This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#17333 June 6th, 2004 at 02:32 AM
syl726 Offline OP
OP Offline
Please give instructions on performing "Soap Washes" teech Which insects does it help control/rid of?

#17334 June 6th, 2004 at 02:52 AM
soap washes..

I find that soap washes are most effective for spider mites, mealy bugs, and aphids, for scale I generally get out the rubbing alchol.

There are a number of ways that a soap wash can be done and I usually decide by the size of the plant. If it just a little guy I fill up the kichen sink and cover the soil with my hand and turn the plant upside down and wash it, thoughly. If the plant is too large to do this to I put it in the tub and put soap and water in a spray bottle and really cover it! Some people rinse off there plants, I generally don't! The most important thing is to really cover the plant, get under the leaves and in the nooks and crannies where the pests might be hiding!

Hope that this help, let me know if you have any questions!

Ali

#17335 June 9th, 2004 at 03:03 PM
B
B
HMMMM, Soapy Washes

Its easier to mix a solution of water and Ivory Dishwashing Soap in a spray bottle and spray top and bottom of leaves, nodes and internodes. This is ideal for Spider Mites, Dust Mites, and Aphids.

For Scale and Mealy Bug and 30% alcohol to your spray mixture. Gently wipe the pests off with a paper towel after spraying. The Ivory Soap hasn't any anti-bacterial agents in it that may kill the beneficial bacterial in your soil. So for soil Gnats you can squirt the Ivory directly on the soil before you water the plant.

The soap residue will aid in the prevention of re-infestation of your plant, it dehydrates the pests, and leave the leaves looking shiny. If it's for insects that your spraying think about their reproductive cycle and re-treat just prior to eggs hatching, 10 days or so. Don't use soap and water on soft or fuzzy leaves, and NEVER use ALCOHOL on Palms.

Gracious Gardening,

#17336 June 13th, 2004 at 11:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A correction to the above post.

Liquid soap solutions are not effective against fungus gnats. In fact, soap will keep the soil moist and that is just what the gnat larvae want. Sand, diatomaceous earth and potato slices are much more effective with gnats.

Liquid soap sprays do not have any residual effects. Once the soap dries it is no longer effective. That is why complete coverage with the spray or dunking is critical to successful treatment.

Link Copied to Clipboard