This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#161962 January 1st, 2007 at 07:21 AM
S
S
Well, what color thread you use will depend on what effect you'd like to achieve.

I usually have mine threaded with either all black or all white, since that is what will work with most colors of fabric for clothing, unless it will be seen on purpose somewhere (like rolled hem edge)or under a sheer fabric.

You could experiment and use 4 different colors to get a rainbow effect. Just remember that your 2 needle colors will never really do anything except make 2 rows of straight stitching, unlike the loopers, which will show most.

I guess it would depend on what you're making with it. For placemats and such, I use a pretty thread in the loopers and a contrasting thread for the needles.

Oh, you might want to keep an eye out for sales on the cone thread because although it goes a long way, it can get really expensive. Especially if you adjust the stitches close together.

I wish I had a cam so I could explain better. Ugh!

If you have any other questions...just shoot 'em at me! lol.

#161963 January 1st, 2007 at 07:35 AM
wavey sewobsessed

I was a serger operator in 5 different factorys , and can tell many stories.....First one, is keeping it threaded properly..
Very nerve wracking..
However I use whatever types of threas I have here.
An colors.
You dont have the rainbow in everything.. I make a black top I use all black. Red top use red.
You can mix several shades of colors in one.. But the mixture of colors arent to good for a more serious person..

Oh well.....Have fun, if you can..
What do you make ..?
dodge

#161964 January 2nd, 2007 at 01:31 AM
OP Offline
Wow Barb That is a LOT of sewing!! I don't sew many cloths.. But do lots of projects.. My Mother in Law gave it to me on account she could not figure it out... And if I could sew her slip cover for her couch!! I wanna make sure I get it just right or I will feel bad..

I have a few test materials I have used.. Looks like it is getting a bit better..I do however need to get more cones of thread..

Yes there are 2 needles I am just starting out though.. Have to figure out how I can just sew with it instead of having it chopping off the edges as well as figure out how to get the tention just right...

I may have to break it out today and just practice with it! I am sure that is the only way to get anywhere and get it figured out!

#161965 January 2nd, 2007 at 01:42 AM
springfever

Stop chopping off.. All you have to do, is move the material to the left .....Dont let it go under the cutter.......
Hold your material anywhere you want it .

Setting tension.....You have 4 knobs to set the tension...Just the smallest movement is all you should do .....

Another thing........The tension will not be correct, if your machine isnt threaded properly.
right hand needle
left hand needle
upper looper and
lower loope .........must all be treaded exactly as they colors show.. each one has a different color on the machine and you follow the color.

Hope I can help
Tension knob....increase, and decrease.. turn right or left.

dodge

#161966 January 2nd, 2007 at 02:17 AM
OP Offline
I didn't have any trouble threading it corectly I think it is just a matter of getting used to this new contraption now ... Figuring out all the extras it has!

#161967 January 2nd, 2007 at 02:25 AM
springfever,

ok
need help .holler..

dodge

#161968 January 2nd, 2007 at 03:55 AM
S
S
SpringFever,
the cutter on my machine will flip out of the way so it won't cut and just sew if you give the very top of the cutter a pull to the right and then twist the cutter backwards.

See if yours will do that too.

smile

#161969 January 2nd, 2007 at 04:28 AM
angell

Yes it does.........I dont usually do that. My machine is a different brand .Juki.

I think yours is Brother?
They are all basically the same way..

dodge

#161970 January 2nd, 2007 at 09:32 PM
OP Offline
Cool I will check it out thanks Barb and Sewobsessed... shocked what is your name??
I am Rita..

#161971 January 2nd, 2007 at 10:17 PM
sewobsessed

What do you make on yours
Tell me more we can share topics.......Projects.

I do many things.

Barb

#161972 January 3rd, 2007 at 09:07 AM
OP Offline
OK I have Pics of how I am doing any advice will be GRAND!!!

[Linked Image]

Top stitched part...

[Linked Image]

Back stitched... I thought I did pretty good just cant figure out which tention is not quite right...

#161973 January 3rd, 2007 at 09:26 AM
springfever,

2nd one is better.

I"d say the Looper is the problem.
The needles are the the 2 lines away from the end .

===
The thread which binds the raw end are the loopers.......
Try the lower looper..Just a tiny bit.

dodge

#161974 January 3rd, 2007 at 09:29 AM
The left Needle and the LOwer looper form a chain
and
the right needle and the upper looper form the 2 thread overedge stitch......

dodge

#161975 January 3rd, 2007 at 10:40 AM
OP Offline
On this one i just used a left needle and 3 spools and tried my best to ajust the tention to try to get the right things going on ... I will try again on thurs... Kinda still working on the tention it is a tough on for me but I am getting it!! Sort of ... shocked

#161976 January 3rd, 2007 at 10:58 AM
you have 3 spool Brother.........

Most of the time the Tension is set fairly close on each .........Say if one is on 5, the rest are usually 5 or close to it......

Try loosing upper tension, and tighten lower.

See if it helps?

dodge

#161977 January 3rd, 2007 at 07:49 PM
OP Offline
I can use either 3 or 4 spools and 1 or 2 needles... The stitch I am going to need is with the 3 spool so I have been working on that... I will try it some more maybe later this evening!

#161978 January 4th, 2007 at 06:08 AM
S
S
Rita,
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, been doing the winter sowing thing.

Ok, you have some issues going on, lol, but no biggie.

When I worked in a T-shirt factory, we used to get stitches like that once in a blue moon when someone loosened our tension knobs. Not funny. lol.

Anyway, your top looper tension doesn't look as bad (still off, but not as bad as the other), but the bottom loopers is much, much too loose. You see how the loop is being pulled all the way around to the top of the fabric?

Since the top doesn't seem too tight, try tightening the bottom looper a little at a time until both top and bottom threads loop at the exact side of the fabric. You see how both loopers are still so loose that the back (bottom) loop is being pulled right up to the top of the fabric? If you tighten the bottom, it might fanagle the top into position a bit more, but I'd tighten both of them a few notches right off the bat and see how it looks.

You won't know until you give it another adjustment and try, if the needle tension is too tight and pulling the bottom looper thread to much, or not. You really can't go by the #'s on the tensions, mine are set at 5,4,3,6...while my Aunt's machine is set at 2,2,5,8. All machines are different in that regard, you just have to 'feel' it out.

I did a quick 3 thread to show you...butI tightened the bottom looper a bit so you could see where the threads are. I scanned the pics, but there's no way to upload them here, apparently. If you'd like me to send them in an email, just give me a shout!

Tina

#161979 January 4th, 2007 at 08:28 AM
OP Offline
Hi Tina I will send you a pm... You can also use

www.photobucket.com it is free and pretty easy to use... if you have any questions just give me a shout..
Thanks
Rita

#161980 January 5th, 2007 at 10:13 PM
OP Offline
Hi Tina Thanks I got the E-mail and it worked out great!! Thankyou!! Now I have something to look at so I know when I am getting it right..

Barb thanks for all your help as well... I think I am going to have to put stickers on for upper and lower and such so I get a better idea of what I need to tighten or loosen.. It is a pain in the butt to look at my book all the time laugh laugh

#161981 January 5th, 2007 at 11:25 PM
Springfever,

Here is a copy of the 4 spool serger stitch.
What it looks like when it is correct.. My Serger shop gave me it..

dodge shocked shocked shocked [Linked Image]

#161982 January 7th, 2007 at 08:52 AM
OP Offline
Nice work Barb... Can you turn corners with them?? I kinda tried but it didn't seem to work so well... Duh

Do either of you know if it sews thin leather?

#161983 January 7th, 2007 at 10:23 AM
spring fever ,

Dont sew leather.....I ruined my first serger with leather......It buggered up the looper.. Mechanic said it cant be fixed......It was cheap and got knocked out of aleignment..However it is spelled.

Now for corners......If it is straight you run off the corner leaving the strings attached turn the material and go back on......

FOr round curves ......Just twerl your material with the left hand as you sew....It goes right around easily........Just takes a while to learn to twerl. I like doing it.

dodge

#161984 January 7th, 2007 at 10:40 AM
OP Offline
Is it kinda like a sewing machine in that aspect Barb? Like don't force it or stop and turn?? I know I can shut off the feeders that make it go straight.. idea

#161985 January 7th, 2007 at 10:49 AM
springfever.....

What I meant about going straight,
run the material past the foot...........
At the corner just turn the material an head back.
You will have a loop of thread there.. Don't cut it off........It will unwind the end.. See the serger doesnt tie the end at all ......You must let a little string hang.

If you want to sew leather .......You need an industrial machine for that type only.. Industrial comes in different varietys also.
One for fur .One for leather....

Quite an expensive hobby.

dodge

#161986 January 7th, 2007 at 11:37 AM
OP Offline
I have those machines at work but if it was an ultra thin leather I thought it would be OK it is lighter than denim sooo I was not thinking it would damage the machine at all?? Duh

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard