This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#18736 June 2nd, 2004 at 02:42 AM
A
Ashley Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I have a Peace rose thats been in its garden for about 2 years. It was pruned back last fall, and it has shown very good growth so far this year, and seems very healthy. I have fertilized it every 3-4 weeks for the past few months. But even though its growing well, its not making any buds for flowers. I'm really not sure why this is. It didn't make buds last year either. I thought that maybe by giving it a trellis it would produce buds this year (i'm not sure whether its a tea rose or a climber. It's a Peace rose and they come in both varieties i think). I've seen a few people say that pruning encourages growth and buds.. should I be pruning at this time of year? If so, how much and how often should I prune?

Thanks for any suggestions you could give me.

#18737 June 2nd, 2004 at 01:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you've got growth I would not prune it. The only pruning that should be done when its in a growth cycle,is trimming any branches that are touching each other and deadheading the spent flowers. Keeping it deadheaded encourages new growth.
What kind of fertilizer are you using? If it is a foliar fertilizer it would explain the growth without flowers. Also what kind of sunlight is it receiving? The amount of sunlight can effect flowering. roses can grow in shaded light,but will not have as many blooms,if any.
Hope this helps.

Karen grinnnn

#18738 June 2nd, 2004 at 01:58 PM
B
B
I'd stop fertilizing for now....until you start getting buds ready to pop....maybe you are fertilizing too much and the leaf growth, and not the flower growth is happening because of it? Just a thought.

I have a few bare root roses that have yet to even develop a bud, but some of the others are budding and almost blooming. The one rose, Memorial day rose....the one i wanted more than any of the others i bought has yet to bud and isn't really growing as nicely as the others, even though i have put it in the *BEST* spot. I am just gonna see what happens with it....hope for the best and if worse comes to worse, buy another memorial day rose...you can never have too many roses!

#18739 June 9th, 2004 at 12:28 AM
Ashley,
How is your rose doing? Any changes? Some roses are one time a year bloomers so maybe its just not time yet Duh but I have a Peace rose and it has bloomed a couple of times already. Last year it didn't do much though. Karen had some really good points. roses grinnnn I hope yours blooms for you soon, they smell great. I gave mine some chicken manure and that seemed to spur it on a bit. Good luck.

Happy gardening!

#18740 June 9th, 2004 at 12:37 PM
J
J
[QUOTE]Ashley, tending roses is somewhat different in Maryland that North Florida, however I had a similar problem with my roses here. Although our sandy soil should be "well-drained", the roses I planted in full sun around my patio simply would not bloom (or produced puny, infrequent blooms). I finally transplanted them to another area of the yard and they are now much happier. I realized that the area around my patio was a low spot and even though the water from our monsoonal rains would percolate into the soil/sand reasonably fast, the roots were essentially standing in water most of the time. By moving the roses to a higher, drier location, they have become healthier, showier specimens. You might try this.

#18741 June 9th, 2004 at 01:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey Jaxiegal Welcome to the forum wavey I'm in Jax too!

Karen grinnnn

#18742 June 10th, 2004 at 12:05 AM
you never mentioned what fertilizer you was useing.
I'd add some epson salts& cow manure& if you compost maybe top dress it with some and if not composter buy a bag of mushroom compost.I use to have a peace rose& it was a hybrid tea one got to be about 4 ft.I had a husky that thought he could chew anything.He dug it up and the rose did not survive& I actually had it planted in front of a drain sprout,sandy soil.It may have bloomed just fine if not for the dog.sure glad he ran away.the cops even picked him up one night...he was in brookshires parking lot pulling up all there lantana.they said he was haveing a blast.they took him back to station and brought him home to us about 7 am.
hollar back what fertilizer you been useing.

Link Copied to Clipboard