This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#145850 December 31st, 2005 at 07:25 AM
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
How's it going Merme? Find anything promising yet? Duh

#145851 December 31st, 2005 at 07:44 AM
Hi Barley ~

Here is my post about it from Coffeehouse 198...

Hi everyone ~

This morning we continued the Great Apartment Hunt and I believe we have landed us a nice one!

It is still in our little town, but on the other side, about 1 1/2 miles up a country road, not far from Maxi's schools. In recent years they've been building all along this road, putting in small complexes of apt and condos, each one set back into the woods, to keep the area nice.

The complex we looked at today is only 2 1/2 years old. There are about eight buildings, each with 8 units. The one I want is on the first floor, in the front of the building.

It has a nice large porch. When you enter, you are on a tiled area -- very nice for coming in with wet feet! Straight ahead is a big closet for coats, boots and backpacks!

If you turn to the right you are facing the living room. It has a hardwood type floor. Directly to the right is a large sliding glass door leading out to the porch. The living room is smaller than what we have now, but nice.

Straight ahead through the living room is the kitchen/dinette area. The back wall and wall along the right is for the handsome refrigerator, stove (with self-cleaning oven) all the counter space with upper and lower cabinets, a dishwasher. The upper cabinets all have underneath lights that can work together or be used individually and each has three settings for brightness.

Also on the rear wall, to the left of the refrigerator, is a large area behind bifold doors for a washer/dryer combination to be hooked up.

Also to the left of the kitchen, in front of where the laundry area is, is the dinette section with a small chandilier. Our smaller table will fit well there. There is also another door on that side of the room that opens to a very large storage closet, you know the kind that fits under a stairway.

So to the right of the kitchen/living room is the hallway to the bath and bedrooms. The bathroom is about twice the size of the one we now have. Maxi's room will be the one nearest the bathroom, to the rear of the apt.

His room is twice as wide as his room here and has two large windows. There is a ceiling light fixture with a fan. One wall is two big closets side by side.

My room is to the front of the apt next to the living room. It is a bit smaller than the room I have here but it has a closet which I do not have here. It also has threee nice windows.

All the rooms are wired for cable and phone, so whereever we decide to put the TV and computer would be okay. There are not just smoke alarms but also sprinklers throughout.

The entire apt is MUCH smaller than what we have now, but it is all so NICE and clean and modern -- very convenient and so easy to care for! -- that I think the lesser amount of space will not be an issue for us.

The rent is only $795, down from the $1227 we pay here. And although it is new construction and doesn't have the "personality" of an older building, I think it is exactly what we need.

When I explained to the realtor that having a neighborhood for Maxi was important because he's had no playmates for the past three years, the guy laughed. He said most days the complex resembles a day care center! LOTS of kids; and plenty in Maxi's age group. There is a bike trail built down in the back all the kids use and a nice bit of woods to go romping in.

There are three steps up to the porch which I think I will be able to handle on most days.

I like the idea of being able to live more independently. When I stood up in the kitchen, I was able to reach the top shelves in all the uppers. Here I can't do that and most people need a step stool to reach. I sat down and tried out the stove buttons and oven door... all within my reach. Having a full-size washer/dryer permanently hooked up rather than these mini ones I have to have someone pull out and hook up to the sink will be nice! And, I won't have to open my back door to the basement to use the dryer!!

So tomorrow I have to turn in the application with supporting documents for ID and proof of income. He said he would have the credit check completed by Tuesday since Monday is a holiday and would be able to let me know.

If I am approved, there will be some paperwork to file with housing and the place will need inspected. I know it will pass with ease.

So let's keep everything crossed we possibly can that I get approved quickly and that all the paperwork gets done without a hitch.

A friend from church who is an agent with a large insurance company is being one of my references and my priest is being the other, so that should be helpful too.

Merme

#145852 December 31st, 2005 at 07:47 AM
Here's another post from CH 198...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by JV:
Merme that sounds high to me also. For that kinda money here you woudl get a real nice townhouse. From people I talk to (I havent rented in over 20 year) average two bedroom here goes from around $450 to $650.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are right, of course. Rentals are much more reasonable in other parts of the state. But keep in mind that I live in a coastal resort town and everything is MUCH higher here.

In fact, even finding a year-round rental is nearly impossible. The owners all know that if they DON'T rent their properties year round to one tenant, they will make way lots more money.

So... they do "winter rentals" from September to May. Then, they toss out the winter people and open the place for summer visitors.

During the summer season, they can get between $1,000 and $2,000 (and more) PER WEEK for the unit, and that is too big a pile of $$$ to pass up.

However, some owners don't want to deal with the hassle of renting by the week or month during the summer, having so many people in and out, so they will opt for a year-round lease just because it is easier even if less cash.

Then there are those who earn so much in season that they don't even bother with winter rentals at all... they just shut up their properties each September and leave them vacant til May.

Keep in mind that as a person on a fixed income, I can NOT afford the better properties in the area... anyone with a decent income would NOT have moved in to where I live now, so don't let the $1227 fool you into thinking it must be pretty darn nice. It ain't.

I'm telling ya, though, JV, the two years I lived in Tulsa, my Ex and I had a splendid, splendid deluxe extraordinaire apartment for mere pennies compared to anything you could rent in the East...

Merme

#145853 December 31st, 2005 at 07:47 AM
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
Sorry I missed it in the coffeehouse. They move so fast these days! shocked

That sounds like it is so nice. I hope it all works out for you! grinnnn

#145854 December 31st, 2005 at 07:50 AM
Hey Merme, long time no talk too. Glad you're having luck on your new home. JV, you guys are fortunate that you have cheap rents in Texas.

#145855 December 31st, 2005 at 07:51 AM
Oh, and here's one from CH 199...

Tina ~ One of the things I noticed immediately about the potential new apt is the long porch that will get loads of sunlight. There are already sturdy hooks in the ceiling for hanging baskets, and a nice wide, very solidly built rail for windowboxes and of course, I'm crazy about container gardening. Maxi was disappointed to see that there is no place for his big vegetable garden, but I told him we could look around for perhaps a community garden for him to use.

I will not request a ramp because the stairs are so few and so shallow. Plus it feeds directly onto a community sidewalk and with the angle of the porch and the height involved, a ramp would be a big, complex affair -- unsightly and not very handy.

I am strong enough now to manage a few stairs at a time.

And yesterday, with all the snow/ice underfoot, I did really well walking about the places we went to see. Of course, I was wearing my boots with the superdeathgrip treads -- although they are PINK suede with pom poms, they are Serious Boots when you need a good grip.

And today I also did well except for twice because the rain on top of the old snow/ice caused me to hydroplane. My Ex's girlfriend took my arm and got me stable and stopped from the glide I was in. Then I just stood still (well, as still as possible!) while she brought the car around.

Merme

#145856 December 31st, 2005 at 08:25 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
I don't rent but wuhat I see around here is not cheap. Last apt Billie and I rented was $150.00 for a three bedroom two bath with an Island kitchen.
Jimmy

#145857 January 3rd, 2006 at 02:48 AM
Wow, I cannot believe those rental prices. Around here rent is about 400 a month with all commodities included. Mind you I live in booneyland. lol. Good luck Merme.

#145858 January 3rd, 2006 at 12:28 PM
Rents fluctuate so much from place to place that it's hard to imagine how high they can be in the Northeast but they are mind-boggling up there. When my sister was having an addition put on her home in NJ so my parents could move in with them she had to pay $2300 a month for 2 bedrooms in order to stay close enough to the kids school, and still had a 20-30 minute drive.

Merme - the place sounds terrific and I hope you get it. If at some point you needed the ramp is it possible to get one? Is there a back or side door that it could go to without blocking the walk out front?

FYI - rents in Quincy MA which isn't too far south of you are averaging $850 for a one bedroom.

#145859 January 4th, 2006 at 04:37 AM
Ok... should I be REALLY nervous now?

When I spoke to the realtor on Friday he said he'd definitely know by Tuesday.

When I called him this morning, he said he'd know by 1:30 or 2:00.

I gave him 'til 3:30 and called. He isn't in the office, but he's supposed to be back later on today. I left him a message.

Merme

#145860 January 4th, 2006 at 04:46 AM
Oh, Merme - I just HATE that for you!!! kissies
I know just how you feel - it's soooo un-nerving!
Still keeping everything crossed!!!

#145861 January 4th, 2006 at 08:34 AM
Goodness Merme, how frustrating. Have you heard anything yet?

#145862 January 4th, 2006 at 08:58 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Anything YET??????????????????? Duh lala

#145863 January 4th, 2006 at 09:08 AM
Not a word. And oh man, I am stressing!

Thanks guys, I appreciate you so!

Merme

#145864 January 4th, 2006 at 09:34 AM
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
Well, a big :p to him for not letting you know!

#145865 January 4th, 2006 at 09:48 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I second Barley's reply!!!

#145866 January 4th, 2006 at 11:25 AM
Oh, Merme... I was sooooo hoping that when I came back to the computer after dinner you would have posted great news.

Everything is STILL crossed!!!

#145867 January 4th, 2006 at 11:52 AM
That is awful that he could not give you a call to at least let you know he did not know anything yet.

#145868 January 4th, 2006 at 08:34 PM
Worse, since everyone knows I expected to hear yesterday, I got flooded with phone calls and emails asking what news?

It was hard to have to explain ten million times or so... still waiting to hear!

Well, I do want a definitive answer today!

I have friends coming later this morning to help with the packing...

Merme

#145869 January 4th, 2006 at 08:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Keeping my fingers crossed(and everything else I can cross)that you hear something today thumbup

#145870 January 4th, 2006 at 08:38 PM
THANKS! kissies

Merme

#145871 January 6th, 2006 at 12:39 AM
I GOT IT, I GOT IT, I GOT IT!!!!

Just wanted to let you all know that I got the apt this morning!

The realtor said he had "some trouble" with my credit history. I said I had known he would. Then he said he spoke with both of my previous landlords plus the housing agency and he said "They all love you to death! So I'm going to risk it and rent to you!"

And, truly, the only thing of concern to him is whether or not I pay my rent on time and in full without fail. I ALWAYS do that!

What bad debts I have were all generated around the time of the divorce and he also said he was familiar with that.

OH! And he said he believes we can expedite the paperwork with housing so I can move in the weekend of the 15th and not have to wait until the 28th.

Oh man, I will so love being out of here!

Thanks everyone, for your prayers and support!

Merme

#145872 January 6th, 2006 at 12:44 AM
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
Congrats, Merme! grinnnn

#145873 January 6th, 2006 at 12:46 AM
I'm so happy for you.
I know you have help with packing but are there people to help with the actual move?
And how long do you think you'll be out of contact with us, here? We'll worry, you know.
~Tina

#145874 January 6th, 2006 at 12:51 AM
Tina ~ I am going to hire a local moving company. They are really good although their newspaper ad only reads "Two guys and a truck"! They are fair in terms of rates, they are fast, and most importantly, they are reliable and CAREFUL!!

I will not have computer access for about a week. My computer guy intends to dismantle this one, take it to his shop and do it's maintanence and any upgrades needed and then just bring it to the new place and reinstall it there.

And Barley ~ YES! It is WONDERFUL to have peace of mind again! Just this morning I was bewailing the fact that we could end up in a motel if this deal didn't go through. G-mom held my hand through that bit of despair. So you know I am now feeling MUCH better.

Now, if we can just hear from Vanessa tomorrow that all is well with them, too....

Merme

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard