This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Since I don't get out much, getting away for a few days this summer was a real treat. I know how boring it is to look at someone else's vacation pictures (sitting in their living room watching home videos or their slide shows is worse), but here, you don't have to look if you don't want to! grinnnn

I've invited Triss & her family to join us next summer at my cousin's annual pig roast & camp-out, so she's gearing her family up, & I wanted to show her the setting. This happens not far from Cedar Hill, so we're planning to meet at Bill's place first (& will try to kidnap him & take him along... cuz he doesn't seem to get out much, either!)

Cousin Andy (those who didn't grow up with him, call him "Drew") has been hosting a "Pig Out Party" for the past 5 years or so, & this year he decided to entice more family to attend, by calling it a "family reunion", in celebration of his Mom & Dad's 50th anniversary.

I don't think that any more of our relatives were there this year than there has been in the past, but our oldest daughter came for an 11 day visit from Maui & wanted to see as many family members as possible, so it was a good opportunity for her to see 1st, 2nd & 3rd cousins that she hasn't seen since she was little!

Andy has thought of everything for this shindig, & has electricity avaible to those who want to plug in their campers. (Or their tents... my youngest girl needs to use her curling iron before she'll leave her tent in the mornings!) laugh He also accommodates the kids with fun things for them to do, & it always turns out to be worth the 386 mile trip for us. (Besides, it's only 32 miles from Cedar Hill!) clp

This is his (huge) back yard. (Notice all the tents going up.) This is the quieter section, where people with kids & critters grab a spot, away from the noises of the evening activity.
[Linked Image] My Cousin, Debbie, & daughter Shelly.

Here, you can see the horseshoe pit & volleyball net. People can fill their afternoon with competition here (or in the gazebo with Texas Holdem), horsing around, just visiting, or playing at the river (which flows right behind the property) while the pig turns on the spit.
[Linked Image]
My two boys ...doing the boy stuff they grew up doing. (They don't usually stop until somebody bleeds, but MOM stepped in this time... I didn't think other people realized that this is the way they show their affection for each other!) :rolleyes:

There is a stand of trees between the back yard camping area & the part where there's a turnaround drive for campers (& more tents). A nice pathway cuts through, & the Porta-Potty & the big fire pit are here.
[Linked Image]
Daughter (LaRelle) & her boy friend (Tyler)

Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Did I mention horsing around? Usually its the little kids who play with the water guns, but here again our oldest son (Dave) has strange ways of showing affection, & soaks his wife down every chance he gets! [Linked Image]
(She surprised him this time, & brought a HUGE Super-Soaker! When he ran out of water, she got him good!) laugh

A couple Yaeger Bombs, & you too can hold a row boat above your head with one hand! laugh
[Linked Image]
Youngest son (Lincoln) & Granddaughter ("BG")
Just beyond where Amy was getting watered (4th photo), there is a boat suspended from a couple Oak trees. The kids just love it! (Someone is always watching... there were no casualties!)

Not normally included in the annual Pig Out, was the baby shower we threw for Shelly in the backyard Gazebo. Early in the evening, a band plugs into the power box there & we have live entertainment & do lots of dancing on the grass.
[Linked Image]
My Mom (Naomi), Shelly (with Lil' Naomi still in the oven for another 10 weeks), Me (a happy Grama) & My sister (Carol ~~ a member here, but not addicted to us ...YET!)

Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
After everyone worked up an appetite, the pig came off the spit. (Sometimes half of a pig is on the spit while another half cooks in the ground... depending on how many people are expected.) Andy foots the bill for the pig, the entertainment, the kegs of beer, & rents a Porta-potty. Some people donate toward his expenses, but all he asks is that the guests potluck the rest of the meal.
[Linked Image]
Andy, Dave & Brent served it up.
[Linked Image](I can't figure this out... Keith doesn't care for it much when I burn his dinner, yet he'll drive nearly 400 miles every summer to eat something that looks like I cooked it!) [Linked Image]

I wanted to fill my plate while the pig was hot, so I didn't get a shot of all the food... but somebody brought a "Mud Cake" (Oreo cookies & something else, I think.) Duh People loved it! [Linked Image]
Oh... the flowers were plastic!

Tummies full, but before the evening party began, I rounded up my brood & got pics taken! It had been 3 years since all our kids were together in the same place. clp
[Linked Image]
Shelly, Dave, LaRelle & Lincoln.

Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Night time at the fire pit. This is large enough that everyone can pull up their lawn chairs & kick back without crowding! People make smores, drink, sing, tell jokes ...and take pictures of people taking pictures of them!
[Linked Image]
That was Dave, taking a shot at me. I'd never given much thought to his having an aura... but I don't think I expected it to be so big!!) sca

In the evening we all enjoy live music for a while (& the whole neighborhood hears it... but they're at the party anyway!) After dark the electric guitars are put away & replaced by the quieter acoustics, for pickin' & grinnin'.
[Linked Image]
Next summer, Lincoln (above) & his pals will provide the live music, so Andy won't have to hire a band. (This was Linc's first year there, & he's definitely going back!) I'm hoping that he'll brush up on a wider variety of music than he normally plays, but we all enjoyed his fireside entertainment this year!

I don't know who this is... he brought a tent, but couldn't remember where he pitched it! (Didn't seem unhappy in the least!)
[Linked Image]
Guess who was awake before anyone else the next morning?! laugh

Some people might wake up with horrendous headaches, but the griddles & coffee makers get plugged in by the early risers, then sausage, eggs & hash browns (& whatever else gets thrown in for breakfast) keep coming until everyone has been fed!

Half of the people who attend are Drew's friends (& anyone they drag along). We have a huge close-knit family which comprises the other half (& anyone we drag along)! I always enjoy Andy's Pig Out parties because even though there are around 50 people who stay for the duration & camp out, there are never any personality conficts or "bad" behavior. Everyone just has a good time!

(Triss, tell Dan not to forget his harmonicas!) [Linked Image]

Oh man Patty, that looks like SO MUCH FUN! I am so there next year! Reserve us a spot somewhere! Cannot wait!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very cool Patty....I loved seeing all of these pictures! kissies

If I were there me and Mark would look a lot like that picture of Dave and his wife! laugh

So COOL!!!!Looks like a blast! how fun...
Loved the pics...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
if i could get there, count me in laugh laugh unfortunately, it is only about 2950.76 miles according to mapquest. i thought it was a little farther, so i'll have to check out how they would send us.

Looks like everyone had a great time!!!

Great Pictures Patty, thanks for sharing.

Looks like a party! [Linked Image]

Wish I lived closer...I love big bonfires and music...such fun! thumbup

Well ya know Jiffy, it would be a great summer vacation next year. You would get to see at least FOUR forum memebers once you get here, not to mention who knows how many on the way out. And see Bill as well!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yep... i've thought about it. we'll just have to see how the year goes. scott and i talked about flying to california and driving up the coast. then flying home. who knows, we'll just have to see what next year brings....

LaRelle, what a pretty name. (the way I prounce it anyway) Was she named after someone?

I tried to scroll and find out the answer to this before I ask, but I didn't find the first part of your vacation, so, where did this take place and why was there someone there you didn't know?

Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by Bestofour:
LaRelle, what a pretty name. (the way I prounce it anyway) Was she named after someone?
Thanks, Sheri! I got the name from a lady I worked with when I was pregnant. I'd never heard that name before & it sounded pretty to me, too. (I guess it's French, & that's the reason for the two capital letters.) I know that many people say they don't like the name they were given ...myself included, but LaRelle has always loved hers!
We have since met one other person with the same name.
("LaRelle" rhymes with Patti LaBelle's last name.)
I didn't find the first part of your vacation
Actually, there were four parts to our quick vacation. ("Quick", because we could only take 4 days to do it all!)

Our first stop was at Triss's, where we met her family, plugged our Motor home in for the night & went on a picnic at a lake near their house, so she could meet our 2 daughters & youngest son. -> Patty\'s Visit . (She had already met our oldest son when she came to our house, a month earlier.) -> Triss\'s getaway to points south!

The Pig Out Party was our second stop.

The third stop was -> A wonderful visit with Bill at beautiful Cedar Hill .

Our last stop was at my sister's house for a mini-reunion with her family. They couldn't make it to the pig roast, & her kids & our kids hadn't been together for about 5 years. (I figured that people here had already seen enough pictures of people they'd never even heard of, so I didn't post any of it!)

where did this take place and why was there someone there you didn't know?
All of our stops were in Washington state, the nearest being 200 miles from our home in SW Oregon, & the farthest point was Bill's, at 417 miles.

There were quite a few people we didn't know at the Pig Out Party/Family Reunion this year, because half them were my cousin's friends & the other half were our relatives. (At a Palooza like that, it's not important to know everybody! You just kick back & have fun together... sort of like a giant Tail Gate party!)

(The video of our visit with Bill is in the "cutting room" being resized at the moment, so it'll fit into PhotoBucket. I should be able to post a link to it within the next few days.)

Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Originally posted by loz:
If I were there me and Mark would look a lot like that picture of Dave and his wife! laugh
If I were there I'd look like this guy...

[Linked Image]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
laugh With a bottle of beam in one hand huh? laugh

So is the Pig Out Reunion YOUR family reunion?

Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by Bestofour:
So is the Pig Out Reunion YOUR family reunion?
Yes, my side of the family, Sheri... that's sorta why my Mom & sister were there! grinnnn It isn't a "family reunion" every year, though. Cousin Andy has been hosting his "Pig Out Party" for the past 5 years or so, & it's an open invitation thing, for anyone who wants to attend. This year he decided to entice more family to join in, by calling it a "family reunion", in celebration of his Mom & Dad's 50th anniversary. (His Mom is my Dad's sister.)

That looks like so much fun.
Hope you all enjoyed it.

Loved the pics Patty! I always enjoy seeing other people's photos and family gatherings. I would love to bring my popup there and camp with all of ya'! That roasted pig looked delicious and I love listening to someone playing a guitar and enjoying a bonfire & s'mores. May have to coax the hubby in going to Oregon. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard