This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#154153 January 25th, 2006 at 09:44 AM
Amber J Offline OP
OP Offline
One of the reasons why I love this forum is the giving and getting advice part. Plus you guys are just so darned nice!

So I have an advice question, something that happens to someone somewhere every day, and it is happening to me at work.

So, I'm of Jewish heritage. I'm totally proud of that. I often hear anti-Semitic comments, and I usually ignore them. Sometimes if I can think of a snappy comeback I'll pop off with it, but to be honest I'm not that quick on my feet. (Once, when I was working at a restaurant, a waiter said something about NY Jews and how they think they own the whole world. I said, "I know what you mean - my parents are NY Jews!)

Anyway, I've hear a couple of comments here and there at my job that I LOVE, and I try to ignore em. I chalk it up to ignorance and let it go. But today, someone made a comment about someone being cheap - and how he was "such a Jew". It really got to me! That's kind of a common one, I'm sure we've all heard it. Which makes me think it won't be the last time.

My question is, what would you guys say if it were you? Any snappy comebacks out there?

#154154 January 25th, 2006 at 11:29 AM
oh, Amber... I empathize with you! kissies
I'm sure you must know by now that I, too, am Jewish?
I don't have a snappy comeback - I usually just let it go, realizing that the person who said it is so ignorant that they just can't help themselves - though it IS infuriating to hear something like that!

We lived in Reno for 7 years when we were first married. At the time, I wore a very tiny Jewish star on a thin chain - it was a gift from my grandfather when I was very young, and actually had more sentimental value to me than religious. I can't tell you how many people asked me why I was wearing a Sheriff's badge?!? HUH?????

So, I would explain what is was, and when I was done,
they would usually say - "oh, I get it - like Jehovah's Witnesses, right?"
Uhhhhhhhhh..... NO!

That's when I would give up and just walk away.
It wouldn't have made a dent otherwise!
Sometimes you just have to put on a thick skin and let it roll off your back, because there are many people who you simply cannot educate or change unfortunately!

#154155 January 25th, 2006 at 08:05 PM
Man has been trying to wipe out the Jews for hundreds of years. The Jew is still with us. Just remember that no matter Man may do, the Jew is still God's chosen people.

In the end everyone will answer to God, and then all the Jew haters will be punished.

If that is all they can do is insult you be thankful that is all they are doing.

Keep your head up, not all of us non-Jewish people feel the same way. I admire and respect the Jews. Because through it all the Jews are still, and that's the greatest miracle of ALL!! kissies

#154156 January 25th, 2006 at 08:06 PM
Man has been trying to wipe out the Jews for hundreds of years. The Jew is still with us. Just remember that no matter Man may do, the Jew is still God's chosen people.

In the end everyone will answer to God, and then all the Jew haters will be punished.

If that is all they can do is insult you be thankful that is all they are doing.

Keep your head up, not all of us non-Jewish people feel the same way. I admire and respect the Jews. Because through it all the Jews are still here, and that's the greatest miracle of ALL!! kissies

#154157 January 25th, 2006 at 09:27 PM
Because through it all the Jews are still here, and that's the greatest miracle of ALL!!
Interesting perspective... thanks!

Perseverance!

#154158 January 25th, 2006 at 09:46 PM
Have you been honest with them? Just tell them your Jewish and that the comments hurt you rather than using a snappy comeback.

#154159 January 25th, 2006 at 10:42 PM
Amber it just wounds my spirit to hear God's chosen people dismissed so rudely. Christians who love the Lord (I don't mean people who just go to church or people who call themselves christians because they aren't anything else) understand the deep connection between believers and the Jewish people. After all Jesus himself was Jewish.

I agree with Christina, just a simple statement that it bothers you when you hear that kind of talk may be more effective than a smart comment. If that doesn't work let us know and we'll work on snappy comebacks. My mother is very frugal (a nice way of saying she's wicked cheap) and quite proud of it. She just says she's a Scot.

#154160 January 25th, 2006 at 11:08 PM
In 1985 I had the opportunity to visit Dachau Concentration camp. When you walk through the gates you can feel the souls of the dead crying out.

I stood in the middle of the mass grave, I looked into the crematories. I stood in the "shower", I saw the claw marks on the door left by those trying to get out.

I don't understand how any people can be hated so much, that a nation would try to eliminate an entire race of people.

It wasn't just the Jews the Nazis didn't like, they also went after, homosexuals, communists, mentally retarded, non-whites, the list goes on and on.

I spent 27 in "West Berlin", at that time the Wall was still standing. I saw how the East Germans were treated, I saw the restrictions placed on them by the Russians.

I still don't understand hate, we are all people, we need to learn to love each other.

NOTE: as I was writing this and doing the spell check a banner for the "American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee".

Isn't it wonderful how God works?

#154161 January 26th, 2006 at 06:17 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Tried to post got kicked out.

Amber there are no end to stupid people who refuse to believe history. Liek Pat has already said People have tried to wipe out the Jewish Nation all through history if you notice they are no longer around not the least was Nazi Germany. The Jewish ntion keeps on prevailing as they will being Gods chosen people. I went to school with some Jewish kids trhat came from Nazi Germany at the start of WWII. This one girl that was in my class was born on Ellis Island waiting for her family to be allowed into the U.S. In school we helped these kids celebrate Jewish holidays (in New Mexico at that time light skinned people were few) and they all celebrated our holidays whether christian or just Mexican or Indian celebrations. We were taught to repsect them and thier Religion and they always respected ours. I never heard any anti-sematic talk or writings until I was grown and moved east to the city then I discovered thing I neve knew existed before not the lease discrimantion because of our accents (mine is now Tex-Mex accent). I was called greezer because of where I was born and raised. At the time I was growing up in New Mexico there was no Synagog(sp)so the Jewish went to different churches. We respected the Star of David as well as the Jewish people and I will till I die. I have Bible of Protestant ( included are the Morman Books and the Jehovah Witness Bible) and Catholic, but not the Jewish as I don't know where to get one. I study them and find a lot of all of them are alike. To me you are a dear friend I don't try to make someone beleive the way I do and don't expect them to. Bet you wish I was still feeling to bad to post huh. laugh
Jimmy

#154162 January 26th, 2006 at 07:12 AM
Amber..you'd be surprised how many people use those terms like Jews being cheap without even meaning it as discriminitory...is just as way of words..it's awful I know but I still think that you should be honest with them and just tell them how you feel. I bet they'd feel awful for even using the word "Jewish" in that context. You'd both feel better afterwards I'm sure.

#154163 January 26th, 2006 at 11:01 AM
Snow Bunny
Snow Bunny
I have to agree with Christina. People don't intend to be hurtful mostly, they speak without thinking. Tell them.....really.

I always say my cheapo b-i-l is tighter than the bark on a tree.

#154164 January 27th, 2006 at 02:15 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I'd like to have all the dollars I've waisted. The church I belong to now doesn't go out of it's way to teach frugal ways. But I find that if I follow the teachings of the gospel I will be frugal in my spending. That being the case I would have to say that they are noticing how well the jewish people follow the gospel.

And of course when a person is frugal that usually means they have the money for nice things like their own homes much sooner than those that don't.

#154165 January 27th, 2006 at 10:08 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
My wife use to say they were so tight they squeaked when they walked. When she was talking about someone that hated to spend money.
Jimmy

#154166 January 27th, 2006 at 11:41 AM
Originally posted by JV:
My wife use to say they were so tight they squeaked when they walked. When she was talking about someone that hated to spend money.
Jimmy
laugh I always say that too.Probably got it from my Mom.She is so generous to everyone else,but I swear,she's still using the same tin foil from 1982.

Amber, I'm sorry you have to listen to such bigoted,ignorant comments.
It probably is just ignorance.

I'm ashamed to admit,in my own family,I've heard the term,"jew them down",which means,get it cheaper.
My oldest son is an amateur artist,he loves painting dragons and wizards and all kinds of sci-fi stuff.When he was 12 he put a swastika in one of his paintings.
I was horrified of course.That day we had a very long talk about the nazis and the Jewish community.

It was only ignorance on his part.And a big wake-up call for me as a Mother.I just assumed he would get a good history education by age 12.

I don't think you should just let those comments go by without saying anything.
I don't know about snappy comebacks,but .......
I've said things like," hey, Jesus was the most famous Jew of all"

wink hmmm.....maybe they'll look it up.

#154167 January 27th, 2006 at 07:59 PM
Also another thought the Bible was written and published by Jews.

#154168 January 27th, 2006 at 08:04 PM
Originally posted by duckie:
My oldest son is an amateur artist,he loves painting dragons and wizards and all kinds of sci-fi stuff.When he was 12 he put a swastika in one of his paintings.
When I stationed in Berlin, we had some trees on post that were in the shape of a swastika, one arm of the swastika had been removed, but the basic shape was still there.

Also there was a room in the barracks that had a swastika shape in the floor, part of it had been removed.

#154169 January 30th, 2006 at 06:52 AM
Amber J Offline OP
OP Offline
I remember when I was younger, swastikas came in to style. My neighbor's older sister came to pick her up one day at my house and she had a swastika drawn on her sweats. My father - normally a nice, and calm man, got extremely angry. He asked her if she had any idea what it represented and then kicked her out of the house. Her mom came over because she had gone home crying, and my dad was absolutely beside himself, wondering how she could possibly defend such a thing.

Anyway it's true - I didn't really realize that the Jews wrote the bible, etc. I think what I'm going to do is just make a joke out of it. At least it shows that I have a sense of humor, and he'll look like an ***. My friend suggested that I make a comment about how I got cheap presents at Chanuka or something! LOL

Thanks for all the kind words smile

#154170 January 30th, 2006 at 10:23 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
When I was a kid anyone that had a swastika anywhere on clothes etc. was jailed no questions asked some spent rest of the war in prison camps they didn't fool around with the enemy back then.
Jimmy

#154171 February 4th, 2006 at 01:41 AM
R
R
ditto what everyone has said.

I am lousy at thinking fast on my feet. My best comebacks are always at night, just before I fall asleep!!

Very good Amigatec I love your point!!

duckie my brother and I used that term too "___ them down" as little kids. Mom would always correct us but not until we understood what we were saying, who we were degrading and the trials they had been through as a people were we able to break the bad habit. SO often it is ignorance.

It is sad that the swastika which in victorian times meant something good was taken to stand for something so evil.

#154172 February 4th, 2006 at 01:11 PM
It's appauling that in the year 2006 there are STILL sooo many bigoted , ignorant people . Knowing me and the smart -mouth I can have when pushed would probably have lost my job by now by retaliating. I've been called names for being Italian but I've also told them (the name callers) Don't make me call in my Uncle Vinnie,, and Uncle Tony on you, LOL that for the most part made them step off me,, people like that have been brought up with no sensitivity towards the horrific era of hitler .
I agree with the others speak up and let them know that those comments are inappropiate, and old and tired . Don't you have a policy at your job regarding comments against race, creed, or religion??
I also agree that people open their mouths and talk with foot in. Thick skin is a development of a hard journey sometimes, And sometimes thinking quick on your feet doesn't fix the problem it only delays it untill next time,, Is there any way you could take that person aside and speak with them in private with out gossip about the conversation afterward??
I always try and I do mean try to remember that for every positive approach there's a positive reaction,, But I know it hard to be positive approaching someone that's been ignorant and insensitive thats when I really have to dig deep to remain positive,, but Most times I happen through with the positive and Most times there is positive results.
Hugs for ya
angell

BTW I don't have an Uncle Vinnie OR Uncle Tony lala laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard