This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#160368 December 7th, 2005 at 12:56 AM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
Mike this is my Caribbean chili plant putting on fruit waiting to get enough to send you have several chili's in the making. You get the first of this fire on the vine.
flowers/Wintering%20Flowers/CaribbheanChili.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/> the fruit is small and kinda yellowish green to the right hope you can see it.
Jimmy

#160369 December 7th, 2005 at 01:13 AM
JV...I've got some habaneros that I picked about 3 weeks ago and some are going bad. I have about 2 or 3 dozen that shuld be good for pickling, and I've pickled some in years past. Do you have a favorite recipe for pickling, or do you do that?

#160370 December 7th, 2005 at 01:52 AM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
peppereater sorry I don't pickle allergic to the pickling weed or dill weed what ever it is makes me very ill. I eat all mine fresh or I roast them in the showtime rotessorie . got to many send some my way mine did not do good at all this year and as you see my caribbeans are just now putting on fruit. will be glad to send you some after I get enough for Mike 57 I poromised him the first way back in the summer.
Jimmy

#160371 December 7th, 2005 at 12:07 PM
This is how I have pickled Hot peppers and they turned out just fine:

For 1 pint:
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
1 pint of peppers

Wash peppers, if you are using large peppers they should be cut up into pieces or rings etc to your preference. For smaller peppers leave them whole if you like and make a couple of small slits in the sides of the pepper, I do this with the tip of my knife...2 slits total works good. Mix vinegar and water and heat to about simmering point. Pack peppers rather tightly into your jar. Add the salt to your jar and then pour the vinegar/water over peppers to 1/2 inch of the jar rim. Seal & process for 15 minutes in simmering water bath. The longer you let them sit on the shelf the better they taste, jalepeno's seem to develop a sweet hot taste if you allow them to rest on the shelf for a few weeks.

#160372 December 8th, 2005 at 09:59 PM
wavey HI Jimmy glad that pepper plant started putting on fruit for you.it took quite awhile didn't it and it looks quite healthy.thanks for remembering that i wanted some seeds from it wavey flw flw

#160373 December 9th, 2005 at 09:34 AM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
Yes Mike I had given up on it. When I brought them in I noticed the fruit can't wait to send them to you. will pm you for addy. when ready to sip. I will send you the peppers whole so you can do your process.
Jimmy

#160374 January 1st, 2006 at 06:45 AM
Originally posted by comfrey:
This is how I have pickled Hot peppers and they turned out just fine:

For 1 pint:
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
1 pint of peppers

Wash peppers, if you are using large peppers they should be cut up into pieces or rings etc to your preference. For smaller peppers leave them whole if you like and make a couple of small slits in the sides of the pepper, I do this with the tip of my knife...2 slits total works good. Mix vinegar and water and heat to about simmering point. Pack peppers rather tightly into your jar. Add the salt to your jar and then pour the vinegar/water over peppers to 1/2 inch of the jar rim. Seal & process for 15 minutes in simmering water bath. The longer you let them sit on the shelf the better they taste, jalepeno's seem to develop a sweet hot taste if you allow them to rest on the shelf for a few weeks.
This is the recipe I use:

5 c. vinegar,
1 c. water,
4 t. salt,
2 T. sugar,
3 cloves garlic.

Wash hot peppers. Wearing rubber gloves, slash whole peppers and quarter large ones. Blanch and peel.
Fill jars and cover with boiling liquid (boiled 10 min.)
(You may wish to double the liquid recipe depending on the amount of peppers you are pickling.)Leave 1/2-inch headspace and process pints and quarts for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.

I normally leave the sugar out, and just slice my peppers, and if you have any brine left over, just put it in the refrigerator and save it for the next time.

Link Copied to Clipboard