This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#16634 February 21st, 2004 at 04:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ok, the seeds i started for the cantelopes have made 3 nice new plants. what now?? Duh one of them has roots all sprouted out the sides, but it is still too soon to put them outside. help!

#16635 February 21st, 2004 at 07:01 AM
Oh oh Jiffy mouse, how soon will you be able to plant them?Thats one of the tricks about starting from seed is timing it so they are just the right size to plant at the time you want to plant them.I've started too soon many times.I keep transplanting them into bigger pots if its just a matter of a week or two, but some plants transplant better than others.How big are they and how soon can they go in the ground?

#16636 February 21st, 2004 at 03:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Naughty, naughty Jiffy, laugh Yep, like Shamarion says, do you best from keeping them from getting rootbound, You'll be fine

#16637 February 21st, 2004 at 11:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
oh, they aren't close to root bound. and I am planning to put them in a container anyway, i just can't remember how big a container to put them in Duh and can i put all three in the same one or do I need 3 containers?

#16638 February 22nd, 2004 at 03:35 AM
R
R
How big and what type of container are they in now? Most melons and squash have spreading root systems with a much smaller tap root. If you can put it in a larger container, it will buy some time. How long til you're frost free? They will have a better chance in individual containers. In a pinch, you could use a large coffee can with the plastic lid becoming a new bottom. Cut the side of the can all the way down and tie it shut with wire or strong twine. Then when U put it out, just remove the bottom, cut the twine, and slide the can off the top. With care, you can move some big plants this way. I've also made square boxes out of scrap wood (not plywood or other glued wood products) with large gaps between the boards and on bottom, at least a couple inches worth, and wrapped the box with plastic. Then I peel off the plastic and plant the whole box, letting it rot.
Rick

Link Copied to Clipboard