This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#158173 January 9th, 2006 at 08:53 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
I bought some veggie seeds!

Kingsolver's book 'Small Wonder' has inspired me to be a conscientious gardener. She has convinced me that we should not only support local growers, we should try to grow something in the way of food ourselves, even if it's nothing more than a few herbs on the windowsill.

I'll keep you posted on my progress with this one.

It's not the first time I've grown veggies, of course, but I don't usually do it on this land here.

That free e-book that 'Mike' put out - the one I gave the link to - I like what he said. Don't complicate things for yourself by digging out clay soil and filling it up again - just raise your beds, and pour in the new garden soil and go!

I'll be out strolling the neighbourhood, seeing what things are thrown out that I can use (why buy stuff when it comes as a gift?) to create. I'll be swinging my walking cane - I'm getting very good with that; makes me look kinda' intellectual, y'know?

And I'll be listening to audio books, as I'm strolling and picking up my 'manifestations' and hustling them home to my garden.

Some of the birds are mating, I see . . . Environment Canada had better not be puttin' me on - 'cause according to them, we're going to have quite a week.

I'm ready to rock! Boy! I feel good!

#158174 January 11th, 2006 at 02:15 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
I went there, too, but got arrested.

#158175 January 15th, 2006 at 09:00 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, everything in me is screamin' to start up the seeds in little trays and put them in the office window - but I hate to think it's too soon.

What the heck? I know I'm going to do it - I picked up some organic soil on Thursday - so I know full well I'm going to do it even if somebody says DON'T DO IT!

So I might as well get started.

Oh! I wish the winter would move on out - I want to start gardening!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

#158176 January 15th, 2006 at 09:51 PM
O
O
What kind of seeds do you have Carly? I have some onion and tomato seedlings already up. The tomatoes will be planted in the garden the last of March (with much protection). The onions will be able to go out earlier. I've been thinking about trying a few herb seeds also. Just in pots for now.

#158177 January 16th, 2006 at 04:13 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, you're Virginia . . . I'm Toronto, so I'll be a little longer getting started.

I did broccoli, parsnips, peas, green pepper, cucumber, zuccini.

They are now in three pots on the windowsill - big ones . . . I'll see what they do.

Tomatoes, I think it's best to just buy the plants - but I might try a packet of seeds and see what happens.

The green peppers, btw, they're ones I saved from my cut up peppers - I dried them. I try that all the time - never got anywhere with it, but I try anyway.

#158178 January 16th, 2006 at 04:14 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
I think I'll get some more - maybe try some carrots - I did carrots once and they were ok. Not a lot of them, but I did get a row of them.

We are near a park (High Park) so we have a lot of wild animals - raccoons, rabbits, squirrels . . . I guess they'll be into the stuff when I put it out.

#158179 January 16th, 2006 at 10:32 AM
Holy crap! I just saw this post - by "Kingsolver", do you mean Barbara? She's a patient at my pharmacy!

#158180 January 23rd, 2006 at 04:00 PM
O
O
I replanted all my tomato seeds. My timer for my lights wasn't working right after I left for my New England trip, so my mom took the seedlings to her house with another grow light I wasn't using. Unfortunately it was a "hot" grow light, and it basically fried the tomatoes. One of the onion varieties isn't looking so hot either, but I think I can save them by transplanting them. Only one of the tomato seedlings is still surviving. She killed them with kindness!

#158181 January 23rd, 2006 at 10:17 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Oh I'm so sorry to hear about the loss. I lost my tomatoes that I was over wintering from loving kindness too. I overwatered the little darlings. Oh well we still have plenty of time to get them growing right?

#158182 January 23rd, 2006 at 11:22 PM
O
O
Yes Tammy, I won't be planting my main crop tomatoes until late February or early March.

Link Copied to Clipboard