This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#18095 December 2nd, 2004 at 11:56 PM
OP Offline
I don't know what is happening! eek As some of you know I am the plant caretaker at my university's library. Recently, the library director purchased six enormous ferns and put them in the library (w/o consulting me, of course), but the poor dears are suffering. Duh Something is up.

#18096 December 4th, 2004 at 02:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well, for starters, your poor ferns are probably suffering from lack of humidity. what i call "pebble trays" sound like they are in order. put the pot on some pebbles that are in a tray of water. water the tray every time you water the fern. just make sure the fern's pot is not sitting in the water, but rather over the water. the evaporation will help keep the ferns humid enough.

secondly, all ferns will "shed" the fronds they have when their conditions change. what you need to do is check to make sure you have new growth. if you do, then it is just a patience issue while it grows in fronds that are suitable to its new environment.

no, your green thumb didn't die overnight!!

#18097 December 4th, 2004 at 04:03 AM
I'll bet those ferns came from a nice humid greenhouse.The pebble trays are a very good solution.
My ferns are in hanging baskets.I mist them twice a week when they have to come inside.

Sorry,they make quite a mess when they shed their fronds.
Don't give up on them though.They are tough and will bounce back.

Good luck. flw flw flw

Link Copied to Clipboard