This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#14436 February 8th, 2004 at 12:29 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Can anyone tell me how to break apart a bosten fern? I think this one of mine needs a new start, it was just beautiful last fall, and right now, it is as sad as I have ever seen it. Do they like to be in larger pots?

Aurorastreams

#14437 February 8th, 2004 at 12:46 AM
Forum Hostess
Forum Hostess
Hi....

Ferns do not like to be overcrowded or pot bound and if yours is...it is time to repot it. This is best done in the spring. When repotting, choose a pot that is one size larger then the one it is in now. When you do repot...the fern can be divided into multiple plants. You will find that it probably will pull apart fairly easily....if not...you can cut it with a clean knife. Last time I did this to my fern, I pulled it apart into 4 different plants.

Good luck!

#14438 February 8th, 2004 at 04:17 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Before dividing or repotting your Boston fern, it is best to determine why it is not doing well. There is no proper cure if you don't know the cause.

Boston ferns that are outside in the summer often languish when they are brought inside in the winter. It is the change in light that is the prime cause of this winter deterioration. Placing it in a brighter spot may help.

Letting the soil get too dry in winter is also a problem. Ferns do not tolerate dryness at all. In fact, a tightly potted plant is almost impssible to overwater.

Repotting is only appropriate when the plant is so potbound that it is difficult to keep the roots moist for more than a couple of days after a thorough watering.

Wait until your plant is healthy and quite rootbound before dividing it.

#14439 February 16th, 2004 at 01:21 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks Will, I live in the far North, so, this plant is never outside, but the low light over the winter may be the cause, I will wait a bit till the days get longer, and hope it helps. Thanks for the information!

Aurorastreams

Link Copied to Clipboard