This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#144577 July 13th, 2006 at 03:20 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Have you tried PM'ing Iowa?????

#144578 July 13th, 2006 at 03:29 AM
OP Offline
My aster is purple if I ever get it revived. I do water it most evenings when it's this hot. This is a horrible spot to get anything to grow in so I'm lucky to have 3 of 5 left. Of course next spring they might decide to make a comeback for me. My fingers are crossed. plants are NOT cheap!

#144579 July 13th, 2006 at 04:10 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
That's why I grow the one's that don't need much
help..
I've got oethenara's *yellow sundrops*, grecian windflower bulbs, snow drops bulbs *spring time*,
Hollyhocks *they reseed*, LUPINES reseed prolifically*, euphorbia's, purple alliums, walking/nodding alliums, COLUMBINES reseed prolifically, hens~n~chicks, assorted sedums, and some more...
but I hardly EVER water that bed, and they grow...just rain..(of course now, I might get more than you do here, but that bed is almost half under pine trees, and so it is hot and dry most of the time)
So, those are the tried and true survivers' here.

#144580 July 13th, 2006 at 04:15 AM
OP Offline
I didn't even think about moving some hens and chics back there. I have a ton of them and they went crazy this year. A lot of the bigger ones ahve 2 towers coming out of them! I have to keep cutting them off or they'll topple themselves over. What do you do with them when the grow "up"? I just toss them but if they're good for replanting or anything, let me know!
My healthiest plant on the whole place (besides the weeds!) is a yucca plant that I have dug out twice now but it keeps coming back! Now it's just going to stay and I'll learn NOT to weed too close to it with my bare hands. I have creeping jenny that grows up amongst it and I'm always slicing myself open when I try to pull them out. I just can't walk past it without trying to pull some out of there! They're the most detested weed and almost impossible to get rid of.

#144581 July 13th, 2006 at 04:35 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
The hens~n~chicks when they tower up like that are making flowers..
It will flower for a bit, then die... and will make more babies on the sides eventually..

Yucca's are very drought tolerant..

Is this the Creeping Jenny you're talking about??
I actually let that stuff grow..
I sometimes pull hunks of it, and put it in a hanging pot that holds some water..
It makes a pretty hanging basket when in full bloom!
If you make your soil so fertile, it will pull otu sooooooo much easier... and sometimes some plants can't stand the soil to be soooo rich in nutrients...*although, if it's the one above, they don't mind it* but if you put alot of manure down *the aged kind* it makes the soil very pliable and they pull out so easy, cause their roots can't hand on..

#144582 July 13th, 2006 at 04:49 AM
OP Offline
what we have is different. It's a vine that will cover an entire yard and it's got white flowers on it. It will choke off your plants, evergreens and other plants. I tried to find a pic on the net but all i found was like yours. I do have my camera with me today but have no idea how to post a pic!

#144583 July 13th, 2006 at 05:20 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Take the picture, put it on your picture place
(or open a free account at www.photobucket.com)
and put your picture there.. then copy the URL from that picture..
Come back here, CLICK ON THE FULL REPLY FORM, and find the two columns under options,
click on the last one, IMAGE,
there'll be a blue http//: thing, either delete or backspace on it, and PASTE your URL there..
and click on ADD REPLY...

Holler if you need more help..
*sometimes I leave a step out*

#144584 July 13th, 2006 at 05:45 AM
OP Offline
Now I've gotten busy at work so I'll try to get it asap!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard