This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#163967 January 1st, 2006 at 03:27 AM
M
OP Offline
M
That presses her nose against all the windows facing my flower gardens, and stand there looking out at them longing to strat spreading mulch?
I am getting impatient. No pun intended. LOL

#163968 January 1st, 2006 at 03:57 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Nooooooooooooo, you're not the only one...
I know for a fact there's a bunch of them
chompin' at the bit to get out there ASAP...
We're all drueling over the flower catalogs'
that are starting to pour in...

How you beeeeeeeeeee, Murphyette?

#163969 January 4th, 2006 at 08:55 AM
Why do you wait... go and plant if you must do so.

#163970 January 4th, 2006 at 02:19 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Yes, you are.

#163971 January 4th, 2006 at 05:39 PM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Warm as it has been here I have been outside working in my yard. Will admit trying to cut down on chance of fire around my house. But I am outside. 85 yesterday supposed to be close to that today.
Jimmy

#163972 January 5th, 2006 at 02:45 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Originally posted by Thornius:
Yes, you are.
Funny.

#163973 January 5th, 2006 at 02:50 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Originally posted by murphyette:
That presses her nose against all the windows facing my flower gardens, and stand there looking out at them longing to strat spreading mulch?
I am getting impatient. No pun intended. LOL
My desk overlooks several of my gardens...
I couldn't stand it anymore so I AM playing in the garden today! It's sunny but the temp is 36 so I have to come in now and then to thaw my popsicles back into fingers... but its worth it!!! grinnnn

#163974 January 5th, 2006 at 03:58 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Awww, you're not the only one....I do it too...I can't WAIT!!! I have some plans for the garden this year too...I want mark to dig me a new bed! Haven't told him that yet though.... laugh

#163975 January 5th, 2006 at 03:59 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Originally posted by Bill:
My desk overlooks several of my gardens...
I couldn't stand it anymore so I AM playing in the garden today! It's sunny but the temp is 36 so I have to come in now and then to thaw my popsicles back into fingers... but its worth it!!! grinnnn
I did venture outside today to walk around and take a peek at everything while the snow is melted. Just about everything is looking good. clp
My hydrangea looks completely dead. I hope they come back.

What on earth are you planting at 36 degrees??

#163976 January 5th, 2006 at 04:07 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Pruning ferns and burning blackberries....

#163977 January 5th, 2006 at 04:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I went walking around the garden a few days ago too...I didn't clean the beds up too good in the fall so I have a lot of work ahead of me this spring....

Hope you got yourself warmed back up again Bill!

#163978 January 5th, 2006 at 05:24 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I was out in mine, the "Middle 40"...
and I've got some varmit tunnels in the lawn.
Fell into some of them..
I am going to have to get after them varmits... Grrrr!!

My Swiss Chard is still hanging in there..
It's limp.. but still alive..

#163979 January 5th, 2006 at 09:46 AM
wink Man yes!! I walk around looking at my beds planning-sigh. Starting to get magazines-a very costly weakness of mine! So many new plants-so little money ya know. It rained almost all December here-Jan and Feb is when we have our cold. It is hard waiting isn't it?

#163980 January 5th, 2006 at 10:14 AM
Gee, I must be the lucky one! I have a garage converted into a greenhouse where I move all my tropicals in for the winter. Right now I am enjoying my Ponderosa Lemon's fragrant blooms. Oh, and remember those key limes I showed y'all in the fall? Well, I have harvested about half the crop so far thru the winter and am still enjoying the limes. And the seeds from the first lime... I planted them and here are the twins! Behind them is a container of paperwhite narcissus I planted on Christmas day, getting ready to bloom soon.
[Linked Image]

And here are the lemon blooms nesting among the still blooming impatients.
[Linked Image]

#163981 January 5th, 2006 at 08:42 PM
Oh! You guys are reading my mind - yeah . . . I've been thinking about it, I have to admit.

I do have other things to occupy my mind, but I'd like to at least start some non-planting work. Maybe create some raised beds that I have in mind.

I've been reading Barbara Kingsolver's 'Small Wonder'. She grows vegetables even when she's staying in an apartment - she grows from her balcony.

Well, this land here is acidic with a lot of pines dripping their needs and what have you all over the place, but . . . but . . . but . . .

Container gardening!

YES! YES!

That author has convinced me that we not only SHOULD be growing food, we ought to make it a LAW!

#163982 January 5th, 2006 at 09:03 PM
And yeah . . . I'm hearing a lot about North Carolina these days - I hear there's some mighty fine weather goin' on down there . . . well. Maybe you can send some up here to Toronto.

We're not doing that bad though . . . UNseasonal temps, so says the weather people. A bit wet and windy at times.

#163983 January 6th, 2006 at 03:59 AM
The weather has been a little warmer than usual for winter here in NC. We have had only one single night of temps below 32 degrees so far! Living on an island has it's advantages in that the water all around keeps us warmer longer into the season. I'd be happy to send some warmer weather your way, Carly, if I could figure out a way to do it.
I'm definitely NOT a winter person. Love those tropical warm temps, and am still in need of a nice warm vacation somewhere down south. grinnnn

#163984 January 6th, 2006 at 10:07 AM
Yes I have also thought about gardening...When I go out to feed the chickens I sometimes stroll around the yard looking at each flower bed...like there might actually be something going on in it, like flowers sprouting...way too early for that, but I suppose it is wishful thinking.

#163985 January 9th, 2006 at 06:16 AM
This might sound really weird, but when I started my Venus Fly Trap terrarium I must have spent 2 hours just staring at the tank. Not because I was waiting for one to eat something, but because I was just admiring my work. I seem to do that often with my plants!

#163986 January 9th, 2006 at 10:12 PM
Yeah - that's such fun, eh? I did that with my bottle garden - it's just muck now. I didn't pay much attention to it after a while - in fact, I'm kinda' wondering what is in there - it looks awful.

I might throw some seeds in and see what happens - it looks like creation forming all over again.

#163987 January 9th, 2006 at 10:22 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Yeppers I was out there today nipping some weeds in the bud. I tried to dig up some of the top tier but still not enough rain to soften the clay to the point I can level that area. It'll happen I just have to be patient. My one remaining tulip from last years planting has started to come up. I don't know what I'm going to do about that. I put some mulch on top of it hopefully that will keep it down for a while. The allium are definitely comming up. Hope they survive the late winter snow that I'm sure is in the forecast sometime in the future.

#163988 January 13th, 2006 at 12:41 PM
O
O
Since my ice and snow thawed, I've been out pruning apples and raspberries and raking leaves and such. I also dug some carrots and harvested a little lettuce, and then recovered all my row tunnels with plastic. I used some of the apple prunings in the new smoker grill I got for Christmas. The chicken was awesome!!!! thumbup

#163989 January 13th, 2006 at 10:22 PM
M
M
I'm envious of Comfrey and her chickens . We had a small flock for several years , but have none now .
I saw daffodils sprouting out by the old chicken yard this week .
Our weather has been like a yo-yo this winter , with more ups than downs . We may go down as the second warmest January on record , and the driest fall ! ( It is rather rainy today , thank God . )
We have had only one measurable snow , and it was only about 1" .

#163990 January 14th, 2006 at 03:00 PM
Marian..These chickens are alot of work in the winter months, since all the hoses are rolled up and put away I have to hand carry water done to the chicken yard. I hadn't planned on having chickens, but a friend showed up with 15 hens and 2 roosters in a cage back in the summer, she had been given these chickens for free...and If I would keep them at my house, I would be half owner in them.... Well I kind of got the short end of the stick on this deal, My friend does buy half of the feed, But I do all of the work...So I am not sure it is worth all of the effort. I have had chickens before, so I do know how to take care of them and I do like the fresh eggs, But it is alot of work!!!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard