This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#152357 June 14th, 2006 at 08:45 PM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Our day was short, with only 6 hours of daylight remaining after Triss hit town, but we made the best of it.

First, we went to see the Juniper that someone had trimmed into the shape of an Octopus. (The landscaping in that whole yard was picture perfect!
[Linked Image]
That set us to brain storming about how I could do the same thing with the Juniper that is crawling down part of the hillside above my Iris. I don't enjoy working on Juniper, but doing something creative with it just might be worth the effort ...& injury!
(This Juniper was the tight, low-growing variety, while mine is the larger, sprawling type.)

We went to the local Master Gardener's garden site, where so many things were in bloom & flourishing. We were the only ones there, so we couldn't ask questions about some of the plants, so we took some pics & brought them here for the Mystery plant thread.

The stump with succulents planted in it was a lot more impressive this time, than it was when I was there last...
[Linked Image]February '06

[Linked Image]June '06

The Lilly garden was absolutely bursing with color!
[Linked Image]
The one in the foreground was actually a mauve color, but came out looking pink in the pic... too bad, cuz it was gorgeous! (Triss might post the pics she took, when she has time, & I'll put a couple in Mystery plants.) We should have taken more pics here... they have an "A-B-C garden" in the children's section, where there are plants lined up & identified in alphabetical order, & a kid-sized version of the Hummingbird House of Cedar Hill! Awesome!

Our sight seeing tour was interrupted when we had to go rescue Dave. His car broke down a few miles from where we were, so we found him & towed him home where he could work on it. Triss also got to meet my Grandgirls, Mariann & BG, & they took her on the nickel tour of their yard & showed her their pheasants, quail & Silkie chickens. Next time, Triss HAS TO bring her kids... they'll love it over there!

By this time we were pretty hungry, so after a quick stop at a friend's house to see how big Wisteria can get in 4 years (Triss got some cuttings & seeds from it), Keith took us to dinner ...cuz nobody had put the cord on my new stove & plugged it in yet! [Linked Image] Hee hee! I didn't hafta cook!

After dinner we toured my yard & loaded Triss's van up with Strawberries, Hydrangeas, Bearded Iris rhizomes, & Lihodora & Sunscape Daisy starts. (She'll keep her Mom plenty busy this week, planting all that!)

By 11:30 we had played with computers & yacked ourselves silly & were ready to crash. We'll have a couple hours in the morning to see what kind of trouble we can get into, before she has to hit the road to fetch her Mom from the airport. (Might even remember to take more pics.) Even though our time together this time hasn't been much on quantity, it certianly has been quality!

#152358 June 14th, 2006 at 10:45 PM
Sounds like a wonderful and busy day, Patty!
Thanks for sharing it all with us. thumbup

How nice for Triss to get all those goodies to bring home and plant.
Don't you just love spreading your flower children all around the country? laugh grinnnn

Can't wait to see more pictures! clp

#152359 June 14th, 2006 at 11:25 PM
I hope to see more Pics!!! How great!! I am sure it was nice for Triss to get a little break! I know it is hard for moms to get a chance to do that!
Have a great visit you two!! thumbup

#152360 June 14th, 2006 at 11:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm so glad that ya'll have gotten the chance to spend some time together thumbup Hanging out in person with your buddies is the GREATEST!

Can't wait to see some more pics thumbup

#152361 June 14th, 2006 at 11:59 PM
Cant wait to see more pics thumbup flw flw

#152362 June 15th, 2006 at 12:27 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Isn't meeting forum friends in person FUN? grinnnn

I know you guys had a good time!

#152363 June 15th, 2006 at 02:17 AM
How cool
Was neat to hear and see, look forward to more pics.
Angie

#152364 June 15th, 2006 at 02:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm so glad you all had a nice time, and I'm looking forward to hearing more...and maybe seeing some more pics. thumbup

#152365 June 15th, 2006 at 02:42 AM
I did not realize that Patty started a thread for this trip, so I wanted to add my morning post to it. That way it is all in one place. And once I do get home, I will add my pics as well.

Looking very forward to bringing the kiddos back down, it is like being home visiting here!

Here is what I wrote over in the CH.

Good Morning my friends.

I let Patty have the bathroom, thought I was sneaking in there while no one was around cuz I did not hear a sound when I got up. A house that does not have 6 kids running around is a lot quieter than one with 2 adults.

Looked outside and told Patty it is a beautiful morning and she looked at me like I had 2 heads. It is cloudy and looks like rain but so far isn't. I guess our idea of a beautiful morning is not quite the same At least I do not have to drive in blinding sun today.

Patty took me to the gardens here yesterday and they are so beautiful. Loads of blooms everywhere and so many things that both of us want to have in our yards. Awesome stuff! Then she and Keith took me out to dinner and we came back here and gardened. The back of my van in loaded with strawberries and all kinds of other things. Mom and I will have lots to do outside this week. Good thing she likes to garden as well.

Off to have some coffee and visit a bit before I have to head on out. Will check in after I get home.

#152366 June 15th, 2006 at 04:04 AM
AV Queen
AV Queen
Wow! Looks like you guys had some serious fun! thumbup

Triss stopped here for a quick visit yesterday. She was given a whirlwind tour of my town...My somewhat empty current house and met the chicks, the feed store where I work, the new house that is under construction,and the best place for lunch. grinnnn

After hearing about all the fun she and Patty had, I am sorry that I couldn't make it down there to be with them.

#152367 June 15th, 2006 at 06:56 AM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Sarah, we're sorry too, that you couldn't join us! One day when you decide it's time for a mental health break, jump in your car & come on down! (There's always something cool growing somewhere around here, & maybe Keith will even take us to dinner!) grinnnn In our travels yesterday, I showed Triss the Iris stands that I was telling you about... the ones that like to have their feet wet & are growing in a swampy area by David's house. I don't know if they're Siberian Iris or some other type, but she agreed that they'd probably love living by the creek in your new back yard. (Maybe I WON'T dig some up for you, & will make you come & get them! YOU need a break, too!)

OK, you all wanted more pics, but we couldn't imagine what to take pics of! (Should have had Keith take some snaps of us when he took us for dinner last night.) So, how's this? Our exciting morning consisted of coffee & chit chat, while Triss tried her hand at my cigarette rolling machine...
[Linked Image]

...and we took a stroll to the edge of the road by my driveway, to look at the yellow flowers growing there. (Funny, I've never noticed those... & I drive past them nearly every day!) :rolleyes: The neigbor lady was outside, so I asked her what they are & she said St John's Wart.
[Linked Image]
I told her, "Heck, I thought St. John's Wart was a pill!" shk
(I think that instead of driving over to the Master Gardener's gardens, I could save gas & just take a walk around my own neighborhood!)

Then we loaded the back of the van with her "getaway plants"
[Linked Image]
192 Strawberry plants, a pot of Hydrangeas, a kitty litter bag full of various Bearded Iris rhizomes, Wisteria, Lihodora & Sunscape Daisy starts & 3 Spider plants. I threw in some books & CD's for the kids, but have thought ever since she left, that there should have been more. (There was still room in there!)

So, you wanted more pics... how exciting was this?! nutz (Next time, maybe we need to get some costumes. Clown suits & Nun outfits have already been used for reunion garb, so we'll hafta think of something original!) laugh

#152368 June 15th, 2006 at 07:33 AM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
... Oh, but I'm not done yet! There always has to be mystery & intrigue to travel stories, you know, & here's the best we could come up with;
The unscheduled segment of Triss's getaway adventure....

Naturally, we couldn't just do hugs & wave bye-bye like "normal" people. We actually did that, but the van didn't want to leave! [Linked Image] The E-brake was stuck & wouldn't release, which is no big deal if a person wants to back up ...but 187 miles of that would make for a pretty stiff neck, & more time would probably be wasted explaining the situation to the Oregon State Troopers!

Knowing that David is experienced with car problems (& he owed us anyway, for towing him home last night), we called him to the rescue!

He crawled under the car (well, as far as he could fit, anyway) & did some unintelligible mumbling...
[Linked Image]

...then he pushed & pulled & took off the cover of brake release handle, while Triss practiced her hair-tearing routine...
[Linked Image]
...and he found a little plastic piece of the mechanism that was broken off, jamming up the workings. Our hero! [Linked Image]

I sent her on her way 40 minutes later than planned, but we'd decided that if she didn't make it to the airport before her Mom's plane landed, chances are she'd hang out & wait! (I called Dan to let him know not to panic if his MIL calls to say that Triss is a no show!)

OK, you wanted pics & that's all I could come up with. How'd I do? grinnnn

#152369 June 15th, 2006 at 08:06 AM
Sounds like you guys had a great time minus the car troubles! Some one needs to come to the beach! grinnnn Glad you got to see each other and have some much needed down time!

#152370 June 15th, 2006 at 09:48 AM
Sounds like you guys had a wonderful time. clp And all the goodies to be brought home. WOW What great friends. smile Sue

#152371 June 15th, 2006 at 09:49 AM
Forgot. Thanks for the pics!! Sue

#152372 June 15th, 2006 at 01:28 PM
And I am home. Thing have been and still are crazy here, but we are here safe and sound. Will post more later.

#152373 June 15th, 2006 at 01:34 PM
AV Queen
AV Queen
Glad you made it home in one piece! thumbup

#152374 June 16th, 2006 at 05:01 PM
All has been good here, nice visit with mom but going, going, going. Here are a couple of my pics.

A pic of Sarah and I outside of the best lunch place in town. I had the best burger in ages!
[Linked Image]

And one of Patty in front of her beautiful pink roses!
[Linked Image]

#152375 June 16th, 2006 at 07:18 PM
Great pictures Patty & Triss. thumbup It sounds like a fun time was had by all. wink

#152376 June 16th, 2006 at 11:58 PM
Lovin' those pictures!
You all look so happy! thumbup

#152377 June 17th, 2006 at 01:27 AM
Love the pictures Patty&Triss thanks for sharing. thumbup

#152378 June 17th, 2006 at 01:56 AM
Geez, you all make me jealous. I'm too far away to meet anybody. I'm glad that you all can meet one another though. I'm still wondering how much ground your going to have to dig up for 192 strawberry plants shk

Great to put some faces to these names again.

#152379 June 17th, 2006 at 12:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
thumbup isn't meeting members the most fun! one day i'll make it west!!

#152380 June 17th, 2006 at 12:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's so cool seeing pictures of you all together!!!!! Thanks for sharing your time together with us all! thumbup

#152381 June 18th, 2006 at 06:02 PM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Gawsh Triss, I have a whole shoe box full of bad pics of myself... you could have told me you wanted one! :rolleyes: What a horrible shot! I didn't think the sun was that bright, but I'm squinting to the point that it looks like I have no eyes, the CD on top of the books I was holding must have been reflecting on my face, cuz I look like a burn victim, (I have no idea why it looks like I'm missing some teeth), & since the pic doesn't show that I have one foot down in the flower bed & the other one up on the sidewalk, it looks like I must be doing the Pee-Pee dance or something! laugh Oh well!

I hadn't been out to the Master Gardener's garden site since February, but I was just as impressed with it as I think Triss was, as she saw it for the first time. They've got every plant & shrub imaginable there (...Except Wisteria! We couldn't find one anywhere!!) Duh

Anyway, I was so delighted to see the kiddie section in full bloom, that I took BG out there the next day. (Triss & I didn't take any pics while we were there... cuz we didn't have any kids with us, I guess.) I'm sure that her kids would have liked it if they'd have been here! (Next time, for sure!)

I mentioned the kid-sized version of the Hummingbird House on the last page ~ here it is. The framework for the walk-through is made up of rebar.
[Linked Image]
(We got some seeds from a couple of the Clematis on it.)

The ABC garden is in full bloom right now, with each plant in front of its letter of the alphabet, along with respective ID markers.
[Linked Image]
(Notice the ABC tiles on the pathway.)

These shovel birds are scattered around in the kiddie section.
[Linked Image]
(I just KNEW I was saving all those broken yard tools & sprinkler heads for something!) grinnnn

Maybe when she gets back to "normal" after her busy week, she'll post more of the pics that she took on her get-away.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard