This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#169802 May 26th, 2006 at 11:21 AM
T
OP Offline
T
And definately no expert. I came here to learn. I am mainly interested in herb and veggie growing. I just planted some catnip, spearmint and rosemary seeds. Any suggestions? Wish me luck. By the way I am also a Survivalist/Hiker. Which means I love to go out into the woods as often as possible and learn all about edible plants and surviving in the great outdoors. I have posted a few pics in the Mystery plants section. I think they are Black Cherries, But I'm not 100% sure.
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/11/985.html

Did you know that Dandelion leaves are more nutritious than anything you can buy. They're higher in beta-carotene than carrots. The iron and calcium content is phenomenal, greater than spinach. You also get vitamins B-1, B-2, B-5, B-6, B-12, C, E, P, and D, biotin, inositol, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, and zinc by using a tasty, free vegetable that grows on virtually every lawn. The root contains the sugar inulin, plus many medicinal substances. Think about that next time you see a dandelion in your garden or yard. Take a look here for more information.
http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/plants.Folder/Dandelion.html
Well that is all for now. see yall around smile

#169803 May 26th, 2006 at 01:37 PM
Welcome to the forum. It's nice to have you here. We have gardner's of all sorts here so I'm sure you will fit in just fine.

I'm interested in your information about "edible" plants, I've always thought that such things could be quite useful. And I have enough dandelion seeds around here to probably supply an army. LOL. I'm into "naturopathy" so, I understand fully well where you are coming from.

So, I'll give you a few more "helpful" tips. 1) Vinegar has MANY uses...one of which is a natural antiseptic for cuts, scrapes, etc. It is capable of killing "unknown fungus" when rubbing alcohol can't. I will also tell ya that if ya use it on an "open wound"...grit ya teeth cause it's gonna HURT. Garlic, Oregano, and onion are all natural antibiotics. Garlic (raw) is the most potent one, followed next by oregano, then onion. Peppermint and other mints work well on sore throats as well as coughs. Have been using warm peppermint tea with my son for several years now to help calm coughs and congestion when his allergies seriously flare up. potato has a medicinal use as well. If you get bit/stung by something (spider, bee, wasp, etc) cut a strip off of the potato (not too thick, about the thickness of a quarter...make sure the skin is still on it) put the white part down over the bite and tape down. Change several times within 24 hours, it will draw out poisions and stingers. Not suitable for snake bites though because it's not fast enough. And hickory can cure an ear infection! I know that you have to hold the hickory stick/twig over a hot flame and the liquid that comes out must be caught in a spoon, drip that liquid into the infected ear (a few drops) and the infection will be GONE!

Anyways, thought I'd share the knowledge I have with you. smile

#169804 May 26th, 2006 at 02:28 PM
Hi thomast77! wavey

Welcome to the forum!

#169805 May 26th, 2006 at 03:39 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
wavey I knew that about the dandelion..
The Europeans brought it over here,
as salad food, and it sorta "escaped" on them..

thumbup thumbup

#169806 May 26th, 2006 at 03:49 PM
Welcome to the forum thomast77! wavey I have learned several things just by reading through this thread before posting my little two cents worth. The only thing I knew about dandelions were that htey will make your nose a really neat shade of yellow if you rub the flower on your nose. teech My older brothers taught me that! lol laugh Seriously, tho- welcome!

#169807 May 26th, 2006 at 09:39 PM
Hi thomast77 wavey
Welcome to the forum
Nice to meet you.
Well, I did not know that, thanks for sharing thumbup
[Linked Image]

#169808 May 27th, 2006 at 10:54 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Thank You all for the warm welcome smile

Link Copied to Clipboard