This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#17734 October 15th, 2004 at 03:46 AM
OP Offline
I was watering my houseplants yesterday and I noticed a couple of things. First, many of the plants have soil that has been packed rather tightly from two years of watering. I know in nature soil is naturally broken up and aerated by earthworms and things, so this got me thinking. Could I put earthworms in the pots of my houseplants? Would they have enough room? Food to eat? etc. I've asked around but no one seems to know anything about the dietary habits of earthworms.
Secondly, I noticed that many of my houseplants are growing toward my ligts instead of toward the window. We have the new GE reveal brand lightbulbs that are supposed to similate sunlight. It seems that they have the added bonus of working as plant lights, a good thing when you have all north-facing windows.

applescruff

#17735 October 15th, 2004 at 05:59 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I don't know what the dietary requirements are for earthworms, but I have some that live in my refrigerator that I feed all kinds of stuff to. I give them coffee grounds, corn meal, lettuce, all kinds of vegetables shredded up, bread...well, about everything except meat and milk! (Mine are vegetarians!)

Don't know if they'd live in houseplants, but maybe someone else will know that.

Glad you told me about those bulbs! That is a way cool bonus! I'm gonna get some of them!

Cindy

#17736 October 15th, 2004 at 01:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First, AFGP is right on with her worm diet, they would like a little molasses too, not much, about a teaspoon to a pint of water, applied to soil. As far as 'living' in your house plants, well as long as chemical fertilizers were not used they MAY live there, however I doubt they will thrive or multiply. Raise the worms seperately, then transfer them to your garden. Regular 'garden' soil WILL , after successive waterings, pack down and is not good for houseplants, try to remove as much of the soil as possible and replace with a potting soil of some type....a couple of worms in your flower pot won't do much to aerate the soil there. Duh

#17737 October 16th, 2004 at 01:59 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
cindy, tell me more about the earthworms in the fridge. i am looking for a way to keep some in the house for the same purpose....

#17738 October 16th, 2004 at 02:37 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
earthworms, but I have some that live in my refrigerator that I feed all kinds of stuff to.
errrrrrr... thank you, but now that I think about it, I think I'll pass on your dinner invitation... idea

#17739 October 16th, 2004 at 02:45 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
laugh laugh laugh Don't have the Spaghetti Bill! shk

#17740 October 16th, 2004 at 02:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered