This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#153396 June 23rd, 2006 at 10:01 AM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Most of us have kids (or Grandkids) & can't deny that we like to brag & show them off! Here's an opportunity to do just that with our stories & pictures, as we teach them how to play in the dirt ...in a way that really counts!

When they're "under foot" & it feels like they must have a secret conspiracy planned out to foul up your day, could it be that they're just bored? Get them busy! Remember that "as the twig is bent, so grows the tree", & that they're learning how to be adults by observing us. (That might be a scary thought sometimes!) I've learned that the time invested in involving the kids in my activities & interests is time saved in the long run. Kids can be terrific little helpers, both inside & outside of the house... & can prove to be pretty creative with some of their own ideas, when given the chance!

My 7 year old Granddaughter is a strawberry & tomato fanatic, convinced that she could survive with nothing else in her diet! Because she wants the most fruit she can get, she has made it her business to maintain her favorite plants by watering & feeding them properly & to watch for unwanted bugs, suckers & runners. (She spends 2 or 3 days a week here, & trusts me to fill in for her on the other days!)

A couple days ago she noticed the paper owl sitting at the top of the bulletin board here by my desk, that she'd made for me in preschool when she was 4 years old. She said that the owl needed to be out in the strawberries, because small birds are afraid of big owls & it would keep them from snacking on her berries! We talked about how special this particular owl is to me, & since it's made out of paper, how sad I'd be if it got ruined in the sun & the rain.

Brilliant child that she is, she headed straight for the "craft cabinet" (a nightmare in home decorating, as it's one more piece of furniture crowding a small room... but it works for us.) She found chop sticks to use as ground stakes, rubber cement & wiggle eyes, then announced that I didn't have everything she needed to make owls with, & that we had to go to Walmart to get feathers & something waterproof! kissies

(Another of her/our recent gardening projects, Up-Side-Down Tomatoes , is posted in the Container Gardening forum.)

What are your kids doing in the garden?

#153397 June 23rd, 2006 at 10:26 AM
VERY nice owl!

Merme

#153398 June 23rd, 2006 at 12:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That is really cool Patty! What a smart little girl! thumbup

#153399 June 23rd, 2006 at 04:29 PM
That is a VERY awesome owl Patty!!!

My kiddos LOVE LOVE LOVE to help me in the garden. They are out now looking for new strawberries every day. None to be found so far, but they still look anyhow. We are also watching the blackberry bushes across the street as they go from flower to fruit and they know once the fruit is dark it will be berry picking time.

#153400 June 23rd, 2006 at 11:48 PM
That is so awsome!! She did a great job!!.. Thanks for sharing! thumbup flw flw clp

#153401 June 24th, 2006 at 12:06 AM
If that isn't THE MOST ADORABLE owl I've ever seen!!!
That is the sweetest story, Patty.
You too are so fortunate to have each other. kissies

Thanks so much for sharing this with us! thumbup

#153402 June 24th, 2006 at 02:30 AM
How cute is that...she did a fantastic job thumbup thumbup flw flw flw

#153403 June 24th, 2006 at 03:46 AM
J
J
One of my favorite pics of my son early last spring. Notice his gardening gloves! laugh He loves to dig and plant seeds in the garden. He's not big on weeding though.

Large pic warning...

Click here...

#153404 June 24th, 2006 at 07:56 AM
Oh that is ADORABLE John!

#153405 June 24th, 2006 at 11:10 AM
AHHHH that IS adorable John , At least he has a plastic shovel!! My 6 yr ols Grandson Manages to find my heavy shovel(I call myself hiding it BEfore he gets here) I've had to back fill many a holes with him here ,, I don't get angry w/ him he knows to stay away from my flowers with the shovel,, Besides he just says he is getting the hole ready for when ever I decide what to plant in it laugh wink laugh laugh

Patty! .... the owl is Cute, cute cute!!! clp clp cool

#153406 June 24th, 2006 at 12:25 PM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
John, that pic is so precious! You'll cherish that one for a long time to come! I've got so many pics of my kids helping outside when they were little, but they're not digital (& I sure wish they were.)

BG doesn't mind weeding, & is just like her Grandma; forever reaching down to pull a weed up... even when it's not in HER yard! laugh (Another one of those habits that die hard!) I can't blame your little boy for not being big on weeding.. not with those gloves! Just wait... with any luck he'll grow into them & you'll have the best little helper in the world! luv

Link Copied to Clipboard