This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#165032 August 31st, 2003 at 12:44 AM
B
Bill Offline OP
The Garden Helper
OP Offline
The Garden Helper
B
I've tried to set up features on the Gardener's Forum to make it as easy as possible to navigate through the pages, find help and have fun. Many members, old and new, seem to be unaware of what they can do here, so I will try to explain some of the features to you. You may find the FAQ page or the UBB code page helpful if I don't explain these features quite as well as I should.... Please keep in mind that I have chosen not to enable every feature (such as member ratings)

1. At the top of each page you will find the Garden Helper masthead. This will allow you to explore and wander through the 1200 pages of the site without getting too lost. There are links on the masthead to take you to different areas of the site, and with a click you can always transport yourself right back to the forum!
  2. Directly below the banner ad, you will find a "Garden Search" box. This search enables you to look for informational pages which I've already compiled, as well as named photos and other pertinent stuff found in the main part of The Garden Helper.
  3. If you have already entered one of the forums you may find a [Linked Image] or a [Linked Image] button, so you can add your comments. These buttons also appear at the bottom of each topic page.
  4. The information bar includes:

1. Profile/Messages... From here you can edit most of the information which you created in your profile as well as send and receive private messages if you have enabled this feature in your profile.
  2. The Registration button enables "drop in" visitors to quickly register if they decide that they have something pertinent to add to the forum. (You must be a registered member to post new topics or to reply to existing ones....)
  3. The Forum Search will only search through the posts and replies on indidvidual forums or the entire Gardener's Forum. It can be very helpful inasmuch as you won't have to ask questions that have already been answered in depth! You can also search for posts by member number.
  4. The FAQ page may answer any questions that I haven't covered here!
  5. The Gardener's Forum.... takes you back to the start category page of the forum.

• The welcome bar shows you where you are in the forum. i.e: The Gardener's Forum » Plant pests and problems » Word of advice.... » Post A Reply This enables you to go back to any of the sub-areas without going all the way back to the start page. On the startup page this bar area contains a link to all new topics posted since midnight, the total number of members and who the newest member of the forum is!
  • There are twenty one different publicforums (so far) which cover different areas of gardening, games, photos and plain old friendly chat. If you are posting a new topic, please try to use the most appropriate forum for your question. Don't ask how to care for your Philodendron under the "Lawn care problems". Some members may only browse through "Houseplants" and consequently may never have the chance to answer your question! Likewise... I've noticed that a topic may suddenly change to a completely new subject. While this is a minor thing, some members may miss out on some helpful information when the quickly browse the topics and think that because the topic of "Daylilies" doesn't interest them there is no point in reading it, when in reality there may be more info about Roses that has been posted in that topic than there is about Daylilies. For the benefit of other members, please don't be afraid to start a "New Topic" if you would like to change the subject!
  • A couple of the forums are for my own use when it comes to "Posting New Topics" but you are always welcome to post a reply with your thoughts and comments!

1. On the entry page, the first column before the forum titles includes a rose.
    An open rose indicates that there have been new posts since your last visit.
    A rose bud indicates that you've already read all the posts in that forum!
  2. The links to pages and posts that you have already visited will be in red, new posts and pages are in blue...

When you are adding a new topic or posting your replies...

1. Try to provide an interest catching subject!
  2. The message Icons may help to portray the mood of your post.
  3. As you post your message, you can add up to EIGHT (maximum of the instant Graemlins with a quick click. If you want them to appear in the middle of your post, be sure to add them as you type your message. If you try to add them after you've finished, they will all show up at the bottom of the message!
  4. Instant UBB (Ultimate Bulletin Board) codes allow you to add URLs, images, and other highlights easily. A java script pop-up will help you with these features. Images will only show up if you have added a complete URL to the image! UBB code is an alternate to HTML because I don't allow members to use HTML (it's too easy to screw up a page if you make an error in HTML) There is more UBB coding available that isn't included with the "Instant UBB". Go to http://www.thegardenhelper.com/cgi-bin/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=ubb_code_page to learn more!
  5. At the bottom of the posting page, you will have the option of Email Notification (if you have enabled this in your profile); Show Signature (if you provided one in your profile) and disabling the use of smilies in your post.
  6. Members may edit their own posts but they may not delete them (You can opt to edit your post and remove all the text if you'd like)!

Each post or topic begins with the members info line.

1. The User name...
  2. The time and date the original message was posted
  3. [Linked Image] The users profile... where you can View Recent Posts, Send New Private Messages, Add to Your Ignore List, or Add to Your Buddy List
  4. [Linked Image] View their homepage (if they have one)
  5. [Linked Image] Send them a private message.
  6. [Linked Image] Member may edit their own posts.
  7. [Linked Image] Use this link to quote the original post when you are replying. (this may be helpful when you want to specify who you are directing your response to)

Visit Ronni\'s play page if you would like to test some of these features....

OK? What did I miss?
:rolleyes:

OOPS!
* I didn't mention the " UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!" link.
This is a fast and easy way to send any useful information that you might find here, to a friend. Perhaps a flower photo they'd like? This only sends a pre-formatted, short message from you, telling the recipient that you think they might like whatever is on that particular page, and provides a clickable link for them. No-one has to become a member to benefit from all the shared knowledge that can be found here, but who knows? They may become our newest member!

** You member status is automatically up-rated from Gardener to Garden Helper when you post (or reply to) your 11th message

#165033 October 26th, 2005 at 09:00 PM
Guess what, that did help. Thanks clp

#165034 November 25th, 2005 at 11:43 AM
Thanks Bill,

As a new member I was feeling some sort of being lost here. I am better now.

#165035 November 26th, 2005 at 07:54 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Don't ever be lost...Noosh,
There's a ton of members here,
all able to help with any question...

Besides the hostesses, there's Cindy/Afgreyparrot, Vanessa, G~mom, Merme, Meg, Lynne/plants~n~Pots, Barleychown, Bestofour, Carly, Mel, Duckie, ohhhhhh the list goes on and on..

#165036 November 27th, 2005 at 12:11 PM
Yes that's right Weezie wink , I really like here and keep reading diff topics

It's so cool in here! Aside from the forum, I am appreciating all of the work that was put into The Garden Helper calendar and other information! I can't stop reading!!! LOL Must... go... to... bed... must...sleep <struggling to turn away>! I hope I dream of growing lovely flowers!
'Night all!
And thanks to Bill and all of the hostesses/hosts!

Thanks Bill I need all the help I can get when it comes to this computer stuff.

Bill, I just clicked on your link "Ronni's play page" and it said "Sorry, this topic doesn't exist, it was probably moved to archives". kissies

B
Bill Offline OP
The Garden Helper
OP Offline
The Garden Helper
B
Ronni's play page was just a topic set aside for new (and old) members to practice posting pix and learning the different ubb options. I have no objections to anyone starting a new topic for this purpose.

I am very glad that the tutorial has been helpful for members who feel a little lost when they first start to use our forum. All of the features here are really fairly basic, but I'm sure that it seems a bit overwhelming when they first arrive here.

teech If anyone (old or new) has any questions after reading the tutorial, please feel free to contact me or one of my beautiful hostesses and ask away! That's what we are here for!

The only stupid question (about using the forum or caring for your plants) is a question that doesn't get asked...

wink

Thanks so much!! This is a great reference!! flw

When I post a reply or ask a question, is there a short cut to getting the answer. I have to go up to the top and click on the Banter Hall, for example, then click on the page and scroll down to the bottom to see if someone else has posted my answer. Or is there something that I'm missing. I've heard others talk about refreshing the page. What is that?

confused Duh Sue

[Linked Image]
I forgot to thank you for the tutorial, Bill. It helped me a lot. Hugs, Sue

Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I've heard others talk about refreshing the page. What is that?
You see that little piece of paper icon on your toolbar with the 2 green arrows on it?...right next to the icon that has the red X on it? That's the thing you click that will refresh your page.

You can also push the F5 button on your keyboard to refresh.

B
Bill Offline OP
The Garden Helper
OP Offline
The Garden Helper
B
Any time you post or reply, you can also scroll to the bottom of the page and select "Email Notification: emails sent to you whenever someone replies."

#165046 August 13th, 2006 at 02:25 PM
Hi Bill,
Hopefully you can answer my simple question. I'm a newbie here. I have a question regarding a problem Bougainvilla in my garden and wanted to post a picture as someone may immediately know what's wrong with my plant.

Can we post or add pictures when we start a topic? If so, what is the easiest way. Not to great with computers. frown

Thanks

#165047 August 14th, 2006 at 01:03 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Can we post or add pictures when we start a topic? If so, what is the easiest way.
floweringchild,

A picture is worth a thousand words... wink

It's easy to post a picture here.

The picture needs to be uploaded to a server. Most everyone here uses Photobucket.
www.photobucket.com
It's very easy. It takes just a minute to join Photobucket, and it's super easy to use...and FREE!

You upload your photo there, then there is a thumbnail of the picture, with 3 lines under it..."Url", "Tag", and "Img".
You just highlight the bottom line (Img) then right-click and copy it, then paste it right into your reply post.

At the top of the thumbnail photos there is an "edit" button, where you can resize your picture. The pictures posted here can't be over 640x480.

If you need any help please let me know.

Cindy

#165048 December 4th, 2006 at 04:04 PM
Hey Bill,
Thanx! a ton...feeling lot better

MatrixKol

#165049 February 13th, 2007 at 02:42 AM
Thanks for the info.

I feel right at home here... love the little graemlins wavey

Link Copied to Clipboard