This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
Looking out my back window, and into my newly (well, it is about 3wks old now) seeded area of the lawn, I look out and see all this white stuff. At first I thought...clovers?? Overnight? Went outside for a closer look, and it is mushrooms! TONS of them! What does this mean? My lawn is one big fungus? They are in my flower bed too.

Meg Offline
Murphyette, I suddenly had mushrooms popping up all around today too! Well, I noticed one two a few days ago, but this morning, I had about 3 or 4 *clusters* of them, some coming thru my mulch where I have my shrubs! shk

Meg

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Usually, here, when it rains alot and there's something underneath the soil *whether you know it or not* is some type of a wood product, somewhere's, somehow, over time...
And it's decomposing....

I had a tree in the front lawn on the side of the road, the town cut it down, and ground up the stump... Looked nice, filled in with lawn grass and weeds, never knew there was anything there, until, the next summer, lot's of rain, and mushrooms appeared.....

so, there must have been some type of wood item from under the soil,...could have been a limb, or bark, or sticks or even woodchips????

Weezie

M
OP Offline
M
Yup, that explains it. We had an enormous walnut tree talken out earlier this year. The fork lift on steroids they brought in to take out the tree, left HUGE trenches in the yard. So after the stump was ground, we had no choice but to roto till a whole section of the yard under, and start over with the grass. There is indeed walnut tree chippings mixed in there. Does this mean that whole section of yard is forever at the mercy of a mushroom attack? Do they pose any danger?

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Murphyette,
Does this mean that whole section of yard is forever at the mercy of a mushroom attack?
It's hard to say, but my guess would be, each year they would come back smaller and smaller amounts as the wood render's down...
I had them in front again, but not nearly as much as the year before, I assume for the coming years ahead too....
But if you wanted to dig up the area, move it to the composting area, would be your choice...
Sounds like alot of work, but if you need the area???? Up to you????

Do they pose any danger?
None that I know of??? But, not sure.
If you're not doing anything with the area, leave it be, natures at work...I'm the type to let it go, I like to look at them, so many different shapes.. We had white pine needles pile and had some quite interesting ones this beginning of summer, really neat.

Weezie

Link Copied to Clipboard