This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#165730 July 14th, 2006 at 03:38 AM
OP Offline
Hi,

I'm from the lonestar state and i'm 28yrs old.
I've never wanted anything to do with plants, flowers, trees...and so on. BUT, just this year I started having ideas pop in my head about planting flowers, trees...lol
My mother has a beautiful yard, and she loves to garden. Since this year looking at her BEAUTIFUL front and back yard, I've wanted to start my own:)
She has given me great ideas on where to start, but I still would love input on what flowers and trees grow great in texas.
I don't want my house to look just like my moms.
I would rather have a different look, so she could be proud of MY yard.
SO....what i'm getting at is that i would LOVE ideas on what kind of flowers, trees, or anything that might help me start.

Thanks,
Miranda

#165731 July 14th, 2006 at 03:40 AM
OP Offline
Oh, by the way.....please start me off easy. I need something that will not be too hard;)

#165732 July 15th, 2006 at 07:22 AM
Hi Texasgirl!! wavey I'm From Grandprairie, TX.. And I have learned soooo Much from this site! I understand what you mean by not wanting your yard to look like anyone elses !! easy ones to grow for DFW area is blanket flower, cone flower, dahlia, roses, snapdragons, jasmine, moonflower vine or bush, cactus of course laugh ,lavender, lambs ears, dusty millers, and many many bulbs,, Post in the plant and flower thread and many of us can get you started

although you may have the same flowers how you arrange planting and yard art is the key! For example you could have "themed" area , i.e. Frogs, or any animal you really like, or garden gnomes , etc actually I have alot of cherubs but I also reserve an area for a safari themed with elephant statues and elephant ears plants / with love lies bleeding plant with bamboo stuck in the ground here and there,, I recently recieved "thatched huts" as bird houses as a gift and will put those there also as it goes with the them, (now I just need some Zebra, giraffes LOL) and so far it looks pretty cool!!!!, My neighbor has elephant ears but I must say Mine look better because of the theme built around them and right now garden ridge and such stores are clossing out alot of that stuff and preparing for fall merchandize so now is the time to buy buy buy go have a look and get some idea and you can design you own unique gardens ,, or even a sitting area plant fragrant flowers I will look for a posting from you in plant and flowers and will then list some easy start flowers and bulbs and such ,

Looks like I got a little winded here lala !
I took me a while to figure out what plants and flowers can tolerate this heat and drought..

I'm looking forward to your post!

Diane

#165733 July 15th, 2006 at 08:10 AM
Hey there Texasgirl! wavey

Nice to meet you and glad you are getting interested in gardening! My oldest daughter just recently "got the garden bug" and her yard, although she is just getting started, looks completely different than ours! A garden really is a reflection of the person that builds it! Have patience and know that it is a work in progress and enjoy the "little" things and processes along the way! Glad you are here and looking forward to hearing how your garden grows!

#165734 July 15th, 2006 at 08:44 AM
[Linked Image]

Hi Miranda. wavey Welcome to the Forum. Come often and enjoy. We have a lot of members from Texas and I'm sure they will be able to help you out as to what grows well in your area, along with your local nurserys. Looking forward to getting to know you. smile Sue

#165735 July 15th, 2006 at 09:40 AM
Hey Texas...You will love the site..and be planting in no time
nice 2 meet you

#165736 July 15th, 2006 at 12:50 PM
Tx gal you would LOVE winter sowing seeds in milk jugs to plant out in spring.I can hook you up in the fall with a brugmansia cutting that will make your mom drool. gab They open at night and are very fragrant.
[Linked Image]
I have pink too.

PM me your addy and I can send you some seeds. a few you can sow and see bloom this year.

#165737 July 16th, 2006 at 02:15 PM
Hi there..

Welcome to the Forum..

Its nice to meet you!

#165738 July 22nd, 2006 at 09:12 PM
Hi Miranda! wavey

Welcome to the forum! muggs It's nice to meet you and I hope to see you around on some of the forums!

Have a beautiful day! flw flw flw

#165739 July 23rd, 2006 at 06:27 AM
Hi Tex,
I was born and raised in South Texas, near Corpus Christi, and even though the climates are different, some natives of Texas still prefer the classics. I like bluebonnets and indian paint brushes, but large pecan trees and some ground cover like hostas, or an ivy are also beautiful. Themes are also a good idea. An easy bet would be to try a bulb garden. Bulbs are usually easy to begin with, and depending on what you plant, you can get a great variety. My first garden was a bulb garden and it is still doing great! Another great thing about bulb gardens is the fact that you can multiply the plants and divide to place your favorite flowers in other locations as your garden matures;) Good luck and happy gardening!

Link Copied to Clipboard