This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#148052 March 22nd, 2006 at 12:07 AM
OP Offline
I've started to knit this winter to keep myself busy when my garden is frozen! LOL here's a pic of my 1/2 completed first project- the scarf.....

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6dd00b3127cce978e20bc941300000016100BbtWzduyYsZ[/img]

#148053 March 22nd, 2006 at 02:43 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
I'm a 53 year old grandfather and I have knitted and crocheted for 30 years. (I also do counted cross stitch, weave, braid, coiled basketry, and flintknap). I am retired and mainly do wild bird research now.

#148054 March 22nd, 2006 at 04:41 AM
Very nice scarf! Love the colors!

I took up knitting again last winter, just before it became an all out craze here - people were going so bezerk over knitting that the stores had trouble keeping any yarn on the shelves!

I've posted pictures of my catbeds here. I knitted 3 of those last year and am looking forward to making more once the afghan for my daughter is done - almost there - finally! It will be a year this April, since my mom passed it to me to do - she did the first 5 inches of one strip, but her hands shake way too much for her to knit anymore - very sad, as she enjoyed it so much.

Here's a link to the journal I started last year on my knitting - did you know that you can dye 100% wool yarn with kool-aid? It's very easy and lots of fun.

my knitting journal

#148055 March 22nd, 2006 at 07:34 AM
OP Offline
thanks guys! smile i think i just needed something to calm me and get my mind off of life during the winter and knitting seemed to fit that bill as i can do it indoors! smile during the summer my garden is my peace. i can go out and pick weeds and rocks and watch my babies grow and that calms my soul. during the winter months i seem to go slowly insane. LOL i think i'm finally getting the feel of knitting though- it is kind of addicting! smile

#148056 March 22nd, 2006 at 07:40 AM
OP Offline
wow- i looked through your journal! those cat beds are awesome! i have 2 kitties who would probably love it! i am not familiar with round needles or increasing or decreasing yet- that's why i'm still working on a scarf. BUT when this is done i need to learn those. smile

#148057 March 22nd, 2006 at 09:19 AM
It definitely is addicting!!!
And you wrote my sentiments exactly about gardening... and how knitting helps to pass the time while waiting for the nicer weather.

The catbeds that look like pie shapes are knit on straight needles - that was the attraction of the pattern to me. It took me a little while to understand the pattern, but once I got it, it was a snap - you can definitely do it - I'm pretty much a novice too!

by the way... do you live anywhere near Honesdale PA? Both my kids went to sleepaway camp there for many years.

#148058 March 22nd, 2006 at 11:45 AM
OP Offline
actually i'm not real familiar with areas around here- we've been here for only 3 years. originally from south fl believe it or not! yes, a BIG change i know. i had to look it up on the net and it's probably about an hour north of us.

can i ask how you knit a circular pattern on straight needles?

i finished my 2 ball of yarn tonight for my scarf and i think i made it a tad wide. size 11 needles, bulky yard and 15 stiches. it's ok, but not a typical scarf! LOL it is a tad shorter than i like so i'll go and pick up a 3rd ball tomorrow. what would be an easy 2nd project for a beginner? another smaller scarf say with a pattern? i've practiced ribbing & checkerboards. for this scarf i just did all knit. ribbing didn't appeal to me for a scarf and checkerboard i would loose count and end up with a row extra, which is really no big deal i know. BUT i'd know it was there and it'd bug the heck out of me every time i looked at it! and i was really jonesing to get something accomplished besides a zillion swatches. hehe- i told my daughter she could have them all for barbie blankets! LOL

#148059 March 22nd, 2006 at 09:13 PM
Hi again...

The interesting thing about the bed pattern, is that it gets turned around on the needles as you increase each row, and at the very end you sew it into a round piece - I know... it doesn't make sense, and I had to do it myself to even understand what they meant, but it did all fall into place. It might be a bit advanced for you if you haven't done increasing yet.

Do you do both knit and pearl stitches? If so, I also found a cute cat paw print pattern that you might be interested in - I haven't tried it yet, so can't tell you how hard it is.

The catnip toys are VERY easy to make and my cats love them, as well as the cats I've sent some to for gifts. All you have to do is knit a square piece - the rest is in the stuffing and sewing up, which is easy too. If you like, I can PM the pattern to you.

#148060 March 22nd, 2006 at 11:40 PM
OP Offline
sure. you acn send it to me. yes, i can purl and knit- i just need to sit and figure out how to increase and decrease. after i finish this scarf that's be my "project" to learn that. then maybe i'll start another REAL project. LOL

#148061 March 22nd, 2006 at 11:55 PM
ok - am PMing you right now.

#148062 March 22nd, 2006 at 11:56 PM
ooops - you don't have that feature enabled, so I can't send it.

#148063 March 23rd, 2006 at 09:20 AM
OP Offline
ok i guess i never checked that box! i just went in and changed it so you can send it if you want! smile

#148064 March 23rd, 2006 at 09:27 AM
ok - I've been waiting for you to notice...
here goes...

#148065 March 31st, 2006 at 02:47 PM
you guys need to teach me!
I have yarn, a bunch of knitting and crocheting needles, books on it, and I still don't get it!
>^.^<

#148066 March 31st, 2006 at 08:53 PM
Hey there!
I've been knitting since I was about 10 (so that's 15 years now). Usually most of my knitting happens right before Christmas time though, I seem to get the "brilliant idea" that mitts make great Christmas presents every year. This year I had some great ones though!
pagarden, I got myself a very cute and very easy hat pattern this winter...it has knit, purl, some increase and decrease...but, if you're up for the challenge of learning I can email you the pattern with the instructions on how to do the in and de creasing. Oh! The hat is ribbed with ear flaps and braids from the ends.
Bebop, I really wish I could help! I've tried teaching over the Internet before and it just doesn't function well. You might want to check your local yarn store (speciality) to see if they have classes though.
Nice stuff plants n pots!!! Have you picked up crocheting yet? It's way different from knitting, but also pretty easy. I was able to teach myself from a "how to" book.
Hummm...now you have me thinking....what should my next project be? I've got a nice daisy afghan pattern around here somewhere...

#148067 April 3rd, 2006 at 11:39 PM
OP Offline
yea- you can pm me the pattern for the hat! smile

bebop- i just did it from a book. i actually have 2 books- "knitting and crocheting for dummies" and "stitch & [BLEEP] a knitters handbook" cheching both of them while i was doing my hands on knitting was great. one explained things a bit different than the other and i got a better understanding of what i was supposed to do. my first few swatches ended up as trapeziods- i apparently kept adding stiches as i would turn the piece. i brought it to a friend who knits and she showed me what i was doing wrong and from that moment i fianlly grasped the concept! LOL i was off- i started checkerboards, ribbing, alternating rows of purl and knit. seed stitches. i actually have put it down for a week or so- my seed have started to grow and the weather has warmed so i've been outside more.

Link Copied to Clipboard