This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#159637 January 25th, 2006 at 10:54 PM
Sinai Offline OP
OP Offline
Howdy.....I've been growing flowers in containers in what I like to call a bird garden for a few years now. I've always lived in an apartment till recently and since I had a ground floor apartment I was able to have a garden in the back. I had about 50 - 16 inch plastic containers and five 8'x4' wooden raised beds. Grew various cone flowers, coreopsis, bee balm, cardinal flowers, agastache, salvias, rudbeckias, shasta dasies, Joe Pye weed, sedums and veronicas. Mixed in there were about 30 or so bird feeders of various kinds. We always enjoy watching birds, squirrels, chipmunks and butterflies going about their business amongst the flowers and feeders, its very relaxing I think. Not many things in life more enjoyable I think than reading a good book sitting with a cup of coffee out by your flower beds early in the morning and hearing all the birds.

My wife and I recently moved into our first house and I moved about 250 perennials last fall to our new home. I have about 2,800 sq. ft. of beds planted now. I killed the Bermuda grass that was there, brought in about 17 yards of planting bed mix from a local landscape supply, had it all tilled in and then set out my plants. So far so good, but the first thing I learned was that weeding containers and keeping weeds outta flower beds is definately two different things. Been fighting chickweed, henbit, etc. so far...Trying to learn about annual weeds and how I can manage to keep them at bay.... wink Looking forward to learning many new things from you folks and maybe being able to help someone else also.

#159638 January 25th, 2006 at 11:04 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Hi, Sinai! wavey

Welcome to the forum!
Nice to meet you!

Cindy

#159639 January 25th, 2006 at 11:37 PM
wavey Hi there!!!! muggs Penny

#159640 January 26th, 2006 at 12:28 AM
O
O
Welcome Sinai wavey We have lot's of weeders here laugh

#159641 January 26th, 2006 at 02:45 AM
Hi Sinai wavey
Welcome to the forum
Nice to meet you.
[Linked Image]

#159642 January 26th, 2006 at 03:43 AM
Hi there Sinai and welcome to the Forum. Sounds like you have a lot going on at your place. Must be pretty in full bloom so please don't be shy in sharing pics!

#159643 February 27th, 2006 at 09:31 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hi, Sinai,
*you must tell us how to pronounce that,
it looks pretty*

Been fighting chickweed, henbit, etc. so far... Trying to learn about annual weeds and how I can manage to keep them at bay....
COMPOST... put compost on them..
That makes the dirt so nice and fluffy,
that when you go to pull it out, it just comes right out...

Chickweed does have a big, swirling massive root system for a little plant..
and the henbit is like a runner root..

But if you make that soil so fluffy, it just can't keep a grip on the dirt..

Will you keep us posted..

And where are my mannors, Welcome to The Garden Helpers' Forum, we're very glad you found us..
And you've got some pretty pictures in your home page..

#159644 February 27th, 2006 at 10:10 PM
Hi Sinai, wavey

Welcome! You've got some beautiful flowers and a nice bed for them. Wow, it looks like you've done a lot of work in a very short time and it shows. It looks great! thumbup Just do what Weezie said because once you get the soil loose it's so easy to keep the weeds in check. wink

Have a GREAT day! kit

#159645 March 4th, 2006 at 09:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[Linked Image]

It's a pleasure to meet you!

Your pictures are amazing thumbup I can't get over the wonderful gardens you had at your apartment,they were breathtaking thumbup ) is going to be beautiful. I bet there were ALOT of sore muscles the day ya'll put it in. WOW...200 plants in 2800 square feet flw

G-Mom

#159646 March 5th, 2006 at 01:04 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Howdy, Sinai! I love to meet a gardener who likes birds! I don't have much room for gardening at my house but really enjoy it. I am however a fanatical bird watcher and now primarily a bird photographer, with about as many feeders as you have. I am a member of several worldwide wild bird forums as well as having a little cubicle here in the "Birds and Butterfly Gardens" section. When It gets to hot in Summer for the birds to be stirring, we birders switch over to insect and plant study. I am retired and spend most of my time after birds or on the internet.

Link Copied to Clipboard