This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#18404 June 16th, 2004 at 04:19 PM
Nako Offline OP
Greenhouse Pixie
OP Offline
Greenhouse Pixie
Hi! This is a real quick one ^.^ I'll include a few pictures later with photoshop arrows.

Where do the seeds show up in the plant? I wanted to grab a few seeds and plant em in a big pot i have that my ficus came in. Also, how do they germinate? do i just kinda stick em in the soil?

Thanks a lot! wavey

#18405 June 16th, 2004 at 11:06 PM
Hi Phoebe! wavey Bearded iris can be propagated by splitting their rhizomes in August/ September. I dig mine up every other year or so and split the bulbs then replant mom and babies. As far as I know they do not produce seeds, or at least I've never let mine. After the flower dies I cut back the stem but leave the leaves to gather sun and nutrients for next time.

Hope this helps. grinnnn

#18406 June 17th, 2004 at 05:19 AM
S
S
hi Phoebe.
the seeds are in a pod were the flowere was [ looks like a green groth laugh ] & i think they take about a year to germinate. just stick em in the soil.
i also seperate my rhizomes, bout every 3 years.

#18407 June 17th, 2004 at 06:29 AM
Nako Offline OP
Greenhouse Pixie
OP Offline
Greenhouse Pixie
Okie dokie, coolios. I just went to my friend's house, and she has a buncha neat-o lookin iris that are like yellow and dark dark red. They're so pretty! She gave me a bulb smile

I have split open the space below the flower and found lil rows of things that look like either seeds or pods... i donno. They look like a thin stem with two rows of lil stems going up them, and on the end of the lil stems are what looks like seeds. I'm not sure if those are it though. ^.^ if they are it, that's cool, cuz i can get a whole buncha them. The flowers on all my blue irises are all withered, and the spot where the seeds are supposidly, have turned brown too. So yay!

Thanks guys!

Link Copied to Clipboard