This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#167737 January 18th, 2006 at 11:09 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
It sounds like you have a plan. It's a nice rainy spring day here today weatherwise; and since, the yellow onion may need a cold spell before it will bloom, today seemed like the perfect day to plant it out. So that's what I just finished doing. It has some nice long white healthy roots so I'm going to assume it is possible to grow them this way. I just hope I get some seeds from it.

#167738 January 20th, 2006 at 02:30 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Woohoo!!!

Some of the mixed petunias have sprouted and a couple of the mixed miniature snapdragon. I new if I complained they'd come up just to spite me lol. But they are up and that's the main thing. I guess I ought to wonder outside and see if the onion survived. It was suppose to get good and cold last night.

#167739 January 20th, 2006 at 02:37 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Yep the yellow onion is doing good. It even has to stocks. I'm not at all sure what that means but maybe 2 flowers and 2 seedheads? That would be cool.

#167740 January 20th, 2006 at 10:17 AM
Sounds as if you are have lots of fun starting all of your stuff. I can't wait to get started on mine...But now as the time ticks away I am almost in a panic hoping that I can get everything together, organized and cleaned before it gets time to start my seeds.

#167741 January 20th, 2006 at 09:36 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I know what you mean. I've been organizing almost from the beginning. There is so much that that needs doing. I bring the pots up a couple of days before I plan to use them so that I can bleach them really well and rinse them so that the plants don't get any yuckies from last year. Needless to say I did actually save way to many egg cartons this year but that's ok. I'll have them for next year lol.

And getting one of those plastic drawers about 4"x6" was a really good idea. So I have the seeds alphabetized and they aren't to hard to find when it's time to plant them. And the plant profiles and germination tables are a real boon. So that I plant them at the right time in the right location and all that type of stuff. Last year I lost and then had to move a bunch of stuff because I put it in the wrong place. I didn't even know where the sunny and shady parts of the lawn were. And I've lived here for several years lol. Well Good luck getting everything organized. 2 more days and I start planting the 8 to 10 week stuff. I can't wait of course. I still haven't seen one impatient come up. I guess I'll have to see if they have any plants this spring that I can get at the garden center. They are really hard to find because I like the double bloom impatient. The single bloom don't interest me in the least lol. Leave it to me to be hard to get along with lol.

#167742 January 21st, 2006 at 09:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well I broke down and bought some seed starting trays today, and seed starting soil....and of course I just had to buy some seeds--not as if I need them or anything, I just really wanted them!

Red hot pokers, Seashell Cosmos, Love-lies-bleeding, Giant cactus Zinnias, Red Sun Sunflowers, and Double Sun Gold Sunflowers. thumbup

I can't wait.....I have a little longer, but I'm starting to get excited now! clp

#167743 January 21st, 2006 at 09:47 AM
Loz, did you go to WalMart? I'm going to try to get out tomorrow and find some seeds. We really need a cold snap. Some of my plants, like the peones need cold to get started. It was 60 degrees today.

Wish you guys lived close to me.

#167744 January 21st, 2006 at 09:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yep good old Walmart.....some are Burpee brand, some are Walamrt Gardens brand....97 cents a pack....I could've stood there looking at them for an hour if I were alone, but I had Mark with me so I had to do a quick grab and go.

I wish we were all closer too...We should all open a little town, with all of us living in it. I bet it would be the most beautiful town in the entire country! thumbup

#167745 January 21st, 2006 at 11:05 AM
I despise going to the WalMart here so I'm going to hit some of the hardware stores in the morning. Buy me up some seeds.

#167746 January 21st, 2006 at 11:23 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hey all, I planted a bunch of love lies bleeding today and also some cinnamon basil. I hope they both sprout. I was going to hold off until Monday but "the nosey neighbor" came over and wanted to try sprouting them in his window since I am sprouting them in mine. So I prepared an egg carton for him and put the love lies bleeding in that for him. Then he put up two plant hooks for me. Hopefully they don't fall out of the wall on me anytime soon lol. The cinnamon basil I couldn't resist. I have two matching pots and have my one cinnamon basil in one so I pulled out the other one and planted more of the cinnamon basil in the other one.

#167747 January 21st, 2006 at 02:09 PM
The Wal Mart seed is from Ferry Morse, so that should be good seed. I also looked at the seeds at Wal Mart Thursday and picked up a couple of packs and them put them back....I already have more seeds then I can possible plant. I got my first batch of three seed orders today in the mail, so I getting more and more excited everyday. Tammy what I usually do is spend all of one afternoon cleaning all of my pots, trays etc. I fill the bathtub with hot water pour in a little bleach and put some in to soak and then come back and scrub them and rinse and then add some more...It really turns into an all day affair before it's over...And my bathtub turns really white and clean.

#167748 January 21st, 2006 at 02:18 PM
Add me to the starting seeds bandwagon. I got the stuff I need to start them tomorrow. I will be starting 12 varieties of hibiscus, 6 of each in a 72 pot seed starter kit. I will also be starting some herbs though I have not figured out which ones or in what quantity.

#167749 January 21st, 2006 at 07:02 PM
Ha! Broccoli - I planted them about 4 days ago and put them in the window - one sprouted!

#167750 January 21st, 2006 at 09:06 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
WTG Carly, Triss, and Comfrey,

My nosey neighbor has decided that he doesn't want to garden he just wants to have plants lol. So he brought me a huge bag of Miracle Gro and lots of little pots of different designs. So I'm set for indoor stuff permanently I think.

Tomorrow I'll be starting a bunch of seeds. I should probably moisten the starter soil today it's hard to keep moist in the beginning. Maybe I'll do that a little later.

#167751 January 22nd, 2006 at 01:28 AM
Good news Carly, 4 days is a fast turn around!

Good luck with your starts tomorrow Tammy, what are you getting going?

#167752 January 22nd, 2006 at 02:38 AM
Hi everyone wavey

i have never started my seeds this early but i think i am going to give it a try this year.
i am not sure yet what, but i think some marigolds and verbena.
we have barely had a winter here but it seems to have gone on forever, one day we have green grass and the next we are shoveling and its -20, so as you can tell this is the reason i am getting anxious.
happy gardening everyone flw
Penny

#167753 January 22nd, 2006 at 03:46 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Pennie I think it's to early with you being in Ontario. Unless you have some stuff that requires planting 12 weeks before last frost. For me tomorrow will be 8 weeks before last frost date in my area which is why it's a big planter.

You know I've been planning on pulling out the list and getting the seeds out in case there are any soakers in there but I took a nap instead lol.

Ok here is the list for tomorrow:

How about 6 different types of celosia
Physalis franchetii 'Chinese Lanterns'
Orange Flamebush
Heuchera 'americana' and 'Ruby Bells'

I don't know why but I was thinking there were a lot more than this for the 8 week mark. Me and my pour memory lol. Well wish me luck all the same please.

#167754 January 22nd, 2006 at 04:04 AM
Good luck Tammy. I got sweet basil, cinnamon basil and varigated green and purple basil startedso far this morning.

#167755 January 22nd, 2006 at 04:59 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Good luck with your basils. Other than italian food what else do you use your sweet basil for? Just curious.

#167756 January 22nd, 2006 at 07:10 AM
Spaghetti, salads, and pesto. Then dried I use it to cook all kinds of things, it is great on chicken and pork.

#167757 January 22nd, 2006 at 07:30 AM
M
M
i use a small tupperwear contaner and place my seeds between layers of paper towels....72 hours @ 65-70 degress and i get little sprouts to put in the contaners.
i have a few marigolds started in a quick hydroponic set up they already have their
second set of leaves...started jan 7

#167758 January 22nd, 2006 at 07:41 AM
I
I
I started some Geranium Red Elite Hybrid this week, they are already popping up out of the soil. Will be moving them to the grow lights soon. I have Dahlias, Zinnias, Petunias, tomatoes, kale, and squash to plant later on.

#167759 January 22nd, 2006 at 08:02 AM
I have to get more supplies and set up the grow light under the bathroom sink. Then I can start all my flowers and the rest of my herbs. I want to do things in stages so I do not run out of space.

#167760 January 22nd, 2006 at 10:41 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Muyhan please expand on your set up. It sounds really interesting.

Hi ironsides WTG with the Geranium Red Elite Hybrid. What kind of squash? Does it have time to get big in your zone if you wait?

Triss I think the running out of space is a given lol. I am going to be out of space as soon as the eight week-ers are started. Everything else will have to be started outside or the real warm weather ones I'll start inside after these early inside plants go outside for hardening.

#167761 January 22nd, 2006 at 01:28 PM
I have a plan tammy. I am using the top of the fridge for the initial seed starting for the warmth. then under the bathroom sink they will go, under lights, to grow, then the first stage of hardening will be on the bathroom counter, then to the back porch where I will be building them a "greenhouse" of sorts with a bookshelf and some plexiglass.

I figure the first set that is on the fridge now will be there two weeks, I can put 2-3 sets in the bathroom for 4 weeks each, 2-4 weeks on the counter adn then outside. By that time it will be plenty warm for them to be out there.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard