This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#14624 November 16th, 2003 at 02:24 AM
Cris Offline OP
OP Offline
I am fairly new to houseplants. Usually I kill the poor things before they start. I have 2 spider plants that someone started from plantletts and I have tended and nursed these plants for almost 2 years. Last July, I cooked them in direct sunlight and thought I had killed them, thank you all for encouraging me. These 2 plants now have tons of new growth and their babies are now having babies while still being on the first plant. I also have a dish garden, but I am looking for some new plants. I like to fuss with my plants, so that is not a problem. I like green leafy plants and they are in a room that is mostly windows facing north and east. Any suggestions? Thanks

#14625 November 16th, 2003 at 07:10 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
wavey Hi Cris, wavey
I'm sure you'll get alot of responses!!
There's alot of people who grow
house plants here!!!
One question though,
do you like smaller plants or bigger plants?

Weezie

Not to change the subject,
but how's your weather up/over there?
Did you loose any electricity when the
last storm went through??
Just curious!

#14626 November 16th, 2003 at 03:15 PM
T
T
Originally posted by Cris:
I am fairly new to houseplants. Usually I kill the poor things before they start. I have 2 spider plants that someone started from plantletts and I have tended and nursed these plants for almost 2 years. Last July, I cooked them in direct sunlight and thought I had killed them, thank you all for encouraging me. These 2 plants now have tons of new growth and their babies are now having babies while still being on the first plant. I also have a dish garden, but I am looking for some new plants. I like to fuss with my plants, so that is not a problem. I like green leafy plants and they are in a room that is mostly windows facing north and east. Any suggestions? Thanks
Well, these are fairly fuss free but here goes anyway:

Chinese evergreen
ZZ plant
Phal orchids
Coleus
Parlor palm
Christmas/Easter/Thanksgiving cactus

Those are some of the plants I grow.

I also grow:

Jades
Kalanchoes
Dendrobium orchids
Pothos

Tom

#14627 November 16th, 2003 at 07:29 PM
Cris Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the information-I am located in the thumb region of Michigan and the weather gets pretty crappy here. We did not lose power during the last windstorm although towns around us did. I like smaller plants and like leafy plants. I will check out the suggestions. Thanks!

#14628 November 17th, 2003 at 05:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How about a ming aralia, a Dracaena marginata, or a Rhapis palm?

#14629 November 17th, 2003 at 03:16 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Cris,
I think your weather is like ours here
in the Buffalo area, same sides of the
water blowing on us does it.
It blows over the water and gets funky when it
hits land. Lot's of LES because of it.
I see it on the weather maps when we're getting hit or about to be hit, you're area's gotten or getting it....
Keep warm and keep us posted as to what you get..

I liked Jades, rabbit foots....I had rubber trees and one other one I didn't know the name but I still have it, and the leaves are huge and have side shoots that look for water. Umbrella plant I always called it. But those are both BIG

Let us know what you get!
Weezie

#14630 November 18th, 2003 at 01:54 AM
Originally posted by weezie13:
one other one I didn't know the name but I still have it, and the leaves are huge and have side shoots that look for water. Umbrella plant I always called it.
Weezie, is this what your "unnamed" plant looks like? [Linked Image]
Monstera deliciosa "Swiss Cheese plant"

Just a guess...

Nikkal

#14631 November 18th, 2003 at 03:43 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Nikkal,
That's the size of the leaf,
but no slits up the sides of
the leaf....
One big leaf in the same shape.
The tendrals out the side I
know look for water, and I"ve seen the
stem with the water feeders a good ways up.
Thanks for looking for me!
That's very nice of you!!
Weezie

#14632 February 22nd, 2004 at 03:43 AM
B
B
Hmmm, I love lucky bamboo because it looks like real bamboo (in fact it's not bamboo at all) and is apparently considerably easier to care for. Mine has alot of leaves and are quite bushy, however I've seen others that look like pathetic little sticks. Don't ask me what I did because I have no idea. I suggest you experiment with them, it could be fun and if you like to fuss over them you can try a nember of things including various pots, trying soil as an alterinative to water and so on. Good luck!

#14633 February 22nd, 2004 at 05:14 AM
A
A
Weezie, I would think you probably have some type of philodendron. They are very closly related to the monsteras(swiss cheese plant) and they can grow up to 60 meters in the wild up the sides of trees by meens of aerial roots(thats if they atach to things by which they can climb higher up)! Does it have somewhat hart shaped leaves? Another guess is Syngonium. That's the only other big leaved plant with aerial roots I know of.

cris, I think you'd realy like some plants of the bromellad family. Other sugestions:
Breyenia(red stems and white leaves dark geen spots)
Coccoloba(very neat and somewhat unique)
Maranta family(6 inch colourful paterned leaves and it doesn't grow more then 8 inches high)
Pellionia
Trailing types of peperomia
Pilea(short bushy highly paterned leaves)
Sonerila(another bushy plant 3inch leaves)
And also you could just air layer dieffenbackia(dumb cane) and dracaenas when ever they get too big for you.
Seems it's been a while so I don't know if you'll read this or already have a whole new bach of plants already But hope it helps.

Link Copied to Clipboard