This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#146545 July 14th, 2006 at 08:40 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Letters To Home Day was Tuesday. I just got my first letters.

The first one is a form type letter printed on camp stationary I had bought for him called "Camp Update." It is cute.

Dear Mommy

Camp is is fun I love it.

The food is awesome or maybe he wrote awful I can not read his printing there.

The weather is Nice

My favorite thing at camp is Swimming

See ya soon, Love, Maxi. PS A Letter Two, Look! Love, Maxi

Enclosed was another letter written on ordinary printer paper.

He wrote: Dear Mommy, I'm have fun. Guess what? Sunday the longest (can't read the word here). We had turkey for dinner on Sunday. Tuesday we are going camping. Yes, well, I hope you have fun. Say hi from Maxi to Billy. Love, Maxi. PS. Monday should be very fun, too. I hope a made a Beginner in swimming. PSS send a camera, ples. Love Maxi xoxoxoxoxoxox he finishes that letter with a drawn smiley.

The word I can't read is s-o-l-e-x or y and I have no idea what he means. His spelling can be rather creative since he spells often as they sound and since his speech is different, so is his spelling! I get a kick out of seeing his way of spelling "please" -- "ples".

#146546 July 14th, 2006 at 09:25 AM
Too cute Merme! So nice to know he is having fun! thumbup I love it when kids spell...too cute! clp clp

#146547 July 14th, 2006 at 09:30 AM
Merme! How fun to read that! what a little cutie!
Sounds like he is having fun! It is always so neat to hear or read children express themselves!
Enjoyed that..Hope you are well merme..
And look forward to more on maxi:-)

#146548 July 14th, 2006 at 09:36 AM
Great letters Merme!

#146549 July 14th, 2006 at 09:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Merme, they are great letters....I just love reading letters from children....a few years ago my nana in England gave me back the letters I wrote her as a child after we moved over here because she was scared that when she passes they'd get thrown away. It was so funny to read how I worded things back then...and the pictures I put in there.

I'm so glad you got them, I'm sure it makes you feel a little closer to him while he's away.

#146550 July 14th, 2006 at 10:52 AM
Great letters from Maxie. thumbup Kids are so cute. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to more. clp Sue

#146551 July 15th, 2006 at 03:26 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Bestofour sent Maxi something very neat. It arrived in yesterday's mail and I am going to send it up to him at camp.

It is the perfect little something for a kid like him... a coloring, activity and information book on agriculture in North Carolina! The coloring pages are very well drawn, it is loaded with cool information he will enjoy... how many tomatoes does it take to make a 25 oz can of spaghetti sauce?... and lots of games and puzzles.

Since he is so resistant to the mandatory "quiet time" every day at 3 PM, I know he will enjoy having a book like this to go through.

Thanks, Sheri!

Merme

#146552 July 15th, 2006 at 03:42 AM
Sounds like he is having the best time there!!!

#146553 July 15th, 2006 at 12:14 PM
Maxi is a fortunate little man. You're a good mother, Merme.

#146554 July 16th, 2006 at 03:23 PM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
My sister, Wildwood flower, also got a letter from Maxi today. Along with the camp stationary form letter, he added another piece of paper which read "Please call my mom and tell her to send me batteries for the red flashlight!"

So she called to tell me to send batteries for the red flashlight! Now,if I can only remember what size batteries that thing takes!

Merme

#146555 July 16th, 2006 at 03:29 PM
Oh dear Merme. Bet it is hard to keep track of all that stuff.

#146556 July 17th, 2006 at 04:27 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Battery Crisis Resolved!

Very early this morning I remembered the red flashlight takes C batteries; it is the yellow one that takes the D.

Realizing that he had written Wildwood flower some days ago about having dead batteries, I emailed my girlfriend who lives 5 miles from his camp and asked if she could run some batteries over for him?

She did. And the Camp Director told her and Maxi that they keep spares on hand for just such a "crisis" and in the future, he only needed to come to the office for help... not send a forlorn letter to PA to have someone call Mom in ME to email someone up north to...

laugh laugh laugh

The ones I will mail him will arrive to be good backups. I can't believe I forgot to pack them for him after filling the flashlight!

*insert head-smacking graemlin here*

Merme

#146557 July 23rd, 2006 at 02:27 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
My friend Jane is taking Maxi out on Visiting Day today. He is especially looking forward to it since his dad didn't go up last week.

Jane lives near the camp and knows the area well. She called yesterday to ask permission for her plans.

Depending on the weather, they will...

go miniature golfing,
go sailing on the bay,
see a movie,
have lunch,
drive to the top of Mt. Batte for the superior view
and if there is time, hit the beach.

She is going to bring one tired butt kid back to camp by the end of the day! He'll be grateful to fall into his bunk tonight.

And I, I get to see him next Saturday for the trip home. I miss the little guy bopping around, being so noisy and helpful.

Merme

#146558 July 23rd, 2006 at 02:31 AM
He is going to be tired when he gets back from his day trip...but you know when they come back exhausted..they have had a great time.
I would be so excited to see him too Merme, you will have a great reunion next weekend!!

#146559 July 23rd, 2006 at 02:53 AM
kissies

#146560 July 23rd, 2006 at 03:29 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
flw I JUST TALKED TO MAXI! flw

Jane stopped by her house to toss his laundry in the washer and give him a chance to call me before getting their adventures underway!

I couldn't believe it when I picked up the phone and there he was! "Hi Mom!"

Let's see... he said he is having a GREAT time!

Last week's theme was Water Days. And it was all about the fun to be had in, on, and around the lake.

This week's theme is Christmas In July and Maxi will again perform in his cabin drama and there will be a visit from Santa with stockings filled with treats left on each bunk.

Next week it is something about Pirates. Pirates seem to be a big hit with the kiddos.

He sounded so good on the phone, so good. Before we got off, he asked me to sing his favorite Night-night song "Rock A My Baby" -- the version I wrote for him when he was small. Even now, it is his favorite.

Now he is off and running! Movies! Lunch! Touring the waterfront in the fog! See you next week! Love you!

What a kid. I am sitting here grinning from ear to ear.

Merme

#146561 July 23rd, 2006 at 03:30 AM
thumbup thumbup grinnnn
So good to hear that he is happy and more importantly...so are you Merme!

#146562 July 23rd, 2006 at 03:35 AM
Merme,
What a wonderful day trip for Maxi and a suprise for Mom to boot- I bet you do miss him terribly-- but enjoy your quiet time too!
Nana

#146563 July 23rd, 2006 at 11:13 AM
Merme, so glad your puter is up and running!!!. Thanks for the up date on Maxie's Camp Days. Jane must be a special person to do something like that for you and Maxie. Keep the stories coming. I just love to read about you two. clp cool Sue

#146564 July 24th, 2006 at 07:27 AM
Merme, What a great call for you! You have great friends who are so willing to be helpful to Maxi and get him away from camp for a fun filled day. What a summer he is having!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard