This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#16887 August 14th, 2004 at 12:24 AM
D
deb789 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I bought this plant named Purslane. Does it need full sun or shade? How much water? Do i add fertilzer for blooms or leave it alone? It is in a hanging basket.

#16888 August 14th, 2004 at 05:33 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Hi Deb wavey
This is the only purslane I personally know about...Is this the purslane you bought?
Purslane Duh
Catlover kit

#16889 August 14th, 2004 at 06:02 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hi Deb,
The one catlover posted is a "wild" cousin...
The one you bought is cultivated, I guess that would be the word for it...
Is it hot pink or like a salmon and yellow mix??
I love those plants...
Very easy to take care of...
plant, in the sun, water just a bit, *it stores water in it's leaves like a jade or aloe vera plant.* It likes nutrient rich soil and loves the sun!!!

I didn't get to get any of those plants this year.

Weezie

P.S. You can collect the seeds too, when the flower dies, there'll be a pod at the end, let
that turn brown and alot of tiny~tiny seeds will come popping out!!

#16890 August 14th, 2004 at 02:20 PM
D
deb789 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks Weezie, Do you add fertilzer to this plant to keep blooming? If so what kind.

#16891 September 13th, 2004 at 07:22 PM
M
M
I love purslane. I bought two plants last year; they thrived hanging out in full sun. I've never fertalized mine, but I don't fertalize anything. I brought mine inside for the winter last year, and they died back quite a bit because I didn't have an adequately sunny spot for them. By this spring, only one had survived and it was very small (four short stems). I set it back outside and began watering it regularly. Within a few weeks, the entire pot had re-sprouted! I didn't ever collect the seeds, but it reseeded itself. This year, it has remained smaller than last year, but that's because it had such a puny start. My blooms are much bigger and brighter this year, though. I'll try to winter it indoors again this year.

Link Copied to Clipboard