This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#18454 February 20th, 2004 at 10:03 PM
syl726 Offline OP
OP Offline
I had a 6 inch Dumb cane (Tropical Tiki) whose leaves started looking bad except for one and I broke it taking it out of the pot mad Anyway, I cut the stalk and it has about 3 tiny nodes and LOTS of roots. What else can I do to help it spout new leaves? I'd originally posted this on the wrong heading of Mystery plants because it's the page I was reading Duh

#18455 February 21st, 2004 at 12:27 AM
you can root with rooting hormone

#18456 February 21st, 2004 at 04:14 AM
Actually, if you stick a cutting in a glass of water in a window it'll sprout roots, though probably not as fast as with rooting hormone.

#18457 February 21st, 2004 at 08:23 PM
A
A
Lots of roots... is it pot bound?If so I say you put it in a bigger pot or maby carefully trim the roots down With a very sharp, sterilized knife or sissors. It should be kept evenly moist but not soggy at all. Don't let it dry out befor watering! But again don't let it stay to wet. It's kind of a picky plant. Keep it in bright indirect light. What were the conditions you had it in befor? Basicly what I can say about why it's leaves died are being in a cold temp or cold drafts cause mainly lower leaves to turn yellow and wilt(maby on the way to your place it got exposed to too much cold) Duh but since it was small maby all the leaves were efected. Dry air is also bad especialy for young leaves. And finally if they were turning brown/drying up then the compost was alowed to dry out to much. If it looks like I know alot it's because I'm reading it out of a book! wink I'm pretty new to the plant word also and I have a dumb cane as well. I think mines a picta camilla. Also the piece of stem as already mentioned can be used as a cutting using a rooting hormone and provide bottom heat. If you already thruogh it out go get it, it's worth a shot I'd think, as long as it's still solid! Just make shure you remember which side was up. Wash it well and make a new cut.
P.S. They call it a dumb cane cause of the efect it has on the mouth and throt so don't lick it. laugh Just making shure you wash your hands after cut it!

#18458 February 21st, 2004 at 08:32 PM
A
A
Hey applescruff :p if their was a graemlin with a fist I'd shake it! Just joking Duh

#18459 February 22nd, 2004 at 12:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
syl,

Do I understand that you broke off the stem and have rooted it in water already and now want it to grow more leaves?

If so, move it into a pot just barely large enough to hold the roots snugly. Use a soilless, peat-based potting mix. Water thoroughly when the surface of the soil feels dry. Provide lots of bright indirect light with a few hours of direct sun - an east windowsill is best. As soon as the roots have filled the pot, then you will see a surge of new leaf growth. That is why I suggested a small pot.

#18460 February 23rd, 2004 at 01:50 AM
As a side note, if you're trying to root a stalk that already has a leaf or two on it it should do really well. I had to cut m dumb cane back (it got top heavy) so I stuck the cuttings in water hoping to have a little extra greenery for a few days. When they were still alive a week later, I discovered that they were growing roots.

Apples,
Don't be mad, I can't help it if I got here before you.

*smile*
applesscruff

#18461 February 23rd, 2004 at 01:08 PM
A
A
I'm not mad. You can be my sister if youd like (meening we came from the same tree) and if thiers someone on here named crabby they can be a sibling that was the runt of the batch! laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard