This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#146977 November 15th, 2005 at 10:49 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just wondered what some of your christmas traditons are??? We always have Christmas Crackers at the dinner table...You pull yours open with whoever is sitting next to you and it makes a bang, inside is a paper hat(that you have to wear on your head during dinner--or all night if you are like me), a small toy, and a joke/saying. They're a lot of fun and I wanted to share this with others who are always trying to think of something new and different to include in their own traditions....You can buy them boxed or in singles...We just ordered a box of 12 for this christmas. BTW, the kids LOVE these.....Even now we are all still big kids...We are always trading our little toys amongst ourselves, trying to get something better....and we always tell our jokes to each other while at the table.....They're sort of hard to find around here, that's why we order online.... thumbup And we always have traditional English Pudding for dessert, with custard. Ooo and the Aero bars are really good if you like chocolate....Okay, I'm done....Really these are neat little things though!

english christmas crackers

#146978 November 15th, 2005 at 07:43 PM
Well we have to go visit at Grandmas's at 7pm xmas eve, the first meat pie is only cut for xmas breakfast, xmas dinner at my mothers, xmas supper at inlaws. It's the same routine year after year so I guess you can call it a tradition.

I wish my house was larger I would like to throw a xmas party in the evening but there are too many in the family for my house.

#146979 November 22nd, 2005 at 11:22 AM
Although we are not Christians but Wiccan we still celebrate Yule. We go out into the woods and gather our pinecones-dried seed pods and branches. We decorate the house using natural "finds". We have a traditional meal and exchange gifts which are usually hmemade.

wink

#146980 November 22nd, 2005 at 08:07 PM
One of my Christmas traditions is my kids get to open their gift from me on Christmas Eve, and it's always their new Christmas pajamas! I tried to skip one year and they were so disappointed !

At my mom's house on Christmas Day we do the peppermint pig.

#146981 November 23rd, 2005 at 02:16 AM
Our unique tradition started 9 years ago when we bought our daughter a bread machine for Christmas & I was too cheap to wrap it! I mentioned to Hubby that instead of using up all that wrapping paper on one gift, I was going to set up a "Treasure Hunt" so that she would have to look all over the house, from clue to clue, to find her present. He commented that the Grandchildren might enjoy doing that sort of thing too, so I made up clue cards for everyone! The following year during the Advent season, just about everybody told me (especially the kids...over & over!) that they wanted to do another Treasure Hunt again, for Christmas! So began an activity that has become just as much "tradition" for us, as is attending the Christmas Eve Candlelight service at our church, before our family gift opening party!

Our four kids are all "grown & gone" now, so Christmas Eve is the time we all meet at church, then everyone comes to our house to open gifts from each other & eat pie! This way the kids can spend Christmas day at their respective homes, establishing their own traditions with their youngsters. (and I get the day off, cuz we all gather again for the big dinner... at somebody elses house!) Duh frown & I tell him ,"IT'S A TRADITION!") kissies

I want to be the first to wish you all a very safe & blessed MERRY CHRISTMAS!

#146982 November 25th, 2005 at 06:17 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
One of my Christmas traditions is my kids get to open their gift from me on Christmas Eve, and it's always their new Christmas pajamas!
Mel...We always had that tradition in my family...and when I had a kid I did it, and now Rachel does it with Brennan.
New PJ's on Christmas Eve! thumbup

Patty...I think I'll make Brennan hunt for his present this year! laugh

Cindy Sue

#146983 December 12th, 2005 at 05:34 AM
Every Christmas Eve Ginger and I go get our nails done. Then we make chocolate oatmeal peanut butter cookies for her dad.

#146984 October 12th, 2006 at 07:58 PM
M
M
For Christmas, I always make a couple of loaves of Stollen. It is a German fruit bread covered in confectioners sugar. It's been handed down from my great-grandmother until it got to me.

We have it for breakfast on Christmas morning, toasted with butter. I forgot (truthfully, I procrastinated until there was no time left) one year, and it just didn't seem like Christmas.

#146985 October 13th, 2006 at 12:45 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hey MelonHead,
Youuuuuuuuuu wouldn't happen to have a
recipe for that yummmmmmy soundin' fruit bread
would you..
That sounds really good..

Is it like a Fruit cake we have here??

Verrrrry curious??

#146986 October 17th, 2006 at 09:36 PM
Every since my son was 2 we have a Christmas Day open House.I started because we did not have many family members and I wanted him to be around people and at the time several friends were going through divorces and had nowhere to go..
So 20 years later and with 50 or more visitors on Christmas Day,not all at once,we continue the tradition.

We like it as someone always has a place to go, we always have a few new people every year, last year I met an elderly woman at the grocery store and we got talking,she had no family, she now comes. all young and old.

we eat and share time:-)

#146987 October 20th, 2006 at 01:14 AM
kissies

We usually do the traditional American Christmas, but my favorite is the things we eat for dinner. I love the jello salad, it has 1 can crushed/drained pineapple,1 pkg. dry green jello, 1 container small curd cottage cheese, & 1 container of whipped cream all stirred together. Very yummy, I could eat the whole bowl!We have it at Thanksgiving and Christmas, with the traditional turkey & ham, homemade stuffing, homemade cranberry sauce, and pies, coffee, and tea(and wine!!! muggs ) This is making my mouth water, is it Thanksgiving yet? laugh

#146988 October 20th, 2006 at 05:11 AM
KS kissies Thanks

#146989 October 28th, 2006 at 11:09 PM
I know that many of you out there use and reuse boxes that items come in year after year. It got so we would recognize the boxes and remember gifts that had been given in them from other years. They were exchanged back and forth many many times. When my mom died, my
dad decided it was time to clean out the basement and he got rid of many of the boxes. When Christmas rolled around and he had to BUY boxes for gifts, he understood why Mom kept the boxes!

#146990 October 31st, 2006 at 10:03 PM
Hey, Laura do you remember the selection boxes.(Chocolate yummy) they are still going in England!

#146991 October 31st, 2006 at 11:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We kept and re-used boxes too....last year I threw them all out and this year I'm on a box strike! All the clothing I've bought for people is just getting wrapped in paper! Boxes don't just take up room but they're expensive when you buy a lot of them. So sorry you lost your mother Deb.

KS, the crackers are so much fun! They really are---makes a great Xmas dinner tradition!

Lisa, of course I remember the selection boxes! grinnnn muggs We always got them for Xmas....Of course you can't find that stuff here unless you live in a big city that has an English specialty store, or you could order online but the prices are such a rip off compared to what you'd pay in England. :p

Link Copied to Clipboard