This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#152354 December 29th, 2005 at 03:51 AM
beebiz Offline OP
OP Offline
As I have said in my "Ground-up corn cobs" post, I have gotten access to a new garden spot that is about 40' X 60'. I've done a soil test and the pH was 2.0. I have since added lime and tilled it in. But, the soil also has a rather high clay content and I wanted to improve it.

In the past, I've used cotton seed hulls for this purpose because they seem to affect very little about the soil except its quality. But, the price of the hulls (regardless of quantity) has gone through the roof!

After reading about ground corn cobs doing basically the same thing, I thought they might be the answer to my prayers. But, it seems that the availability of the ground corn cobs is virtually nonexistent in my area. So that blows that idea!

In the past, there have been a couple of times that I have used hay to mulch tomatoes. But, I stopped this because of the problems caused by such a high grass seed content in the hay.

I've been doing some research on different items to use for compost and mulch. One of the suggested items that I came across was Coastal Bermuda hay. According to what I have read, if the user will make sure that he is getting hay that has a high CB content, there should be little problem with grass seed. Additionally, the CB is supposed to produce little to no seed and is propagated vegetatively. Therefore the CB is not suppose cause a problem with Bermuda infestation like other Bermudas will.

Have any of you used Coastal Bermuda hay to mulch or compost with? If so, what were your results. Did you notice any increased levels of weed/grass problems in the area(s) where you used it?

By the way, I know that CB hay is considered premium hay and is therefore normally very expensive hay. However, I know of about 4 places where I can get CB hay that is old and no longer qualifies as premium hay. And, I know of 2 of the places where I can get it for as little as $1 per square bale. One of the guys said that I could have as many of his old large round bales as I wanted for %10 per bale! Huge price reductions from the $3.50 to $4.00 per square bale for premium hay!

Thanks in advance for any information that you are willing to share.

Robert

I'm more concerned with your Ph of 2.0 That sounds either inaccurate or impossible to grow anything in. 2.0 is like vinegar. I'd do further Ph tests over a wider area.
As for the bales of hay for $1 or $10 for a round bale.
It's a bargain! Irrespective of the type of grass etc, etc, old bales, esp if partially decomposed or rotted, of any grass type, are excellent mulch and will add organic matter to the soil. Get as much as you can. If seed comes up, dig it in while still young and green (before it seeds) and add further to your soil. It's all good.

See!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/m.longstaff/DSC01662.jpg

beebiz Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey Longy,

Thanks for your reply.

"I'm more concerned with your Ph of 2.0 That sounds either inaccurate or impossible to grow anything in. 2.0 is like vinegar. I'd do further Ph tests over a wider area."

Tell me about it!! After getting such results from one spot in the area, I tested SIX more areas and came up with similar results. None were over 3.0!! But with the lime I have added, I now get a result of 6.0 to 7.0 depending on where it is taken. I don't know what caused such a high acid content. But, I know that certain Hydrangias will turn blue in highly acidic soils. And, there is a Hydrangia bush that is growing nearby and though it doesn't look to be the healthiest one I've ever seen, its blooms are the deepest navy blue that I've ever seen on one!

"As for the bales of hay for $1 or $10 for a round bale.
It's a bargain! Irrespective of the type of grass etc, etc, old bales, esp if partially decomposed or rotted, of any grass type, are excellent mulch and will add organic matter to the soil. Get as much as you can. If seed comes up, dig it in while still young and green (before it seeds) and add further to your soil. It's all good."

I had about made up my mind that this was the case. You've just sort of confirmed it for me.

Again, thanks!!

Robert

Link Copied to Clipboard