This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#143071 September 30th, 2006 at 04:28 AM
BeckyB Offline OP
OP Offline
Merme came to Bangor for a class required for her ordination so we got to hang out together.
We didn't get any pics cuz it was spur of the moment that we were able to get together and, due to the nature of her trip, we didn't get to go on any exciting outtings.
We went to lunch, had coffee too, naturally. Then back to her motel to have what else? more coffee and chat!
The boys took right to her, I was amazed! They take to some people sooner than others, but I've never seen them warm up to someone as soon as "Miss Mermaid." Course it probably helped that she fed them.
I'm going to try to get down to Old Orchard sometime soon.
I can't wait for Merme to get home and see what she posts about our meeting.

#143072 September 30th, 2006 at 04:36 AM
Becky, I am so happy the two of you got to meet up!!! I bet it was a very nice break for her to be able to sit and relax and chat for a while before she jumps back into the crazy weekend she has ahead of her. And for you to meet up with her and have the boys do so well with her.

#143073 September 30th, 2006 at 06:17 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh man, that is so cool for both of you! thumbup

How far apart are you from each other?

#143074 September 30th, 2006 at 07:11 AM
I am so happy the two of you got to meet! Too bad there were no pics! Looking forward to Merme's description of it as well- it sounds like a great time was had by all! clp clp

#143075 September 30th, 2006 at 07:37 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
NO PICTURES eek eek eek wink
But at least you got to meet..
That is sooooooooo exciting for you two, and us!!! cool thumbup grinnnn clp
Thanks for sharing all of your fun meetings' with us..

#143076 September 30th, 2006 at 08:54 AM
How exciting for Becky and Merme - and the boys too!!!
I'm so glad it worked out well for all of you - hope you are able to get together again soon - and this time WE MUST HAVE PICTURES!

And Merme... I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you last summer - I'm so wishing I could do that trip all over again, but right next time!

#143077 September 30th, 2006 at 12:03 PM
Becky, thanks for the preliminary report!
When forum family members meet, it's such a treat for us all! flw

I'm not surprised that she connected with the kids right off, as her gentle spirit makes her the type that they'd generate toward! I'm looking forward to reading her account of the visit, & would like to thank you both (half in advance) for sharing your meeting with us...even without pics!

But now you guys owe us, you know!
[Linked Image]

#143078 October 1st, 2006 at 12:30 AM
That is neat you all got to meet!Thanks for sharing:-) cannot wait to hear from Merme too:-)

#143079 October 1st, 2006 at 03:33 AM
clp clp How nice that must have been!! Well you know when children take to a person so quickly that persons spirit just shines of goodness and children just seems to recognize it cool Soo Glad you got to meet up!

Sure wish there were Pictures eek

#143080 October 1st, 2006 at 12:07 PM
Hi everyone ~ Becky is too flattering. The truth is, SHE has adorable children who stole my heart instantly!! Great kids; really great kids. I was sorry we didn't have time or weather to take the boys someplace fantastic but I gaurantee you we'll be dreaming up something wonderful before too long.

Also, Becky is being polite. She didn't reveal to y'all the MESS I was in when we met or... what an undisguised angel she was.

Ok, so here's the story...

WEEKS before I went to Bangor, I called the hotel several times to ask detailed questions considering my special needs. In at least two of those conversations, I was given false information by the front desk person, but I didn't find that out until the mess was upon me.

When I arrived at the Greyhound station in Bangor, I noted the phone number of a passing taxi and when I was ready, I called the company. Mistake #1. When I finally got in the cab, I simply gave the driver the address given to me by the front desk at the hotel for a place that was supposed to be a Soup & sandwich restaurant where I could eat and wait until it was time for registration and Becky's arrival. Mistake #2.

The taxi dropped me as requested at the place where I'd been told to go AND had arranged to meet Becky 1 1/2 hours later. It was not at all as described to me; not at all. It wasn't even a restaurant.

It was the equivalent of a truck stop for cars and the hordes of customers stood in long lines to first order and then pick up their food to go outside and eat in their cars.

Well now. There I am in my wheelchair with my big heavy bag (carrying all my spare parts) and my smaller heavy bag (carrying my entire life) in the pouring rain alongside a highway with no sidewalks.

It was an impossible situation for me to be in. So I did the sensible thing: I panicked!

I had no idea where else to go; I thought Becky would be unavailable for quite some time; the pavement beneath the pay phone was so slanted I had the worst time trying to roll up close enough to the phone to use it. THEN, in my frenzy, I couldn't find my change purse in whichever one of 19,000 luggage pockets it was in. An elderly, very elegant gentleman handed me two quarters for the phone.

It was a mess. Fortunately, I caught Becky at home and she cheerfully volunteered to come earlier and fetch me outta there.

So when she arrived, what did she find?

Merme, sitting like a forlorn damp waif ensconced in car exhaust and the smell of fried foods, in a state of utter exhaustion and starvation quite the tizzy!

Not knowing what her car would look like, or even what she would look like, I sat there dazed while she pulled up right in front of me then got out to chirp "Hey Lady, want a ride?"

She sounded like an entire choir of rescuing angels!

While her two children were sleeping contentedly in their carseats, she wrestled my luggage and my wheelchair into the trunk, standing in all that rain to tie the load securely. Pushed me into the car, taught me how to use a modern seatbelt and hauled me off to a real restaurant where I gratefully let cup after cup of needed coffee be poured down my throat while her darling little ones kept us well entertained and made me forget all about the earlier disasters.

So by the time she got me to my hotel, I was feeling rather restored -- well, as much as I can be restored on less than 3 hours sleep in 24. Going in the door, I discovered Mistake #3. The hotel really wasn't handicapped accessible in spite of all their ads to the contrary.

Fortunately, Becky kept her wits about her and helped me get to my room -- which was UP a sweeping staircase and about 2 miles down heavy carpeted hallways. Her children had fun playing all along those halls that seemed more like airport runways for superjets than what you'd expect to find in a simple "Inn". They ran, they rolled, they took turns pushing my chair.

FINALLY arriving at my room, Becky, still being Woman of the Hour, relocated my lost key, made a pot of coffee and just let me sit.

As wiped out as I was, the visit was over far too soon and I can't wait to meet up with them again. And next time, she won't have to arrive like the Good Ship Hope to save me asea in a tidal wave of disasters!

Now I know what NOT to do while visiting Bangor and I have been treated once again to a lovely definition of the word "friend".

Thanks, BeckyB.

Merme

#143081 October 1st, 2006 at 12:11 PM
Ohhh that just brings tears to my eyes. Friendship is indeed a thing to be treasured and you are an ANGEL Becky. I am so glad you both got to meet and hope the next time you get together, it is for loads and loads of FUN!!!

#143082 October 1st, 2006 at 08:18 PM
Thats wonderful to hear Merme, that you had an Angel there to help you like that.
Its a shame that there are no pictures but you can almost see it when you close your eyes!

#143083 October 1st, 2006 at 09:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
so glad it worked out! and so glad you got to meet.

#143084 October 1st, 2006 at 10:13 PM
Merme, I'm so glad Becky was there for you kissies (That's so cute that your kids dubbed her that!)

Let me know the next time you ladies get together, I would love to join you for a three-way!

#143085 October 1st, 2006 at 10:42 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Ditto on everything Triss kissies kissies that was soooooo very nice of you..
Let me know the next time you ladies get together, I would love to join you for a three-way!
Now that would be an awesome day...

Okay, how far are all 3 of you away from each other?

*And Merme, you've got to write some books..
you just tell stories so wonderfully that keeps you wanting to read the next sentence...*

#143086 October 1st, 2006 at 10:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow, way to go Becky! thumbup

A three way sounds sort of kinky, but I say go for it! wink laugh

#143087 October 1st, 2006 at 10:44 PM
thumbup

#143088 October 1st, 2006 at 10:50 PM
I'm about an hour north of Merme and Becky is about 2 hours north of me. Does that sound about right, girls???? I think I've only been to Bangor once (on a bus) and I can't remember exactly how long it took to get there.

#143089 October 1st, 2006 at 11:01 PM
I agree with Weezie - I'm wanting to read the next chapter right now!

Merme - I'm so sorry you were so mislead by so many - it just boils my blood! mad
But... I'm so very glad and thankful that Becky came to your rescue. kissies kissies

I wish I could be part of your 3-some - make it a 4-some?
Since I was up in Maine a year ago, it seems like it is so close... yet so far...!
Six hours is just not around the corner, unfortunately, but I can taste it!

Have you updated us on how the rest of the trip went yet, Merme?

#143090 October 1st, 2006 at 11:33 PM
Merme!! No pictures needed for that meeting!
Reading your words was like watching a video,, no picture could have captured your detail with such vivid color kissies I'm sooo glad you two got to meet! And meeting Angels as well!!. The gentleman giving you quarters will be blessed for sure, tho it was a small gesture, the kindness will come back to him when it's needed!

clp clp

Becky , What a true Angel you are , you'll be blessed beyond measure.. I can just see your kids taking turns pushing Merme , cool and having fun carefree of the circumstances,, The innocense of children wink laugh

#143091 October 2nd, 2006 at 12:06 AM
Mel ~ while we were together, Becky and I did converse about trying to get the three of us together at one time. That would definitely be a blast, especially if we could involve all the children (yours, mine and hers) in some splendid adventure.

Merme

#143092 October 2nd, 2006 at 12:37 AM
BeckyB Offline OP
OP Offline
Also, Becky is being polite. She didn't reveal to y'all the MESS I was in when we met or... what an undisguised angel she was.
shocked shocked kissies
I kept telling Merme, that's what we're here for. We're a family.

wink thumbup
You bet!

especially if we could involve all the children (yours, mine and hers) in some splendid adventure
sca sca
That could be scary...

#143093 October 2nd, 2006 at 12:40 AM
BeckyB Offline OP
OP Offline
Merme, the boys are still talking about you!
David asked DJ this morning as we were leaving for church: "Do you want to go see Miss Mermaid again and help her clean up her mess?"
DJ agreed!

At the time I couldn't figure out what kind of mess we were going to be cleaning up until I read your post. You must have said something about a mess on Friday.

I would like to know how the rest of your trip went. Did you start a thread?

#143094 October 2nd, 2006 at 12:43 AM
Originally posted by BeckyB:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="3" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
[QUOTE] Let me know the next time you ladies get together, I would love to join you for a three-way!
wink thumbup
You bet!

especially if we could involve all the children (yours, mine and hers) in some splendid adventure
thumbup If you guys could get to Bath I can get you here to my house! I've got room too for a overnight so we can stay up and clp And the beach is 5 minutes away! Beach walks are fabulous right now.

#143095 October 2nd, 2006 at 01:05 AM
BeckyB Offline OP
OP Offline
Mel, sounds like a great plan!
I won't be able to make it down anytime this month, maybe at the end.
I'm getting really excited!
clp

Link Copied to Clipboard