This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#143897 January 22nd, 2006 at 10:08 PM
O
oppguy Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Anyone have advice for a gardener who's losing his eyesight?
I still have 60% vision in my left eye and about 15% in my right.
How does one grow what one cannot see?

#143898 January 23rd, 2006 at 01:21 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Some grow things by the other senses'....

By touch, some plants like a lambs ear....
It's so soft and fuzzy to the touch..

By scent, sweet smelling flowers...
lily of the valley's once planted are almost self suffient and no care...

And you should start planning now, how to get around, or where you want to garden...
If out in your land, you should put up a walk path, that will not let you fall.. or slip or stumble and have a handy railing or string to pole arrangement that as you walk you can guide your hands over and know your way..
Nothing like grass to slip on, or have a mole dig a hole up thru.. catch a cane tip on ...

and also with the other senses' you should have things you can hear along your path..
Like hearing, like a waterfountain or windchime, so you know just about where you are..in the garden...

or if you do garden on your porch a series of pots/containers, in a row at certain levels you can agree with and feel comfortable with..

I know I have seen tools, like a trowel, that has engraved depths to it too, so you can put your hand/fingertips on them and be able to know the depth you are digging with....

Oh there is soooooo many ways to still garden...
don't give up... and learn now, just in case for later...
Like when pruning, feel your way on your plant now, with your eyes completely closed.. and feel how they feel... and then open your eyes, then figure out where you'd cut or prune.. and feel that out again... and get used to how it feels...

thumbup gab cool

#143899 January 23rd, 2006 at 01:48 AM
I would have never thought of some of that stuff Weezie.

My first though was different sizes and shapes of containers. You will know what is in them based on what size and shape it is. Same for storing planting supplies, soil in one sized bin, compost in another.

#143900 February 6th, 2006 at 03:11 AM
oppguy~ My Mom has 15% in her left eye and is totally blind in her right and she still gardens. We have set up her porch with all different sized containers. She has flowers, veggies, herbs and a water attraction every year. She uses a lot of annuals instead of perennials because of how vibrant the bloom colours are. Don't give up. Weezie has some great tips!

Donna flw

Link Copied to Clipboard