This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#17799 September 25th, 2004 at 04:54 PM
Meg Offline OP
OP Offline
Here's a few photos of the pine tree that my daughter brought home from school in the spring. It went from a "twig" to a "stick"! laugh It's actually growing ok.. it's the first thing I'd ever planted, and I really didn't know what I was doing. We used a pinwheel stick to tie it to, because it was all floppy. It was more roots than twig..lol. Anyways, there's some stuff on it, and wondering what it is? It's been there awhile..
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Meg

#17800 September 25th, 2004 at 08:37 PM
A
A
Well its pretty hard to tell but my guess is mites, but could also be scale. I would say this tho... trees as a normal course of events interact with a wide variety of pathogens and pest generally without ill effects to the tree. As long as the plant is doing well I would not jump to a "cure", in my experence the "cure" often causes more long term significant problems than just letting nature run. For more information uyou may want to check out some information relating to Integrated Pest Management. Good luck.

#17801 September 29th, 2004 at 05:48 PM
Meg,

It almost looks like spittlebug. I can't make out if it's wet and foamy or dry and cottony.

Either way, I'm with my pal Arcto, here. I'd just leave it alone. It doesn't seem to be affecting the health of the tree.

#17802 September 29th, 2004 at 05:54 PM
P.S.- I have a few loblolly on my property, and they are very bendy in their early years. A good snow will double them over. You may want to stake it up once it's in the ground, until it seems sturdy enough to go it alone.

#17803 October 1st, 2004 at 03:41 PM
I see them growing in my woods.They are truely awesome...course the ones I see I bet are 100-150 years old .isone huge one back about 3 miles behind house & I swear the trunk is as wide as a car& its limbs are real thick.

so tell us how your daughter come into growing it?from seed?sapling?do tell.WE ALL WANNA KNOW gab

#17804 October 3rd, 2004 at 07:04 AM
Meg Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, she got the tree around earth day last school year. The FFA high school kids bagged up the tiny trees in those orange newspaper plastic bags. They were more root than tree! The tree was a mere twig, very thin, barely any needles, and very floppy! I had NO IDEA how to care for/plant a tree, and I had NO IDEA how big this loblolly pine could get. We used a pinwheel stick to stake it up, and now, it's thicker around and taller than the stick! It's only been in the ground since April! 5 solid months I think, and it looks pretty good.

Meg

Link Copied to Clipboard