This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#18625 September 26th, 2004 at 09:50 PM
M
Mel. Offline OP
OP Offline
M
About a week ago I fed my Venus flytrap a black ant. Well the trap that had the ant recently turn black/brown. It did this in one day! Well I cut the trap off because I was afraid that it might be a disease or something… Is it that ant that caused it or was it just an old trap that died? Oh please help, I don’t want to kill my special plant!!! And what are the feeding dos and donts?! I know that an earwing(spelling?) will kill it…. Thank you in advance!

#18626 October 6th, 2004 at 03:04 AM
i reckon the ant did it. Don't feed any biting or stinging bugs that have venom. Flies seems like a good start. Keep the plant moist. The flowers seem to be constantly dying and growing new ones so don't be too worried. I think they survive well with minimal insects being fed to them. have you done a search on them? Heaps of info available.

#18627 October 8th, 2004 at 02:13 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hello Mel. wavey
Here's some info from Bill at The Garden Helper,
The Venus Fly Trap/Dionaea muscipula

And if you do a FORUM SEARCH and type in VENUS FLY TRAP and you should get some other posts on questions that have been posted in the past on that plant, might give you some more helpful hints!!!

Also, I'm going to move your post into the HOUSE plant section and maybe some more people will also come thru and give you some helpful hints too!

Weezie

#18628 October 16th, 2004 at 12:25 AM
L
L
One tip that I've heard: Don't feed your Venus Flytrap hamburger (or anything else that contains lots of fat)...that will be very bad for the plant. Flies would be the safest food.

Link Copied to Clipboard