This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#146520 July 10th, 2006 at 03:50 PM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi everyone ~

Just wanted to let you all know Maxi was safely delivered to his camp up north today early in the afternoon.

We had a marvelous trip up. The weather was glorious, with a freshening breeze and low humidity. Surprisingly, the traffic was LIGHT and it is usually frustratingly heavy on that route.

We made the journey in a leisurely way, stopping at a favorite rest area by a lake for a picnic lunch, lingering under the big maple tree for a long time, just talking and enjoying the outdoors.

I even walked around a bit, going carefully over a grassy area and then making my way along an uneven sidewalk with Maxi holding my hand.

We were all so delighted that this was the first time I have ever made that trip without being sick the entire way. Yet today I was truly well!

We arrived at camp a bit early for registration, so Maxi showed Rich all around the place while we waited. When registration began, the Director greeted me with "Mary-El, for a woman who has been through all that you have been through lately, you look GREAT!" They were glad to see us both back again.

While Maxi was up at his cabin unpacking and changing into his swim trunks for the mandatory swim test that must be accomplished first thing, the Assistant Director took me aside for private conversation.

She wanted me to know that they gave extra consideration in Maxi's cabin placement this year because they wanted to provide him some additional nurturing and support. By reassigning him to the same cabin he had last year instead of promoting him to the next one, he was able to keep a counselor he is very fond of and be among boys of similar personalities to his own. He is in a kindly group of gentle kids who all get on very well together.

They are carefully looking out for my little guy who got a bit nervous upon arrival and asked me "is it too late to change my mind, Mommy?" But as soon as he got out of the car, he was all set and thrilled to be there again.

I got him a cool gadget as his going-away-to-camp surprise gift. It is a tiny flashlight worn on the finger, like a ring. It sends a beam 1/4 miles away and also has two flashing modes! He thought that was really neat!!

Rich and I reluctantly left as Maxi made his way down to the lake for his swim test. We took our time on the drive home and it was the nicest day I've had in ages.

To be out of the house, being well, enjoying the beautiful weather, seeing my son so happy, feeling carefree and unworried about a thing was marvelous through and through.

I got back home around six because Rich surprised me with a spontaneous dream come true: he took me shopping in a legendary store I have wanted to visit for the 13 years I have lived in Maine and never before had the chance!

We had a ball, and took our time looking over every single item in the huge place. And we each bought a memento of our historic visit there. AND I got Maxi a little something to mail to him tomorrow in my first letter up.

Maxi sang songs and played games in the back of the car the whole way up, asking about 18 million times "are we there yet?" or "is this Canada?" And for some unknown reason, he kept asking me "tell me about WWII, Mommy." or "tell me about the Inquisition, Mommy." or "tell me about Colonial times." I finally said "What, am I a talking encyclopedia?" and he got into a fit of giggles.

As my mom would have said, my kid was on "fool's hill" today with happiness. It was very fun to see.

At one point, I said to Rich "What an odd child I have!" and he said "oh? and it has taken you 10 years to figure that out? and this surprises you how? and what's that about acorns not falling far from the tree?" Then it was my turn to laugh.

So Day One of Maxi's Great Camp Adventure 2006 got off to a wondrous start, and I'm so pleased in every respect.

I'll let you all know what he has to say when I hear from him later this week. Tuesday is Letters To Home Day, so I'll be waiting for the mail soon after.

Merme

#146521 July 10th, 2006 at 03:59 PM
so glad Maxi is having a good time. smile

#146522 July 10th, 2006 at 04:01 PM
Merme, I am so happy you had such a good day and Maxi got off to camp happy and safe. What a wonderful time you and Rich had as well. He must truely be an awesome guy! Lucky you to have such a good friend!

#146523 July 10th, 2006 at 04:17 PM
Merme, so glad you, Maxie, and Rich had such a fun day. Looking forward to the up-dates of Maxies days at camp. Hugs. Sue

#146524 July 11th, 2006 at 12:09 AM
That sounds like a wonderful day? Was the legendary store LLBean by any chance?

"I got him a cool gadget as his going-away-to-camp surprise gift. It is a tiny flashlight worn on the finger, like a ring. It sends a beam 1/4 miles away and also has two flashing modes! He thought that was really neat!!"

I want one!!

#146525 July 11th, 2006 at 12:18 AM
Merme,

I am SO glad Maxi got off to camp on a good note and that you were able to enjoy the trip as well! Sounds like everyone involved had a wonderful day! thumbup

#146526 July 11th, 2006 at 12:28 AM
I am happy for both of you Merme .. Sounds like you had just a wonderful day..And Maxi is off to a wonderful new adventure!!

#146527 July 11th, 2006 at 12:30 AM
Thats so great to hear Merme, and i hope he has the best time. thumbup thumbup thumbup

#146528 July 11th, 2006 at 01:42 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by Wrennie:
Was the legendary store LLBean by any chance?
Nah. I wouldn't have lived here for 13 years practically next door to Beans without stopping in long before now! Beans is a regular adventure and man dear, it is the neatest place!

The legendary store I was referring to is a quirky place called Big Al's Odd Lots in Wiscasset. You can't even visit Maine without hearing about it from Big Al himself.

He has these great TV ads that depict himself walking around his huge, very clean, very orderly store talking of all the fun and great values to be had at his place. He is a giant of a guy and seems as nice as can be in the ads, telling about free coffee or tea to every shopper and a free gift. The ads just make ya wanna go right on over!

And I am teiing ya, we were not the least bit disappointed. The place is really big but so neat and orderly! No messes, no damaged merchandize, every single item "front & faced". He has a small army of employees wearing aprons so you know who they are, diligently working. They do not wait to be asked questions. If they see you looking confused, THEY ask YOU if you need help!

And there was Big Al himself, walking all over the store, chatting away with customers, being nice to his staff. A genuinely good guy. So of course, we had to stop for conversation with him.

I told him of my 13 year dream of shopping there and what fun I was having, and he turned to Rich and shook his hand saying "Thank you for bringing her! Now you get TWO free gifts!" Then he bent down toward me, flung his arms wide and said "I'm so glad you are having fun!"

It was a BLAST!

and the bargains were unbelieveable. If I had had a spec of extra money on me, I would have bought something for every single person I know. For $20 to $50 you could come out of there with your car loaded with loot!

I got a lifelong dream for $1.88

I got him a cool gadget as his going-away-to-camp surprise gift. It is a tiny flashlight worn on the finger, like a ring. It sends a beam 1/4 miles away and also has two flashing modes! He thought that was really neat!!" I want one!
THAT I got at my local grocery store that sells all kinds of small items near check out that tourists are especially fond of. Little mementos of their visit to our town. Impulse shopping at its finest!

Merme

#146529 July 11th, 2006 at 02:29 AM
i may have to find a distributor that carries those little lights.
Big Al sounds like a blast! [Linked Image]

#146530 July 11th, 2006 at 02:32 AM
Merme

I am sure it was hard to leave maxi, but he will have so much fun...sounds like it was off to a great start.How are you doing? I cannot wait for you to share letter day home.
Angie

#146531 July 11th, 2006 at 02:43 AM
Merme,
So glad you had a wonderful time taking Maxi to camp and best of all stayed well... prayers have been answered !
That store sounds like a wonderful place to go - I am going to save my $ for a trip to see you - may take me a while- but I am going to get there....
Looking fwd to hearing more about Maxi's adventures at camp too- how is your porch garden doing? My flowers are about rained out right now- we had 5 days of rain every day- but right now sun is out so have to go errand running this morning before it comes back.....
Nana

#146532 July 11th, 2006 at 05:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm glad everything is well with Maxi and his camping trip....that he got there safe and sound, and that they are taking extra considerations for him. thumbup

I NEED to go to that store! Tell him to open one up in MD! laugh I have a feeling I'd go broke in there, but come out with 2 carfuls of stuff for peanuts! laugh

#146533 July 11th, 2006 at 06:01 AM
Sounds like quite the store...we have one in Toronto called Honest Ed's and its cheap stuff too and huge, the store takes up a whole block.
You can go there and get breakfast for $2.50, and at the holidays he gives away free turkeys, and things like that.
It was nice to hear that you had a great time Merme!

#146534 July 11th, 2006 at 06:12 AM
Merme, That sounds like so much fun! What a wonderful trip for you!

#146535 July 11th, 2006 at 07:24 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
For those of you who have never been to LLBean, let me tell you it is also a marvelous place.

The floors are rather beautiful; they look antique and are of hardwood and immaculately polished. There is a pond with fish inside and benches, so you can sit and drink your free coffee and watch the fish or other shoppers go by 24 hours a day.

Plus the store has all manner of really wonderful things that aren't listed in the catalogs. Whenever I go there, I find the best stuff for Maxi that you can't find anywhere else, ever.

When he was really small, I wanted to get him one of those Hobby Horses to ride... you know, the horse head on the stick? Well, that Christmas I saw one at Beans, except it was a Hobby Moose!

So I bought it for him. I have pictures of him as a baby dressed up like King Arthur, riding his Hobby Moose from LLBeans. We still have it hanging on a wall in our home.

If any of you ever make it to Maine, you really should put a visit to Beans on your agenda. Even if you don't buy anything there (I double dog dare ya to try not to!) it is so worthwhile just to walk through. They even have an indoor climbing wall for kids.

Plus, the town of Freeport, where Beans is located, is a lovely area and very pleasant for walking, seeing the sights and finding nice places to eat and to shop.

You'd so enjoy it.

Merme

#146536 July 11th, 2006 at 07:27 AM
I have ordered a few things from them in the past but have never been there...it sounds wonderful there!! I just love their clothes they have..i couldnt go in and NOT come out with somthing..so i wont take that dare Merme because i know i would fail laugh laugh laugh

#146537 July 11th, 2006 at 07:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've been in an LL Bean outlet store before! Not as fancy, but you gotta love the outlet prices. thumbup

#146538 July 11th, 2006 at 09:21 AM
Snow Bunny
Snow Bunny
I ordered from the LLBean catalog before but I am a leetle far away to shop there!! And I have sort of a shopping aversion anyway. Maybe big Al or Ed's places could lure me in tho....??

Hoping Maxi has a great time at camp....looking forward to the updates smile

#146539 July 11th, 2006 at 11:23 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
If anyone would like to send Maxi a card at camp, just pm me for the address.

Please remember that he does NOT read cursive yet. And also, use your screen name and mention the Garden Helper as that is how he knows you all.

Merme

#146540 July 11th, 2006 at 02:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
how long is he there for? 2 weeks? will you pm me his address, and i'll try to get something in the mail for him. he should remember me from the card game.

#146541 July 11th, 2006 at 02:58 PM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Maxi will be at camp THREE weeks, and will be returning home July 29th.

Jiffy, he remembers you well -- we also have you on our voice mail identifying yourself as "Jiffymouse, the voice of the Garden Helper" and for a long time he thought that is what the forum sounds like!

Our pc didn't have a sound card for the longest time, so we never got to hear anything and he didn't realize that some sites do not have sounds. He thought all the posts sounded like you!

Merme

#146542 July 13th, 2006 at 08:03 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
afgrey ~

The Yu-Gi-Oh! stickers you sent Maxi arrived safely tucked into my card in yesterday's mail but I couldn't get anyone to go to the box for me until this morning.

I will be sending them up to him at camp 'coz I know he will be thrilled to pieces by them.

Thank you!

Merme

#146543 July 13th, 2006 at 09:01 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
"Jiffymouse, the voice of the Garden Helper" and for a long time he thought that is what the forum sounds like!
That is TOO funny! laugh

You're welcome for the stickers, Merme.
kissies

#146544 July 13th, 2006 at 09:17 AM
So glad to hear you had a good time Merme, waiting to hear of Maxi's adventures also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard