This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#167762 January 23rd, 2006 at 05:52 AM
I
I
I started geraniums from seed and they are coming up already. I had good success last year with them for the first time. i would show the pictures, but don't know how to do it here.

#167763 January 23rd, 2006 at 06:02 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Ironside, sent you a PM...

#167764 January 23rd, 2006 at 07:25 AM
Ironside, I saved quite a few geranium seeds but I was told they did not grow true from seed. How was your experience with that? Would love to see pics so I hope Weezie's PM helps with that.

#167765 January 23rd, 2006 at 10:35 AM
I bought a new shelf it is like a bakers rack and very sturdy..It has wire type shelves and I thought that it would give me some extra growing space. LOL I don't think any of us could ever have the amount of space we need, the more space we have the more we need to plant laugh laugh laugh
flw flw flw

#167766 January 23rd, 2006 at 01:04 PM
Sounds great! I wish I had space in the house for something like that. I am gonna put shelves on the porch to harden off stuff, but that is the only space I hav for shelves.

#167767 January 23rd, 2006 at 04:07 PM
O
O
Tammy, I haven't done my seed inventory yet, but I know I'll need 2 or 3 varieties of corn and some lima beans and some Eclipse and Caselode peas as well as eggplant seeds and some Wins All tomato seeds.

#167768 January 23rd, 2006 at 10:13 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
That sounds like a good start on your victory garden. I'm short bush beans for mine but I think they will have to wait until next year. I really need to get the soil a little more broken down and find a way to water before I plant the number of bush beans I would want.

#167769 January 24th, 2006 at 03:51 AM
Hi Everyone wavey

I got the gardening bug and started some seeds on the weekend. I planted geraniums, lobelia, marigolds and wave petunia's, as well as some tomato plants wink . I would like to plant a couple of more things but i will wait and see how these go over the next few days, i have cats who love the windows, although they are all enclosed, so here's hoping muggs Penny

#167770 January 24th, 2006 at 04:35 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Cats and seedlings usually aren't a very good mix but you might get lucky. I hope so anyway. That sounds like a really good start on your garden. I wish you the best.

#167771 January 24th, 2006 at 08:26 AM
Originally posted by comfrey:
LOL I don't think any of us could ever have the amount of space we need, the more space we have the more we need to plant laugh laugh laugh
flw flw flw
That is so true!

#167772 January 24th, 2006 at 09:56 PM
i agree, Duh
but you're right, we never have enough room to start them inside do we wink
Happy Gardening Everyone muggs Penny

#167773 January 24th, 2006 at 10:02 PM
I found the room last year to grow many but when it was time to harden them off...what a pain transferring them up and down the stairs!!! I have to find the room closer to the door this year!! laugh
I'm making the trip to Walmart today for the seeds I need. I made a list and I promised myself I'd only buy what's on the list!! Yeah right!!!
I've already drawn a map of my yard where everything new will be going. I just can't wait!!! clp

#167774 January 24th, 2006 at 10:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Christina, isn't that one of the best parts? Going to buy the seeds...I just love it! I tend to like more unusual flowers that Walmart doesn't offer...and flowers that I can't always afford to buy at the nursery, so seed starting is the way to go....

Let us know what you pick up okay?

#167775 January 25th, 2006 at 03:03 AM
thats what i did was buy only on my list (lol) and i still came home with more, and i am sure before long i will be back getting more Duh
i am sure once i see them growing i will be off to get more, so far so good with the kitties, muggs Penny

#167776 January 25th, 2006 at 03:45 AM
Oh I am excited today. I checked my seeds and to my amazement the Cinnamon basil is already starting to peek up out of the soil. YEAH!!!

#167777 January 25th, 2006 at 04:01 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Lucky lucky Triss, WTG. I love cinnamon basil. I bet I've already mentioned that about a million times right?

Today I only started one seed but I'm really hoping that it goes well. It's a Woodrose and they are fantastic seedpods. It needs 80 degree temperatures so I have it in the kitchen in a terrarium covered with plastic. I have fingers and toes crossed on this one because I only have 3 seeds total. The seeds seem to have a furry soft velvety type coat on them and they are satiny looking. Very pretty and unusual. Wish me lots and lots of luck with this please. I so want it to grow.

#167778 January 25th, 2006 at 04:10 AM
O
O
The first of my replanted tomato seedlings came up yesterday. There was no sign of my peppers yet, but they take longer. I couldn't stand it though, so this morning, I dug around and did find one pepper variety that was just starting to germinate.

#167779 January 25th, 2006 at 04:18 AM
Oh I hope it grows for you Tammy! Good luck!

And Terry, I am eager to get my peppers going. Have to get the bail off the top of the fridge first in a couple of weeks though.

#167780 January 26th, 2006 at 01:56 AM
I have received all of my seed orders now...and I sorted and resorted and made list and made more list of what I am growing from all of the seed i have, mainly the hard part is the flower list....There are so many I want to grow and I have space for a limited amount outdoors, unless I want to build another new flower bed...Which I am sure I won't have the time for. The veggies are my priority and that will be a full time job in the beginning. If this new shelf I bought works out the way I am thinking it will, I am going to buy at least two more for next year...maybe three if I can swing.

#167781 January 26th, 2006 at 02:21 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I know what you mean about the flowers. I'm going for a specimen type garden but even with just a few of each kind I'm going to be out of space before I am out of seeds. Right now I am working on what I can overplant. Like the miniature snapdragons, impatient and chinese houses. These will go on top of the bulb beds and fill in before and after the bulbs bloom. Other things aren't going to be nearly so easy to figure out. I transplanted the lillies and the canna over by the drain spout where they will get afternoon sun rather than all day. I'm hoping they will put up with that.

After that I'm pretty well overwhelmed. And haven't been able to plan anything to my satisfaction in spite of trying and getting lots of help from other members.

Oh I forgot I planted my wild garlic bulblets today woohoo. I love garlic so this is going to be great. It means I'll have some late this year and some next year. So I think I'm set woohoo.

#167782 January 26th, 2006 at 10:08 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Some stuff has started to come up today. Two Cinnamon Basil, one Chinese Lanterns and one of the Orange Flamebush the coral bells are still working on it and I may have killed them. Today when I looked at their planter it was totally dry. These egg cartons really soak up the water and then get rid of it. I guess I'm going to have to work on better tenting for them. That or make humidity trays to float them on.

#167783 January 26th, 2006 at 10:24 PM
wavey Hi All.

Well i went and bought more seeds Duh I wasnt going to but i couldnt resist wink .
I have bought some new ones and was wondering if anyone has ever tried them, "scarlet runner(flower bean) and "chilean glory vine" and the last is :nemophilla or penny black.
I planted them last night and have never tried them but they looked great on the package.
Happy Gardening all flw
Penny

#167784 January 27th, 2006 at 08:05 AM
Have never tried those Penny.

My stuff is starting to come up too Tammy. Here is a pic of my baby hibiscus.
[Linked Image]
and of my sweet basil
[Linked Image]

#167785 January 27th, 2006 at 09:26 AM
Originally posted by tkhooper:
These egg cartons really soak up the water and then get rid of it. I guess I'm going to have to work on better tenting for them. That or make humidity trays to float them on.
Here's a suggestion with the egg cartons, I am assuming you are using the cardboard type. Take a plastic bag and sit the carton down into the bag, so they don't dry out as quickly. That is one reason I don't like those peat pots things is that they dry out to quick and also they are suppose to break down, but I have found large pieces of them in the ground after tearing them and planting the whole thing.

#167786 January 27th, 2006 at 09:32 AM
That's Great Triss thumbup thumbup thumbup
Are the hibiscus all the same color or different colors???
flw flw flw flw

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard