This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#157865 January 24th, 2006 at 07:29 PM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
I went to a plant store yesterday. NOT a Nursery ...this is the equivalent of a plant warehouse! While this may not be new to many of you, I've never seen a store like this before! (Of course, I never really paid attention to things like houseplants & flowers until just last year, so go figure!) This place is SO AWESOME, I went absolutely BONKERS when I walked in the door!

There were plants EVERYWHERE!
[Linked Image]

Big ones & little ones....
[Linked Image]

Some with flowers & some that didn't need a flower to be gorgeous!
[Linked Image]

(continued below)

#157866 January 24th, 2006 at 07:39 PM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Aisles & aisles of plants, from floor to ceiling!
[Linked Image]

Pretty little Air ferns that run about $3.00 each.
[Linked Image]

The plant that I REALLY went bananas over, was the Staghorn Fern! This puppy is priced at $96.00! There were smaller ones, but few under $40. (mounted) & NONE as impressive as this one!
[Linked Image]

Pretty cool, huh? thumbup

#157867 January 24th, 2006 at 09:59 PM
Patty - that store makes me feel like I can BREATHE again! laugh I just love love love all the GREEN!!! Please tell me you bought more than the 3 that you shared in the CH last night? Duh How about LaRelle - how much damage did SHE do to her wallet?

A friend brought me back a small staghorn fern from Florida a few years ago - it was in a 4 inch pot and cost around $7. It did pretty well under one of our large Maple trees that summer, but did not like being in our "oh so dry" house the following winter. kissies

#157868 January 25th, 2006 at 12:20 AM
Great place to be, Patty - wish I could be there with you.

Is that you in the picture?

And I'm stealing that knitting smiley for my e pal in North Carolina.

#157869 January 25th, 2006 at 01:57 AM
Beautiful pics there Patty. I cannot wait to hit that store come spring!!!!

#157870 January 25th, 2006 at 02:25 AM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Although I was tempted, I only bought these three plants. plants/PurpleShamrock.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>
(Lipstick vine - $3.75, Polkadot plant - $1.75 & Oxalis Shamrock - $11.95)

After I get the plants back outside that I've brought in to winter over, I might go back there & buy some more! Right now I don't have space for the plants I bought, cuz I hestitate to put plants on the window sills I sanded & refinished last summer. I've comandeered the spare room for my plants this winter, so Hubby has taken over the Dining room with his weight equipment... All will be back to normal, come spring!

Carly, that's my daughter (LaRelle) you see in the picture. (I try to stay on the right side of cameras!) She's got a green thumb like you wouldn't believe... that girl could plant DIRT & it would sprout more dirt, I swear! Don't know where she got that trait from, but I have her breathe on my plants every chance I get!

Triss, I have the driving directions right to the store... any time you're ready! Maybe I'll meet you there with my camera, so I can get pics of you going BONKERS! (I KNOW you will!) thumbup

#157871 January 25th, 2006 at 02:29 AM
Oh yes I will. I am already planning on bringing a Rubbermaid container to hold all the plants safely in the back of the van. The kids clothes and stuff are gonna get shoved under the seats.

#157872 January 25th, 2006 at 04:35 PM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Well my goodness, girl! Don't get TOO carried away! I can appreciate the Rubbermaid container for the plants, & shoving "clothes and stuff" under the seats... but REALLY, TRISS! thumbup

#157873 January 26th, 2006 at 01:38 AM
R
R
That place is wonderful!! Very,very cool!!

#157874 January 26th, 2006 at 01:43 AM
Great store, I have never seen one like that. The best I can hope for is going to a place called Wickman gardens when I visit my mom in February. When I lived there I use to haunt that place regular or least once a week, esp in the winter. It is a store/florist/greenhouse they have plants indoors year around and of course outdoor plants in spring/summer. Great pictures!!!

#157875 January 28th, 2006 at 05:51 AM
R
R
I want a place like this and wonder if i could do it in one of the portable classrooms in the back of my shop property!!!

I see they have brick on the floor.

Was it cemented in or laying loose? Do you think the building was on a slab?

What is the yellow floor made out of in the 2nd picture?

I see the angled windows in the ceiling, but was there also a drop ceiling?

Did they have any special grow lights?

Thanks for any info.

#157876 January 31st, 2006 at 03:13 AM
Rue from the pictures the brick floor looks to be cemented...I would guess the yellow floor was indoor/outdoor type carpet. And it does appear there are ALOT of florescent type lights in there beside the natural light from all of the windows. I would like to have a greenhouse attached to the full length of the east side of my house and in it since it would be dirt floor, I would like to place gravel to allow for water drainage as the floor. But it's just a dream and unless we win the lottery. I suppose it will remain just a dream.

Link Copied to Clipboard