This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#143854 September 21st, 2006 at 12:05 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Hello All,

just wanted to do an official introduction. A lady here from the area sort of already introduced me.

My name is Peggy Snyder. I'm 44 and live in TriCity, Douglas County, Oregon.

I am a newlywed with a new house and a new (er, old) 1/2 acre plot of land that our home sets on, that is really a clean start. I can plant as my heart desires and as my income can support! LOL

Patty, the lady who told me about this place and introduced me gave me some iris starts, and I can not begin to tell you how thankful I am for them. We moved here last October and what was here in terms of flowers were passion flower, two rhodies, and two snapdragon plants. Since then the passion flower has grown like a weed, one rhodie has died and the other has never bloomed, and the snapdragons... well, seems to me like you can't kill em! LOL And they are pretty enough that I do not want to.

This spring I planted sweet peas and to my dismay they did not do well. I planted tomatos and they did very well. This year was marked by a lack of water... our local water company prices are outrageous. But, we found a well on or property and cleaned it out. Once we have a pump up and running then, we can water the whole yard and water will no longer be an issue.

A friend of mine gave me some koi, and I hope to move those closer to the house and to plant all around the pond, lot's of green.. and flowers...

I also have a garden area, where I guess years ago, a contractor who was building behind us took off the top soil and the older folks living here didn't have the energy to stop them. So our garden area is nothing but clay. It is impossible to till... but grows great weeds! I'm hoping to build that area up too.

Anyways, that's me! smile Have a good one, peggy

#143855 September 21st, 2006 at 12:11 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Yikes!! I forgot to mention that I had two years of horticulture training way back when... in high school. I lived on a farm in Ohio where my garden was an acre in size and where my flowers grew like weeds! LOL. But, I do not conisder myself in anyway, shape or form a 'master gardener".. but I'm not sure i'm exactly a beginner either.. except that i'm in a new zone. (My keyboard is dieing, please excuse puncutation mistakes, they are not purposeful)

Thanks again, peg

#143856 September 21st, 2006 at 12:18 AM
wavey Hello & welcome Peggy. And Congratulations on being a newlywed!Good luck on your new home & new husband and all of your plantings! And we like to see pics! grinnnn

#143857 September 21st, 2006 at 12:24 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Hi, Peggy..... wavey
Welcome to the forum!
Nice to meet you!

Cindy

PS...I removed your email address from your signature line for your protection.

#143858 September 21st, 2006 at 12:25 AM
Hi Peggy!

Welcome to the Forum.

Its nice to meet you and i am sure you will love it here!

#143859 September 21st, 2006 at 04:38 AM
Hello, and welcome to the forum!!!

Hope to see you around!!!

wavey

#143860 September 21st, 2006 at 03:50 PM
Hello Peggy wavey
Welcome to the forum
Nice to meet you.
flw flw flw

#143861 September 21st, 2006 at 06:36 PM
[Linked Image]

Use 55 gal drums or even big plastic trash cans to collect rainwater from your downspouts. A real money and water saver. Just be sure to have some sort of screen on top to keep out critters and a way to close them between rains to keep out mosquitoes.

#143862 September 29th, 2006 at 04:40 AM
P
OP Offline
P
ksgardener: It's funny, that you mention pictures.. i was just thinking I should go aorund and do 'before' pictures. We got this place on a VA loan, and the VA required the people who lived here before us to haul out their junk cars and so forth. ONe of the things we had to do was take out blackberries that were well over 15 feet up and into the trees out back down. I just decided today that this would be my "butterfly" corner. We've decided to take down two of the cottonwoods back there (one is "bleeding" --honestly, I don't know what else to call it, but i'd say it's sick. And we are going to go ahead and take out the Cedar out front. It's been either hit by lightening or just trimmed wierd. I found four baby mimosa in my flower bed out front, so they are in pots, and after the cedar is down, then the mimosa's will take their place in the front yard.

My husband is very excited about trying to garden with straw as I saw in the frugal gardening area, so we are officially looking for straw or hay now. LOL... anyways, I'll get those pictures up as soon as I can.

Thank you, Cindy on the email address. My life is so open, I forget about things like that.

Wrennie! Yes, on those drums! Five gallon buckets don't cut it in a downpour... LOL, I'm out there emptying buckets into the beds that are kept from the rain by the eaves! So, I can collect even more! LOL..

thanks, hugs, Peg

Link Copied to Clipboard