This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#167329 November 24th, 2005 at 02:04 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Here's the first drawing . . . I just used the MS Paint in the windows lineup there.

Just copy this graphic I drew and choose a spot for your own house and garden. Then post the updated drawing - then somebody else can add to it.

[Linked Image]

#167330 November 24th, 2005 at 02:11 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
You might want to pick a space for your lot near the shopping area - or have your yard back out onto the woodlands (see my wierd trees).

Feel free to replace the trees, or even put a river in if you like.

Once you've chosen your place, you can crop to that area and work on your own lot from there.

I guess we've got to decide where this place is - Canada? The US? England? West coast? Another planet?

#167331 November 24th, 2005 at 09:21 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Ahhhhhhhhh! This one worked - so you can put your new graphics back in here.

Are you confused? Oh good . . . me too.

#167332 November 25th, 2005 at 02:43 AM
Nice going, Carly! thumbup Of course, you would get technical on me right off the bat, & want our Village to be in a particular zone! frown Well, I'm so new at this, that I'm gunna plant anything I want at my house . . . cuz I don't know any better! thumbup laugh [Linked Image] (That topic is closed now, so I couldn't comment there) Black isn't her color tho' & she shouldn't cut her hair so short!! [Linked Image] </i>

#167333 November 25th, 2005 at 06:49 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
OK - just put your updated drawing on this thread . . . the other one has been 'locked', so we won't be getting mixed up. I guess somebody will eventually delete it.

#167334 November 25th, 2005 at 12:08 PM
Pretty cool Carly.

#167335 November 25th, 2005 at 12:34 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
OK - so I'm waiting . . . go ahead and copy/paste the map I made - then open up your paintbrush program (or whatever else you like to use).

Make a shape for your lot and place it in the village, then copy paste and put it back in here.

I'm being polite - I haven't chosen my lot yet. I'll let somebody else choose.

C'mon now - toikey day is over. You ate too much anyway, so you don't need to go back to the kitchen one more time.

(pssst . . . get me some potato salad, if you do)

#167336 November 25th, 2005 at 01:13 PM
So, how come I'm FIRST here? I should make you stake your claim first, so I can see how you're going to do it! As I started working on mine, I realized that Carlyville MUST be on a different planet, cuz the trees are monstrous! I think they're related to the Giant Redwoods like they have in Calif, or the Giant Cedars in NW Montana. Other than those, I've never seen trees this big! (I can't wait to see what the flowers look like! LOL!) thumbup

So here's my place:
[Linked Image]
I decided to go big, cuz I might hire a gardener anyway, but I deliberately made the house smaller, with 2 Bedrooms & a Den, to discourage my kids from thinking they can move in with us! Ha ha!

BTW, I bought the cement mixer at an auction the other day, for $20 but won't be needing it anymore now, so it's for sale to anyone who wants to pour their own slab. ($25.00!) :p If I can't find a buyer, I suppose I could make a planter out of it!! idea (Now aint that a classy idea?!

We need people for this village, so I hope somebody else will hop on board here! (Dang, Carly, I hope I'm not the only 1 who liked your idea!) Being that we have no City Planners or a City Council yet, I took it upon myself to name the streets (so I could find my way back home)! I suppose when we need stuff like this, the decisions can be made by the 1st person who thinks of it, huh? Don't assume that I think I can make all the rules... YOU are the Mayor of this place, you know, so all you have to do is take charge!

Your turn!

#167337 November 25th, 2005 at 02:11 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Yeah - you got the hang of it - Carlyville Avenue - ok.

I'm the Mayor? Whoa!

Well, as the Mayor, I invite the next person to copy/paste the graphic with Patty's lot on it and choose a lot for themselves.

I'm going to work on the layout of my lot tomorrow, then I'll decide where to put it.

BTW - don't worry about running out of room - if the village fills up, we'll just expand.

#167338 November 25th, 2005 at 02:50 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm going to work on the Shopping Area . . . so go ahead and choose your lots.

Seeing as how I've been elected Mayor, I'd better decide where I'm building my Town Hall - up by the shopping, I guess.

(Is this village about to become a town?)

#167339 November 25th, 2005 at 09:00 PM
I have no idea what I'm doing???????

Now it won't let me psste in my reply???

#167340 November 25th, 2005 at 10:26 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
I made a duplicate thread by accident - somebody locked that one - you were probably trying to post it there.

#167341 November 25th, 2005 at 11:30 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Here's my latest - I've chosen my lot. Also, I've made a few changes - I took those big trees out (they were too big really). If anybody wants to put trees back in, go ahead.

I've also put the 'downtown' area of the village in (if a village has a 'downtown' area')

But it's just a place where the shops can go and the town hall, of course.

Like I say, don't worry about running out of room - at least 30 people (families) ought to be able to live in this village - we'll just expand the picture as we go along.

[Linked Image]

#167342 November 26th, 2005 at 05:09 PM
Mel, I have no idea what you're doing, either! (Sounds like a touch of Turkey Overdose to me! ) Were you trying to add a sketch, to stake your claim on a piece of land in Carlyville? If that's what wasn't working for you, the only thing I can figure is that you didn't click on "Full Reply Form" Of course, I realize that you've been around here longer than a lot of us, so you MUST know that, but it's the only reason I can think of, why it wasn't working for you. (Or were you really on Carly's closed reject page?) Please try again... we need neighbors!

Carly, thanx for taking the trees out... but you left me with no shade! I think the new ones must be fast growing fruit trees of some sort, huh? (Too many more of those plantings, with that spray can, will give you Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, you know!) laugh BTW, which way is North around here? ("UP" maybe?) That'll work for me (even though it still won't solve my shade issue, after I went & planted another big Evergreen tree by my house today!), but I'd rather have the full day sun across my whole back yard, for what I'll be planting, I think. There's still plenty of shade in front for Hydrangeas & stuff that don't seem to do well in the all-day heat.

...don't worry about running out of room - if the village fills up, we'll just expand.
Right, Carly. If this catches on, we might surpass Village AND Town , & turn this Popsicle stand into a CITY !! (Right on, kiddo-THINK BIG!) thumbup Just as you have to turn a page to go to the next place in an Atlas or a Thomas Guide, if we do need to expand, we'll just start numbering the sections of Carlyville, & property owners will have to note which section they're in, on their Platt maps & photos, so people can find them on the zoomed-out page!

While we're "thinking big", I'd like to suggest that you hold down the "expansion" of your drawings (...to a width of less than 640 pixels!) As close as I could figure, your last sketch was 1,000 & my mouse is having nervous breakdowns anymore, scrolling horizontally so I could read the page! sca I'm sure that you'll agree that its important that we try to run a nice, neat village here, anyway!)</i> I might have a pretty old version of the MS PAINT program & it doesn't have a resizing feature in it ...I don't know if yours has it or not. I bring up 1 of my ArcSoft Studio programs to resize, before I put my image files on Photobucket.com.
(Carly, if you use PhotoBucket, I think I can help you fix this page so it's more user friendly... but it IS sort of involved! I fixed 1 of my own one time, after it was already posted & too late to edit, so PM me if you use Photobucket & are interested in fixing your image sizes.)

I also convert any .bmp files to .jpg while saving the new size, cuz it reduces the size of the image file by about 80 times, & it uploads lots faster (...not to mention that .bmp files take up a ridiculous amount of space on the Hard Drive!) When copying a Carlyville sketch from this page so you can edit it (right-clicking on the sketch, then clicking "Save Picture As"), your choices of file extensions are only going to be .bmp or .gif (it's a browser default thing) so if you want to save the sketch as a smaller file in your Hard Drive, you'll need to convert it with a program that has a Picture Editor feature, then delete the .bmp file. & don't forget to dump it from your Recycle bin as well, cuz if it's [i]anywhere in your machine, it's still taking up space! [/i] NOTE: If you plan to put the sketch in MS PAINT, to make changes on it, make sure that your picture editing program supports .gif files before saving with that file extension! (Mine doesn't.)

Man, I'm sorry to have gone on about this, but I think it's pretty important, so we can make this whole experience fun for anyone who wants to join us. (As well as for the people who might want to follow our progress.) The type of file you use isn't nearly as important for our purposes here as the size is, however, & that's really what I want to emphasize: The width of image files posted here should be no more than 640 pixels. {The largest ones I ever post are 600.)

(Is this village about to become a town?)
Interesting point! I looked it up & here's a couple things that Merriam Webster has to say about the diff between a Village & a Town:
VILLAGE: an incorporated minor municipality.
(territorial area having the status of a village especially as a unit of local government.)
TOWN: a compactly settled area usually larger than a village but smaller than a city (a large densely populated urban area)

"...especially as a unit of local government", I'm guessing, would mean that if the Mayor wants to call it a Village, it's a Village! ...and YOU are the only Government we have at the moment! (OMG!! sca )

BTW, as long as we're taking care of the technical items; you weren't elected Mayor, you were appointed ...& that's only cuz I'm the only other 1 in town, & I'm too busy to be in charge! Besides, we couldn't even register to vote or go to the polls, since there was no Town Hall at the time! (Oh, and "Town Hall" is just a figure of speech here, I take it. We can't call YOUR OFFICE "Village Hall", cuz that sounds more like a place where we should have dances ... but you have an image to maintain, Ms. Mayor... better not get caught partying in your office!) I see that we have a post office & a bar... so, when are you going to build us a Night club?! wink

All I did today was clean up my slab, from all the stuff that blew over to my place while you were ripping those monster trees out, then I planted a new 1 (in the wrong place, cuz I don't think my house is going to be in its shade, after all)! confused
[Linked Image]
Oh, & I see that you must live on Woodland Road (no street sign yet), since it doesn't look like a "municipality maintained thoroughfare"! Are you going to pave it? (I think you'd pay less taxes if you leave it "natural" & bring in some river rock for it!) Are you going to make a street sign for Carlyville Ave? My hand-made sign looks pretty tacky!

#167343 November 26th, 2005 at 11:16 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Woodland Road (Drive). Hmmm . . . well, I think the Woodland Drive that you created can continue on round the bend.

If you want to take that into your latest update, go ahead. If not, I'll do it next time I do an update. Doesn't matter, I guess.

As for that tree removal, if you'd like to put more trees in, that's fine. I'll probably put some over on my side - gotta' have some shade. I guess that's because I'm so used to working with land that's got a lot of shade, I just can't imagine dealing with a lot of sun lovers.

I haven't read through the whole of your long post yet this morning - I'll wait for the movie - ha ha!

I'll read through it later on.

My cold seems to be flagrant again today so I'm taking it easy till later on in the day - I'll take a Citran drink around noon and spend the afternoon in bed.

We're supposed to get warmer weather for Sunday, so I want to be well if I'm going to go out and enjoy it.

We have about 3/4 of an inch of snow - that will either wash away with tomorrow's rain or it will freeze up . . . hope it's not the latter.

BTW - if anyone's having a problem doing this copy/paste or creating an updated graphic, let me know on the PM.

Melcom - if you really can't get a graphic up, let me know - I'll give you my e mail addy on the pm (INTER FORUM E MAIL) and take your update up to my server.

#167344 November 27th, 2005 at 11:46 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
OK - here's my update - I've filled in the streets properly and expanded it a bit.

[Linked Image]

#167345 November 27th, 2005 at 03:02 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I see that we have a post office & a bar... so, when are you going to build us a Night club?!
I wanna be HEAD BARTENDER!!!! wavey thumbup p cool lala

#167346 November 27th, 2005 at 05:48 PM
ATTENTION, Forum Members:
Speaking on behalf of Mayor Carly (3052 Woodland Drive - Carlyville, GH-WWW):
Carlyville is now recruiting for the positions of Head Barkeep (and patrons). Applicants should stake their claim to a parcel of land, be ready to plant a garden and share gardening information, as locals only will be considered for these positions. thumbup TO APPLY: Simply right click/save map image file (above), use MS PAINT (or any picture editor program) to stake your claim, then post your update on this thread.
If you need assistance, send a PM to Mayor Carly.

Very truly yours,
Patty
6889 Woodland Drive
Carlyville, GH-WWW

#167347 November 27th, 2005 at 09:26 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
OK, thank you Patty, for your looking after the Mayor's interests while she's sleeping.

Like I say, if anybody needs help with staking a claim on the drawing, let me know. There are a few ways you can go about this.

The word processing programs have drawing functions too - it doesn't have to be complicated - for that matter, you can just slap an X where you want your lot and I'll do the rest.

#167348 November 27th, 2005 at 09:37 PM
Carly, I have no idea what I'm doing incorrectly. I've tried and tried to place Major Manor on the map but I can't make it paste back on the Forum. I've copied and pasted in email, IM correspondence, and Word. Anyway, I'm there in spirit.

#167349 November 27th, 2005 at 09:53 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Folks, don't feel intimidated if you can't get the hang of this . . . I realize everybody doesn't get into 'desktop publishing', then bust their heads for a year learning to do it - ha ha!

I took a course in 1996 to learn to do it. When I started that course, I was boggled.

Sheri, place your mouse over the last image - click the right mouse button, then tell it to 'copy'.

That puts the image on the 'clipboard', then all you have to do is open up your paintbrush program (on the accessories, under 'programs').

Here's two urls that contain instructions for using paintbrush programs:

http://www.dtp-aus.com/how-to.htm

http://www.wsd1.org/lgc98/teach/Paint/makefish.htm
Hope this helps.

#167350 November 27th, 2005 at 09:59 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
BTW, this can be done in MS Word too - you can use the drawing function on it - or if you've got MS Publisher, that's a good program too.

You can do it in Front Page as well.

I don't advise getting into Corel Draw - it's just too much to take in all at once. I never did get the hang of their recent programs. I found it complicated enough in '96 when I took the desktop pub course - now it's a monster.

If you don't have time to experiment with this, just let me know exactly where you would like your plot of land and I'll put you there.

#167351 November 28th, 2005 at 03:33 AM
The problem is not using Paint, it's getting the finished product to paste to the Forum. Can't seem to do it.

#167352 November 28th, 2005 at 06:32 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
You do it the same way you put a photograph up - whoever hosts your photos online will host the drawing - you can even put it up as a bmp.

But why do that - you can convert it to a jpg and it will take up less room on your drive.

Send me your drawing - wildcity@rogers.com - and I'll put it up for you, if you like.

#167353 November 28th, 2005 at 08:40 AM
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard