This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#164059 April 21st, 2006 at 12:55 AM
OP Offline
flw Can you belive how spring like it is? I so want to plant. Which is what led me here. But first let me introduce myself. My name is Shannon and I married my High School sweet heart Brian over 16yrs ago. We have since had 8 children. Daniel is 15, Bethannie is 13, Emmalee will be 12 in May, Keren will be 10 in May, Charlie is 8, Johanthan is 6, Joshua is 4, and Andrew is 2. I have a 30' by 30' garden and various flower gardens around the house. Anyone else from Maine? I know I should probably wait till end of May before I plant but I so want to do it now. It's mind over mother nature. Mother nature is saying plant!plant!plant! and my brain says "spring frost is May 31/last full moon". So what do you think? Should I plant? I can always replant if frost kills the first round.
Shannon

#164060 April 21st, 2006 at 01:43 AM
wavey hi there.

welcome to the forum..

its nice to meet you.

you will love this place, everyone is friendly and helpful, have a question, just ask thumbup

#164061 April 21st, 2006 at 01:44 AM
Hi Shannon, I just joined this forum.(10 minutes ago!) I live in Downeast Maine. I am a transplant from away. I have lived in Maine since 1997 and I now call it home. I too want to plant now. I'm thinking about maybe this weekend, depending on the weather. Since we are both from Maine and both new to the site, maybe we can share tips. Talk to you later. T.C.

#164062 April 21st, 2006 at 02:02 AM
Hello everyone. I thought I would take amoment to introduce myself. I am TCbounds and I am an "OK" gardener. By that I mean, I generally have pretty good luck with low maintenence plants. I like the place to look nice and I don't kill everything I plant. I do like trying to use the natural landscape that Maine has to offer (we grow a lot of rocks up here). I found this site while searching for pet safe plants and flowers.I have 3 dogs, two Shiba Inus and one Jack russel tarrier. All three of them are diggers and at least one of them is a taster. They eat my plants and play toss with my moss that I am trying to nateralize with. so Ineed to know if the seeds I bought are giong to hurt them. So far I have morning glories, Black-eyed Susans, Royal Carpet Alyssum, forget-me-nots, and crokus. All but the crokus are still seeds in the pacage, the crokus was planted last and has already bloomed. If anyone wants to take a stab at what is safe for my dogs, or justwants to say hi,I'd love to hear from you. Thanks T.C.

#164063 April 21st, 2006 at 03:07 PM
Hi Shannon & TCbounds wavey
Welcome to the forum
Nice to meet you
[Linked Image]

#164064 April 21st, 2006 at 05:32 PM
Hello there , fellow Mainers! wavey

Go ahead and plant some pansies! thumbup

#164065 April 21st, 2006 at 06:54 PM
[Linked Image]
Hi TCBounds' and Shannon, wavey
Welcometo the forum you will love it here alot of help on here enjoy bettyboop1948 wavey flw flw

#164066 April 22nd, 2006 at 01:39 AM
OP Offline
Hi Penny,TC,Azlea,& betty; Thank you for your posts!I'm going to go pick up some Pansies!I love flowers! I plant flowers in my vegetable garden too! I plant Nasturtiums, Sunflowers,and Marigolds. I plant my tomatoes in pots because they tend to take over my garden. I am planting cucumbers (near the nasturtiums--someone told me that is a good way to get LOTS of cucumbers!--because the nasturtiums attract bees)Marigolds are suppose to help control pests and Tomatoes are suppose to like them..last year I put the tomatoes and marigolds in the same pots...this year i think I will give them each their own. I also plan to plant green peppers, lettuce, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, corn, zucchini, butternut squash, and my children's favorite...Pumpkins! I plan my garden on graph paper every year. Usually in January because it helps fight the winter blues. but this year I didn't do it until a few days ago. It didn't take long. I know what I like. I always rotate the garden...I never plant the same vegetable in the same place the next year. I'll try to post some attachments that show what my gardens are like.
Thanks again for your replies.

#164067 April 23rd, 2006 at 08:48 AM
Hi Shannon! wavey

Welcome to the forum! You're going to love muggs

Have a beautiful day! kit

#164068 April 25th, 2006 at 01:05 PM
Hello to everyone who wants to garden NOW! I live in western Massachusetts and sometimes I think it is Maine. This is the colder part of the state, in the Pioneer Valley. It was in the 40's today. It was so cold in our school today that I never took off my jacket. Thank God that I wore one. The blower on our 1894 furnace was out this morning. Old buildings are like gardens, lovely to look at but sometimes hard to manage. Last summer I started a serious perennial garden on the side of my house. it is about 8 x 16 feet. I live in the city. There are probably fifty or more plants in this one area. Some are early bulbs that have already bloomed, the lilies are now growing taller every day, and the rest of the perrenials are starting to become green again. If anyone is comming to Massachusetts or is willing to take a chance on the mail, I have pink lily of the valley. Twenty six years ago I had a dozen plants, and now there are probably 500 of them growing in front of the house. Well enjoy planting perennial bulbs because they are very hardy. Pansies are pretty too.

#164069 April 26th, 2006 at 05:30 AM
Hi all I am from Bangor Maine!

Mizzeliz - I would *love* some of your pink lily of the valley! I will PM you for more details!

I too love plants of all kinds, both indoor and outdoor types. I have at least a dozen different indoor houseplants. I also have 2 nice flower beds in front of my house, working on 2 more for some lilacs I have coming, and a HUGE vegetable garden out back.

Is there a plant/seed exchange on this forum? I love to trade plants and seeds. And when you trade with others in your area you know what you get will grow.

I have a few things I can trade now. I have some aloe vera babies, pothos vines and some wonderful merigold seeds.

I look forward to getting to know fellow green thumbs on here....

#164070 April 26th, 2006 at 08:23 AM
Hey there Mainers - I live in Virginia - but just returned on Saturday from a week in Maine - looking at houses wink my future husband and I would like to make it home next year. I was surprised to see you guys about 1 month behind northern VA in growth - it's hard not to want to get out and plant! My girlfriend in Portland is counting the days to move her herbs outside!

TC - try posting on another page about animal friendly plants - there are a lot of helpful people on this site!

#164071 April 26th, 2006 at 08:35 AM
I have lived in Maine most of my life, and wouldn't dream of calling anywhere else "home". The only drawback is the shorter growing season, however, we have many tricks to growing everything! Last year it was the middle of July before things dried out enough to plant. Of course it rained the WHOLE MONTH of May!

This year will be better! My little seedlings in the window are trying to escape already.

#164072 April 26th, 2006 at 08:50 AM
Welcome to all the new people. I too just joined this site..yesterday actually..it's wonderful to be able to talk to people with the same interests..ok..to the one with 8 kids..HOLY CRAP..i thought i had alot..wow...i already started planting..well just in pots..and last night we had a frost..and thank god i got them in..i'm from indiana..and i always plants my annuals on mothers day weekend..seems like an added bonus for me..hope to see you all in the forums..

#164073 April 26th, 2006 at 11:20 AM
Heyas Hjolicoeur... hmmm.. did I get that spellin right?... wow... hey, welcome wavey to the forums.... rather new myself but I think I'm falling right in with the rest of the junkies smile Glad to have you on board and look forward to hearing your inputs and Ideas! smile

Gotta Love Growin' things.... It's What The World Is All About!

#164074 April 26th, 2006 at 11:25 AM
Heyas Langford in Indiana!... Welcome.. wavey I am fairly new here too! You got about the same zone as me eh?.... Did ya know you could grow Southern Magnolia in zone..5?

See Ya in the Garden! thumbup

#164075 April 27th, 2006 at 12:56 AM
Hi eclo

Yes you did get it right! LOL it is what I get for marrying a frenchman! LOL

I have been a gardening junkie for years, actually if you asked my dad he would probably tell you I was born in the garden! or at least with a tomato in one hand and a cucumber in the other!

heh! I'm gonna have so much fun here... at least it will be something to do while I am unemployed!

Link Copied to Clipboard