This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#158541 January 7th, 2006 at 09:13 AM
W
OP Offline
W
I have a gift certificate and the order catalog. If a plant comes as a bare root, will it bloom this summer? Does it take any particular extra care to get it started? Saw several roses that I would love but seems they are shipped bare root. What can I expect from bare root? Help!

#158542 January 7th, 2006 at 09:56 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
I have always had good results with bare root roses. I soak the roots in water with a root stimulator always does well. Order them so they will come to you for planting time in your zone so they don't freese from freezing weather.
Jimmy

#158543 January 7th, 2006 at 11:55 AM
I've also had good luck with growing bare root. just be sure to do like jv said and soak the roots. I'd soak them in warm water. also spread the roots out a little so they aren't squished together and make sure you dig a big enough hole. good luck!

#158544 January 7th, 2006 at 12:55 PM
Also besides spreading the roots out..make a mound in the planting hole and position the roots over the mound, this will insure that the roots spread and grow right.

#158545 January 11th, 2006 at 06:47 AM
Bare root plants are the best way to go. plants grown in pots get used to the pots, they get used to the soil that's in the pots, and they get used to being watered every day. And, when they are sent off to a HOme Depot or Wal Mart, they sit around and get stressed before you get them.
Don't amend the soil too much...the old advice about u sing half and half old soil and amendments can lead to problems after 2 or 3 years of growth...but do dig the hole at least twice as big as you need, firm the soil in the bottom of the hole and yes, as Comfrey says, wiht roses, build a mound in the bottom,and spread the roots over this. Plenty of bone meal in the bottom, a little compost or rotted manure.
plant as soon as you can.
If this sounds like a lot of care, don't worry, bare-root plants do VERY well as long as they don't leaf out before you can get them planted, and you remember to water them in well and then weekly after they leaf out.

#158546 January 11th, 2006 at 11:01 AM
wavey excellent advice.

I just wanted to add.If your plants come and for some reason you can't get them planted.
Keep them in the original package and check every day that the roots are kept moist.

Welcome wannabe. wink

Link Copied to Clipboard