This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
OP Offline
R
sca UGH!! sca

That is one noise that I absolutely cannot stand!!! eek frown ters

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
NOOOOOOOOOOOO ters , I was young when we had them before, but oh do I remember them..... frown

R
R
This is the year!!! eek

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Duh i don't ever remember them. wonder if it is one of those things i was out of the country for or if they just don't come this far south Duh angell angell for you!

Locusts or Cicadas?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi I thought this link would help....

Maryland gets tons of them, I remember them so vividly.....seems like they were everywhere.....

cicadas

The sound they make is enough to drive a person nutty..... frown

Forum Hostess
Forum Hostess
Those who experienced the last emergence in 1987 will remember populations as large as 100,000 per acre disrupting outdoor events and sounding off with loud - almost deafening - mating calls.
Yikes! This doesn't sound like it's gonna be too much fun frown

R
OP Offline
R
I have always called the yearly bugs that we get at the end of the summer cicadas and the 17 year one`s locust. You learn something new everyday.

I wonder if locust is the common name?

Here`s a link that shows a drawing:

http://www.rce.rutgers.edu/pubs/pdfs/fs220.pdf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I tell you, I live in a very heavily wooded area....all around me are mountains and trees....I don't want them.....

But I was talking to my mom and we were saying how amazing it is really that they are so accurate, to bury into the ground and come up every seventeen years without fail.....It's also strange to me that this only occurs in the eastern US..... Duh

I think I am more afraid of the shells they leave behind on the tree trunks and sometimes in my gardens -
THEY FREAK ME OUT!!! sca frown shk eek

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was 10 when we last had them and I don't remember the shells, although I do remember the constant noise, and them being splattered all over the windowshield.....

we have cicadas here every summer - though not in the numbers that happen every 17 years - and they ALWAYS discard their shells and leave them all over the garden - it's especially bad in my parents' rock garden which I plant every mother's day!
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW frown :p shk

here is a link to a picture of a shell:
cicada shell!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lynne, that's disgusting....lol I hate any kind of bugs....I don't remember them, but like I said I was only 10....I get squeamish when I find slugs and worms in the soil..... smile I'm a wimp I know.....

Hey does anyone know those walking stick insects.....I had one in my garden last summer for weeks.....aren't they endangered?????

I just tried to do a search on them, but didn't find walking sticks on any endangered list.
We get them occassionally here.
When I was growing up, we were told that the Praying Mantis was endangered -
we used to see them often!

Link Copied to Clipboard