This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#15976 February 3rd, 2004 at 12:33 AM
A
apples Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I've started seeing these flies in my house latly. At first I thought they were fruit flies but they started getting bigger. At first glance the steroid factor made them look kind of like fleas but they have more standard house fly shape. I would best discribe them as a fruit fly with longer wings in comparison to body of fruit fly and over all slightly bigger with more of a house fly shape. confused havent seen anything wrong with the plants but that's where they hang out(specificly orange tree and sweet pepper seedlings. Thank in advance.

#15977 February 3rd, 2004 at 12:45 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Fungus Gnats, there are a few posts in the houseplant threads here, type it into search wavey And water less! grinnnn

#15978 February 3rd, 2004 at 04:22 AM
A
apples Offline OP
OP Offline
A
While the pepper seeds were geminating I had them in a transparent plastic box and come to think of it they were pretty wet for basicly 3-4 weeks and a few of them that I threw out had a bit of botrytis. The info I found was helpful enough, I have some sand so I'm going to put a layer on the soil. A few questions still. Do they lay eggs? (If so are they harmfull to the plants? Are they killed by soaping) or is it just a shure sine that I have mold?
Thanks again!

#15979 February 7th, 2004 at 04:20 AM
did i answer this question in the other list?

#15980 February 7th, 2004 at 04:26 AM
A
apples Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hello Buglady.
On the other list you said without further info you could not be specific so I don't know. Duh

#15981 February 7th, 2004 at 06:39 AM
Forum Hostess
Forum Hostess
Here is what I wrote in a previous post...

Fungus gnats are small, grey flies about 1/4 of an inch long. They are found in moist, peat based potting soils that are rich in organic matter. Damage is done by the larvae and can be fatal to young plants. Adults may transmit crown or root rot.

The adult female will deposit between 100 - 150 eggs on the soil surface near the plant's stem. The eggs hatch in 4 - 6 days into white larvae with black heads. They feed on decaying organic matter and plant tissue. They pupate into adults 3 - 4 days later.

To control, reduce the amount of watering. Allow the top layer of potting soil to dry out. most larvae are seen in the top inch of soil. If you cover the soil with a layer of sand, the adult may not lay her eggs in it.

Yellow sticky tapes can be used to trap the flying adults.

You can drench the soil with Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) or apply preditory nematodes. Chemical controls can not be used with Bt or nematodes, but include pyrethrin or diazion. Chemicals have to be applied every few days to attack all stages of the insects development.

Good luck!

#15982 February 7th, 2004 at 07:59 AM
A
apples Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Are they very noticably grey cause as far as I've seen they seem black. I don't like the idea of chemicals so I'm glad thier's alturnitives. Also they don't seem quite that big but mabey with thier wings and I haven't seen that many for shure. Thanks

#15983 February 7th, 2004 at 03:04 PM
Forum Hostess
Forum Hostess
I'm with you on that one.....don't like to use chemicals....especially when the other methods work just as well. They are sorta grey/black in color.....and it's a good thing if you haven't noticed too many of them....yet.

#15984 February 8th, 2004 at 12:26 AM
A
apples Offline OP
OP Offline
A
And definitly not when it's in your bedroom!
Thier's been one flying around all week, Thier was two but one landed on my keyboard while I was typing and to quote "jgyffjjuyt" that's was what happend. I'm still getting used to manualy killing bugs though at least I have a reason now as aposed to when I was five or so.

#15985 February 8th, 2004 at 05:24 PM
Forum Hostess
Forum Hostess
thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard