This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#156871 April 1st, 2006 at 01:18 PM
L
OP Offline
L
I have two gardenia trees (about 4') that I have wintered in my west facing studio with a grow light and natural light giving them 8 hours of light every day, cooler nights in the 60's and kept moist, not wet, with acid-rich watering. In the last couple of weeks, too early to put back outside, their leaves have browned and fallen off although their is substantial immature budding on most branches and tips. Oh, and frequent misting.

Is this condition normal for this time of year in the midwest?

#156872 April 1st, 2006 at 02:35 PM
Hi Bill! wavey

Welcome to the Forum! I'm sorry I don't have the answer to your question, Duh but I'm sure there are people here who will be able to answer it. Glad to have you aboard. muggs

Have a beautiful day! kit

#156873 April 1st, 2006 at 08:35 PM
Welcome to the forum Bill wavey

You may find your answer in the gardenia thread down in container gardening. If that doesn't answer your question you could post it again in plants and shrubs - you'll have lots of folks willing to help. Good luck and happy gardening. flw flw flw flw flw

#156874 April 1st, 2006 at 09:56 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Thank you, both. Now, being a neophyte, can you tell me how to locate 'container gardening' on the site? My cyber skills are often as limited as my gardening/nurturing skills.

Bill

#156875 April 1st, 2006 at 09:59 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Hi, Bill..... wavey
Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move your topic down into the plants and flowers forum so more people that know about Gardenias might be able to help you!

can you tell me how to locate 'container gardening' on the site?
Go to the main forum page and scroll down and take a look at all the different forums. thumbup
You will see Container Gardening there.

#156876 April 2nd, 2006 at 12:22 AM
D
D
I "inherited" a couple large Gardenia plants and have success keeping them alive and well. What I was told is to mist them, keep them pretty consistently moist and give about one cup of epsom salts to a gallon of water about once a month. Mine have turned brown as you say and when I think "Uh~oh" they start to get new growth and look good all over again! I am in PA and have one in my downstairs family room were it is a little cool and one upstairs in my living room where it is warm and that one does better but both look good and have just recently bloomed. I haven't seen brown for awhile, maybe fall. WHen mine get brown I take them outside if possible and shake all of that off.

Hope that helps you, I come from a greenhouse family where my husbands Grandma has raised these and several other plants for most of her life. She told me how to care for them so hopefully that answers some of your questions!

Good luck!

#156877 April 3rd, 2006 at 07:08 PM
wavey hi there,

welcome to the forum....

Link Copied to Clipboard