This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#146992 January 13th, 2006 at 02:22 PM
MsKatt Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a shady spot in my yard...it's quite large and has a natural depression in it. I would like to make a freefrom pond, but I truly have NO idea how to even go about it. We just bought the house and the yard is very overgrown. I will need to clear the HUGE weeds and plants out of the area before I can do anything. I don't want a huge pond, something about 8 ft sq.

I live in Michigan, and I would like fish in my pond...what do I do with them in the winter? How deep does my pond have to be? If it's only a few feet deep, it would freeze solid and my fishies would be fishsicles.

I have TONS of very large rocks that the previous owner used to landscape various parts of the yard. Some are huge...at least 3 ft across. I plan on incorporating those into my watergarden/pond area. Oh yeah, the area is VERY shady...does that make a difference?

I can't think of any other questions *right now*...

#146993 January 14th, 2006 at 12:07 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Hi, MsKatt... wavey
I have two ponds in my yard, but I am most definitely NOT qualified to answer any questions! laugh shocked I kinda like to do everything the wrong way then try to fix it. :rolleyes:

There are several members here that know a LOT about ponds, and I'm sure they'll come along and see your questions.

Are you going to build some kind of waterfall with all your rocks? I've started one, but it got winter on me and I had to put it on hold. This is all I have so far...
[Linked Image]
...sorry the picture is dark...it was night time! laugh

Don't forget to take before and after pictures!
We love pictures! grinnnn

Welcome to the forum!

Cindy

#146994 January 14th, 2006 at 11:06 AM
i don't have a pond yet. I just wanted to let you know that if you set your browser to show posts from a couple of months ago, you'll see more posts and how to's. also....look down in the archived section for stuff from this past summer. Good luck with the pond! We love a good success story.

#146995 January 15th, 2006 at 08:44 AM
G
G
Congrats on the new house and on seeing a beautiful pond in your future.

Being in the shade shouldn't have a negative effect on a pond. It will help limit algae and water evaporation for one thing. It will also slow the growth of any water plants you use...as often water plants are almost invasive with the speed in which they multiply.

As far as fish go...your pond needs to be at least 3 feet deep. If the pond is, say, 8 feet long, 4 feet wide and 3 feet deep it will be about 700 gallons. You can hold quite a few goldfish in there (not kois though.) 35-70 common goldies can comfortably live there...although I would suggest starting with half a dozen and letting them fill out the rest of the space...which they will happily do in the spring. wink

You can find various heating appliances such as large capacity fish tank heaters or bird bath heaters, that can keep the fish alive in the winter. If not, then a large rubber maid tub, in a stable temperature, can make a good winter home for them.

Make sure you also treat the water for chloramines/chlorine. Many people mistakenly believe that letting the water sit will allow these to evaporate out. This is true of chlorine because it is volitile and unstable. Chloramine is far more stable, and thus widely used in water treatment plants now. It does not evaporate out ever. You can get a large bottle of pond conditioner at your favorite home repair store for $3-4.

#146996 January 15th, 2006 at 11:05 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
When You get your pond built You can invite Cindy to come and swim in it. She's good at that.

Link Copied to Clipboard