This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#18068 October 2nd, 2004 at 04:06 AM
S
sg Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Can anyone tell me the proper way to store iris rhizomes to survive a move from Illinois to AZ? Thanks for any ideas.

#18069 October 2nd, 2004 at 04:54 AM
If they still have greens, clip those back. Dig up the rhizomes and shake off the excess dirt and pack them in a box with some kind of dry material, sawdust and newspaper shreds work well. Store in AZ in a cool dry place until ready to plant.

Triss

#18070 October 3rd, 2004 at 01:59 AM
M
M
Would this method work if I dug up my irises this fall and didn't/couldn't plant them until next fall? I have bunches of flags and they need transplanted, but I don't have anywhere to put them back into the ground yet.

Dawn

#18071 October 4th, 2004 at 05:50 AM
I have no idea if they would last that long... sorry...

Triss

#18072 October 4th, 2004 at 03:17 PM
A
A
SG, The advice given was good but not necessary. You CAN pack them in a dry material such as sawdust, but as long as they are kept dry, they will be fine. If you have ever purchased Iris by rhizomes, they look completely dry and dead. The key is getting all the soil off the rhizome and dusting them with a fungicide to keep them from rotting in storage. I suggest digging them up, washing them off with plain water to remove ALL soil and letting them air dry. I would divide them into one , two or three rhizomes and then dust them with a dry fungicide (you can get this at some nurseries or ask them what they would recommend for your climate). Throw them in a brown paper bag and keep them someplace cold (simulating winter)and replant them in the spring. Yeah, you may lose a few but so do commercial growers. Hope this helps. Becki

#18073 October 4th, 2004 at 04:02 PM
Becki,

I have never used a fungicide on any of my bulbs when storing them. And I don't lose too many but have always done that living in CA, Is that more necessary where the winters are colder like here in NE?

Triss

#18074 October 4th, 2004 at 04:12 PM
A
A
Triss, Sorry, but I have no idea as I've never lived anywhere but here in Ohio:). As a landscaper, I have always thought it better to be safe than sorry when it comes to my little flower babies..lol. I don't know if the fungicide is necessary or not, I just know that if any bit of soil or disease that one can't see with the eye is left, it will cause rot to set in, so I've just always done it to be safe. Maybe someone living in your new location could better advise you. Good luck! Becki

#18075 October 5th, 2004 at 06:58 AM
S
sg Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks to those that gave the suggestions.

#18076 October 5th, 2004 at 11:57 AM
M
M
So, I could do that too? Is it safe to have them all together in the paper bag, or should they be separated into layers? Also, how exactly to you divide them? To simulate winter, I have a barn and a garden shed, also a basement. Which one of these would you recommmend.

What part of Ohio? I'm in Enon/Springfield area.

Dawn

Link Copied to Clipboard