This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
My Granddaughters & I take flowers to people that we know, who are shut-in at home or in hospitals/nursing homes, & I didn't feel good about asking sick people to save my vases for me (they have more important things to focus on), but I was forever running out of vases last year (& so were the thrift stores)! Necessity being the mother of invention, I came up with a solution to my problem & started saving all our vitamin & over-the-counter medicine bottles!

On rainy days when my Grandgirls are here, we sit & cut out big circles of pretty gift wrap to cover the medicine bottles with, & tie ribbon at the mouth of the bottle to hold it in place. (cellophane or plastic gift wrap works better than paper, of course, as they do get wet.)

[Linked Image]
They look nice, & it doesn't matter if they get thrown away, because they cost nothing to make & there are always more where those came from!

Medicine bottles come in all sizes, so there is always an appropriate sized "vase" to fit the flowers we choose. (We're also able to color coordinate our vases to the colors of our bouquets!) If the blossoms are top-heavy for the light weight vases, a few small rocks in the bottles keep them from tipping over.

Since my husband accuses me of never throwing anything away, I hate to disappoint him, so besides hanging onto empty medicine bottles, I save used ribbon from birthday & Christmas gifts, cellophane gift wrap & even solid colored plastic bags that you get from stores occasionally. All the materials are collected in a big box, ready for our rainy-day craft project... that way, we always have a vase handy for when we hear that someone might appreciate a visit & a few flowers to cheer them up!

Yes, the roses are real... flw the first ones from that bush, this season! I used this opportunity to show them off, although they ARE a bit large for the biggest of the bottles we decorate! (Actually, that one is a plastic mayo jar!) The little blue flowers are my favorite, Nigella damascena (AKA love-in-a-mist, devil in the bush, Jack in the green, ragged lady & fennel flower.)

What a wonderful thing to do for those who are not well, Patty!
And what a great thing to teach your grandaughters about compassion!

Thrifty too!!!

Kudos to you and yours for bringing a ray of sunshine into other's lives! kissies kissies

Clever idea, Patty ~ I always hate throwing those perfectly good containers away but never know what else to do with them!

Merme

Clever idea, Patty ~ I always hate throwing those perfectly good containers away but never know what else to do with them!

Merme

What a great idea and i bet it makes someones day thumbup

A
A
what a wonderful thing to do and to teach children. I use plastic salad dressing bottles cause I'm just a klutz. Some of them have designs on them and can be painted (great rainy day project).

Link Copied to Clipboard