This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#17920 August 31st, 2004 at 12:55 AM
L
Lily789 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I've always been interested in the Sensitive plant, called Mimosa Pudica. It has finely divided leaflets on long thin stems. When you touch it, the leaves immediately fold up neatly and hangs downward at an angle. You can watch that happen within seconds! I've heard it has pink, fuzzy flowers blooming within a few months of sowing. I've never seen these plants in any stores or garden parks or greenhouses. Just how common is it? Has anyone tried growing it before?

Also, I've obtained seeds from a store over five years ago. I sowed some, but have produced only one plant which has long died (they don't live that long). There are still some stored in my house, in a cool, dry place. I'm just wondering, do you think these seeds are still viable? Are mimosa seeds "long-lived?"

Thanks for any help!
Happy growing flw !

#17921 August 31st, 2004 at 05:06 AM
lily ~

I used to grow these for my kids when they were little, and actually bought a pack of seeds for myself this year. I started them indoors in March, but they got way too leggy and all ended up dying.

When my son was about 5 - 16 years ago, we actually got some to bloom those pink flowers, but the plant died shortly after. I don't know if it was because they were growing indoors or not.

I would give the seeds a try - what have you got to lose? I don't think I have any seeds left, but I might have the packet still. I'll look tomorrow and let you know - maybe you can order some fresh seeds... if you can't find them locally.

Link Copied to Clipboard