This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#14846 October 26th, 2004 at 02:36 AM
duckie Offline OP
OP Offline
Howdy fellow herb lovers.This is my first year growing these basils.I luv these plants,they're so pretty and smell so good.I want to save seeds to share and plant next year.
About 3 weeks ago I harvested the dry seed spikes and put them in a brown paper bag.So far no seeds have come out.
Did I pick them to soon?

Please help if you can. grinnnn grinnnn grinnnn

#14847 October 26th, 2004 at 04:33 PM
Actually it sounds like you waited till all the seeds had fallen out!! hehehe As soon as you see black seeds inside the spire then pick the stem. I have discovered (this year was my first as well) that if I wait till the spire is brown there are no longer any seeds inside. If the seeds are green, they are not ripe. But if you see black ones you really don't even need to pic kthe spire (they do not all ripen together) just run your hand along under the ones that are ripe of lightly tap into a container.

If you actually get any seeds from this I would LOVE some of the Lime Basil. (I have plenty of Cinnamon Basil, if you need some for next year!! Also Sweet Italian or Genovese!! I LOVE this one!! It has very large, lovely leaves!!) thumbup I just LOVE Basil!!!

#14848 October 27th, 2004 at 01:42 AM
duckie Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Bonnie wavey thanks for replying.I checked,nope those dang seeds are still in there.I took all the seed heads out of the bag,and viola, a few seeds in the bottom.I'd like very much to swap seeds with you.Would you mind the seed heads?Or would you rather wait til' I get an honarable amount of seed?
I'd like any of your sunflowers or zinnias.I love both.

Thanks,
Shari

#14849 October 27th, 2004 at 07:33 AM
I do not mind the seed heads!! I just collected a bunch of my Basil today--I just cleaned the seedheads off the stalk and put them all in a paper bag. Will shake the bag from time to time as they dry and all then I will have the seeds separate of the heads! wink I wouldn't mind sending you some of either or both. PM me for address exchange!! Thanks!! Bonnie

#14850 October 27th, 2004 at 06:55 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
I was reading your posts and saw that you are basil lovers....you need to try the African blue basil. It is my FAV!!!! I didn't get to plant any last year and I missed it more than any of the other variaties. It is very hardy and looks a lot like the lemon basil. I also tried the Red Rueben basil last year but didn't care for it as well. wavey

#14851 October 27th, 2004 at 07:19 PM
I would love some of any of the above mentioned basil seeds if anyone is willing to send some... I can SASE but I dont have any basil seeds to trade. I just started basil this year and only have sweet basil and have yet to let any of it seed.

Triss

#14852 October 27th, 2004 at 11:25 PM
duckie Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Triss wavey I'd be glad to send you some seeds no sase needed.Just pm your address.

Hey how 'bout you mosey on over to the recipe section and share some of those yummy cookie recipes. grinnnn grinnnn grinnnn

Shari

#14853 October 28th, 2004 at 04:05 PM
Shari,

Sent you a message. Will do on the recipes. Will get to that this afternoon!

Triss

#14854 November 3rd, 2004 at 10:37 PM
duckie Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Bettina,sure I'll swap with you.Like I said tho,they are the seed heads.

Hey come on over to the tight wad post in landscaping please.Tell us your ideas.I'd like to know more about how you made those pavers.

wavey Shari

Link Copied to Clipboard