This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#145301 November 5th, 2005 at 09:07 AM
OP Offline
I have access to a couple of tons of tons of cedar shavings, but I am not sure if this would be good in the garden.

I have a couple of tons of maple shavings I am using now.

#145302 November 5th, 2005 at 12:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
cedar shavings are good. one good thing about them is that they repel bugs. i use them in my dog's house. but they are ok for the flower beds too as mulch. did that when i cut down a cedar tree that was growing too close to the house. the flower bed didn't mind at all.

#145303 November 5th, 2005 at 12:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
one thought, just remember, they are wood shavings so if you want to turn them into the soil, you need to compost them first as they will suck nitrogen out while they are decomposing. but if you just put them on top as a top dressing/mulch, they are great!

#145304 February 9th, 2006 at 05:42 AM
D
dbb Offline
D
Sorry for the late reply but just read vour query on wood shavings.
Jiffymouse is right in saying that you need to compost them first because they deplete the soil of nitrogen. On my first large veggie plot I dug bags and bags of shavings (mixture of soft and hardwoods from a friends woodshop) into the ground and found that they didn't rot down very well at all. I think they need to be aerated in the compost heap or they turn into a soggy mess.
Keep on using them though as it would be a shame to condemn them to the landfill site.

Link Copied to Clipboard